To all the cops

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jack, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Hey,

If I recall correctly, some of the members here are policemen. I'm currently keeping my mind open to all possibilities of jobs and so have a few questions to propose to anyone who is or has been a policeman.

- Why did you want to become a policeman?

- What do you most enjoy about the job?

- What do you most dislike about the job?

- What sort of working ethic do you have?

- What sort of commitment outside of working hours is required?

- How often do you have to deal with distressing situations?

- How much "risk" would you say there is?

- Describe how you feel about the job

- What are the hours and pay like?

- What advice would you give to a kid who may be considering a career in the police. Not just about joining up, but about finding out if its the right job for them etc. etc.

Many thanks.

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Why not consider being an 'ambo'?

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I too have a few questions to put to any coppers who happen to read this thread-
    how much does it cost to be just released back into the crowd should I happen to be arrested at, say a demo?
    Is it true that policemen get the best weed?
    Can I have some?
    All meant in fun.

4. Jack

Jack Valued Member

an "ambo", Jim? :)

KE - hehe.

5. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

- Why did you want to become a policeman?

Long held ambition from childhood, wanted something different from the normal 9-5 grind.

- What do you most enjoy about the job?

Arresting people, locking up some little piece of pond life that has taken something from someone that went to work and earned everything they own, just so the pond scum didnt have to work.

- What do you most dislike about the job?

that the service we give is not good enough,mainly due to the fact there arent enough of us for the amount of stuff for us to deal with

- What sort of working ethic do you have?

deal with everything as if it had happened to someone i know and care about.

- What sort of commitment outside of working hours is required?

after training very little

- How often do you have to deal with distressing situations?

depends on your description of distressing, my jobs that i attended yesterday, an indecent assault on a 13 yrs old girl, a husband and wife domestic and an arrest of a street robber.

- How much "risk" would you say there is?

more than working in an office but most of the risk you can legislate and prepare for

- Describe how you feel about the job

i love it, i feel like i'm doing something worthwhile and that i have the oppurtunity to make a difference, corny but true

- What are the hours and pay like?

average of 40 hrs per week, pay level for the nature of the work is good

- What advice would you give to a kid who may be considering a career in the police. Not just about joining up, but about finding out if its the right job for them etc. etc.

dont join the specials, has no bearing on what the job is like, if its just a "give it a try thing" then dont if its a " i really fancy trying that" then do.

hope that helps if not and you want any more specific info e mail me. I've been in 5 years and work in an inner city division with a high incidence of street crime and firearms incidents.

And in answer to the other questions!!!!

ambo's get very poorly paid here, 2 ex ones on my shift.

how much does it cost to be just released back into the crowd should I happen to be arrested at, say a demo?

nothing, no charge for bail in the UK

Is it true that policemen get the best weed?

could have access to in siezing it.

Can I have some?

yes if i wanted to spend the next 5 years in prison.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2003