TKDI World Champs.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Taliar, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

Well, maybe I'm an exception, but I must admit there were questionable decisions given both FOR and AGAINST the fighters I coached... :)

Gizmo

2. Gould

Gould Valued Member

I have to agree with you.. i guess with the comp being international the regional/national variations of judging comes into play with what is classed an acceptable technique in one organisation is different to another.

I guess we can all take points away to make the next competition even better.( well lets hope so).

On the point of musical patterns, the standard wasn't what you would expect for a world champs... but the sparring def made up for it!.

3. ALPHADEANO

ALPHADEANO U knows it Clart

Im just wondering wether the competition was open from any taekwondo organisations.
    It seems just tagb from uk is this correct?

Unfortunately judging in most semi contact sparring Ive seen has been bad.
    You get people favouring there own fighters, or nationality, blaightanely allowing illegal and dangerous techniques, and allowing too much contact.
    Or a fighter barely touching there apponent and disqualifing them for exessive contact. Ive had this just tapped an opponent and they dive.

Ah well looks like it went wll though.

4. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

The TKDI world champs was open to all British Taekwond-do Council affliliated associations. from all taekwondo styles this is why juche was on the accepted patterns list TAGB dont practice juche but it was included to accomodate the ITF.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  5. ALPHADEANO

From what ive heard it was a good event, and I like the way they incorporated wtf sparring and musical forms destruction ect... very well rounded.

What Id like to see is a taekwondo world championships that is truly open to ANY taekwondo group, with wtf and itf patterns, sparring and destruction.

Has this been done before?
    a true open comp to any taekwondo style.

6. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

too much to organise! it's a mission organising comps, let alone 100% open. how can you prove all the schools are legitimate and have proper insurance etc...it would be too hard to organise, so i guess no one wants to do it

7. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

Competitions like the Euro-Cup in Germany are open to all TKD groups, as well as other martial arts exponents. There are many open TKD competitions throughout Europe, even if they are not named "World Championships".

Gizmo

8. ALPHADEANO

r

See the thing is like in all competitions there are hundreds of different world tkd champions out there.
    I just think it would be nice to have a "best of the best true champion".

but as Cavilon was saying that would be a nightmare to organise.
    Also if you think of the number of people who practice tkd around the world and say 1% competed in this tournament you'd pobably need something like a olymic style village for them.

Therefor we'll just have to live with hundreds of tkd world champions.

My only grudge with this is some are true champions and capable.
    And othes are not so because of easy competition, any way enough babling, I really should stop babling so much on here.

9. Dusky

Dusky New Member

Inspired by fantasic men.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  10. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

indeed he will, wow you have some of the best in your club, havnt you

11. john_bcfc

john_bcfc New Member

TAGB Tae Kwon Do World Championships

yo, i was just wondering whether anybody from the Tagb went to the World Champs in Cardiff and whether they have any videos which i could see of the fights which took place...thanks :)

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I went, watched and really enjoyed it all, but didn't get any footage. I've heard the DVD should be out shortly, so that may be your best source.

It was interesting in that there were ITF and WTF bouts taking place. I prefer our style, but there's still plenty to learn from those WTF guys. Fantastic footwork.

Also interesting to watch clashes of style; I saw several bouts where a "scrapper" lost out to a "sparrer", ie an attcking or heavy contact focussed fighter lost out to a counterattcking or ringcraft focussed sparrer. Classic example was Becky Riggs fighting a much heavier girl in the team event and winning by hitting and running. A couple of audience members next to me thought the other competitor was robbed because she constantly came forward; I thought Becky won because she played the game better (and showed real guts against a much bigger opponent)...

All IMHO of course.

Mitch

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The spelling is Joseph Schembri ;) , sorry to be a smartarse... ;)

Mitch

14. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

am i alone in the thought that sparring and fighting are completely seperate as in you can spar without hitting and hurting where speed and accuracy is the goal and fighting is about whos standing at the end??

15. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Absolutely. Sparring has a ruleset, you work to that ruleset in order to score points. Fighting has no rules, you do whatever you can to get out of the situation unhurt. Although I do think they are connected, as sparring helps increase reaction speed, technique speed, etc.

16. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

I have 8 videos but as they where taken with my digital camera there only 35 seconds long. I have a few of the team events at the end including Tony Curtis fighting. Just give me you msn and ill send them through that. That DVD the TAGB are doing should be out this month as thats what they said at the championships.

17. sweetiegob

sweetiegob zzz...

best things come in threes, and maybe fours

With hindsight the great things about the world champs were:

1. the respect that most (if not all) of the competitors gave to each other
    2. the support from the spectators
    3. the great atmosphere
    ..and the chance to see some really good fights

:)