TKMA and social networking

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by JTMS, Dec 14, 2011.

1. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I have been posting on facebook for a while now. I have noticed an increase in my student base, an opportunity to get to know other Kuk Sool/Hapkido teachers that I feel sure I would not have got to know otherwise, and had several great exchanges of ideas and information. Having pointed all of this out I have also noticed a decline in participation here on MAP. Could it be that the martial arts forums are becoming a thing of the past?:thinking:

2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Well, I don't do FB (for several reasons) but I have to agree with you about the ghost town this sub-forum, as well as the HKD sub-forum, has become lately (in fact the HKD section of MAP is even deader than here, although I do believe the HKD community is better represented on some other MA blogs, which isn't the case for kuk-sool). :(

3. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

FB is where it's at :)

4. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I would encourage you to try the fb thing out UNK! I have a few friends there that communicate anonymously via a made up "handle". I get to choose with whom I communicate and can ignore the others. It's alot of fun.:cool:

5. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i do enjoy the exclusivity of the social networking sites. if i dont want a ninjas, chunners, or mma-ers opinion on how we do things, i dont need to read it. although this is possible through this site as well, communicating to exactly the crowd i want to is simply easier on fb.

the only possible reason i like this site more is that anonimity(sp?) has its advantages for the more 'grown and sexy' than myself. what i mean is that whole discussions can happen on here similar to those i have with my hyeong-je over beer or a little lagavulin after hard practise. on fb, you gotta go through a few hoops to keep people from seeing what you really think.

6. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Lol! I guess I am to transparent, as I usually always say what I think. It amazes me that I have never even had a temporary ban here on MAP!!! I can even recall losing my head once and purchasing a plane ticket to Chicago ..... and there was that road trip to Oklahoma City ...... But I digress. Actually I communicate with my MAP friends on FB more than I do on MAP. I think the only reason I look at MAP now is to keep tabs on UNK.
    :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

7. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

it has to be said that without this i wouldnt have met so many of the people i communicate now with.... too bad unkn wont hop on fb!

8. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Master Murphy,

How have you increased your student base through FB? Is it through friends of friends? New people finding your pages? Ads?

Can you tell us more about it, from a marketing perspective?

Thanks

9. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I must confess there is no method to my madness. Lol, People just seem to "friend"that me and my schools have definitely grown as a result. Also JTMS is growing too. It has been a great tool for networking and communications with friends in Korea.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I suppose that if you only want to interract with those from your own art then maybe, but surely there are forums dedicated to particular arts which you could also use?

MAP's purpose has always been to bring people together for the purpose of the friendly exchange of information relating to the study of the Martial Arts and associated topics, not to do that in isolation by art.

Personally I've enjoyed a lot of what I've learnt from KS/HKD practicioners, as well as karateka, judoka etc etc. Even some Muay Thai and MMA people have strung together a coherent sentence every now and then despite their lack of pyjamas :D

Horses for courses and all that I suppose :)

Mitch

11. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

X2!!:cool:

12. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

At least you don't get jumped-up 'Thought Police', handing out their little bans every so often, on Facebook! You can say what you want, and then you live by your words. By which, I mean, you stick your head above the parapet, make some cretinous comment, and your peers will soon shoot you down over it.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I never look at it as "thought police" on MAP - That implication is that they control what you say. They don't - they just concern themselves with HOW you say it

14. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

There is no thought policing going on. When you read the ToS when you signed up you agreed that you would post in a courteous etc way. We only moderate personal attacks, trolling, advertising and the like.

If you'd like a 'freer' place to discuss, I'm sure you would be welcome over at Bullshido. Or maybe not...

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

if they really want no mods try /b/ on 4chan.

the degraded spiral of nonsensical often scary posts will sending them running back to MAP.

god that places scares me!

16. Llamageddon

Well, frankly, if people aren't prepared to follow the rules they wont last long, so they're free to go to /b/ or bullshido or stand outside their house screaming if they like.

17. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

The op wasn't about "abiding by the rules" but rather the importance and lack of popularity of sites like this in the face of today's social networks. :bang:

18. Llamageddon

And my posts weren't directed at that OP. :bang:

19. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

???? Ok? Are you suggesting that I start a thread on abiding by the rules? Or are you just upset that I am pointing out that MAP is not nearly as popular as it used to be?

In other words: someone pointed out how bad some other forums are and you give your typical response for all things: "obey the rules or get out!" And no rules have been broken lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011
  20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i thought it was common knowledge the MAP isnt popular with some forms of TKMA because of the unspoken rules made by certain TKMA organisations.
    there are in fact threads on it.
    very few people actually post within their own style subforum anyway, except Ninjutsu of course as we like discussing combat in general with people from a variety of styles, hence why hapkido peeps like Mikey and lea dont post in hapkido very often.
    i wouldnt be able to talk to people various backgrounds on facebook, hence why the forum is important.