TKDI World Champs.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Taliar, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Just wanted to "big up" Emma Wakely from our club, who has just returned from the TKDI world championships in Cardiff.

Two 4th Places in Traditional and Musical Patterns and she got to the last 8 in sparring. :D :D :D :D :D

An excellent result I think!

Already looking forward to 2007 in Canada.

How did others we know get on.

2. Falcore

Falcore almost acceptable

musical patterns? whut?

3. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

well done! i cant wait to find out how they all got on in training tonight!!! did you meet anyone from map? you already know the next one is in canada?!
    cool!

4. Stewart

Stewart Valued Member

Scottish Results

14 fighters from Scotland went down to Cardiff and brought back 7 trophies

1st Place - Lightweight Mens Sparring
    2nd Place - Lightweight Womens Sparring
    2nd Place - Girls Pee Wee Sparring
    3rd Place - Boys Middleweight Sparring
    3rd Place - Womens Team Sparring (3 trophies)

The third for sparring was won by a student from my club :)

How did you find out that the next Worlds are in Canada?

5. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

The tournament was huge and the level of competition quite good. My school sadly didn't manage to get any medals, our best fighter was 5th and our 18 years old competitor finished 11th out of 115 competitors in senior traditional patterns, being the youngest in the final round. The atmosphere was very good and the party afterwards was also something to be remembered. Two things I didn't like was the rather poor standard in musical patterns and the overall level of judging, which leaved a LOT to be desired.

Regards

Gizmo

6. jedi_eowyn

jedi_eowyn Valued Member

does any one no how northern ireland did because i know loads of people who were in it and my instucter coaces the n.i squad cant wait till tomorrow to find out how they did

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

:confused:

8. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

LOL.
    Pee-wee is the youngest sparring category, below standard junior. :D

9. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

What are musical patterns?? :confused:

10. Another Muay Thai Guy

They're patterns performed to music, usually made up by the performer.

11. rtkd-badger

Ok, now I have heard everything.
    What exactly is the purpose of these musical patterns???

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

dancing basically. who knows.

13. Goat

Goat Valued Member

Hey Badger.. Musical forms (sometimes referred to as the "martial arts ballet" ) is synchronized taekwondo performed to music. It has become popular in many tournaments and adds a flare to the form by providing a musical background. Importance in judging is that the movements be in time with the music being played. It is categorized as an open and non-traditional division.

14. Another Muay Thai Guy

LOL, I don't know, I've never really seen them done, I just know what they are.

EDIT: ^^^^What he said. :D

15. rtkd-badger

:bang: :bang: :bang:
    That feels better.
    Ok im going to go and shoot myself now

16. Goat

Goat Valued Member

LOL! yea.. kind of silly but promoters like it because the spectators do.. and also it doesn't take anything away from Ms. Wakely's accomplishment. I too think it's an excellent result for a world championship Congrats Emma.

17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

oh gee... no way i'm gonna do any forms with a musical background... NO WAY!!!

i'd accept if they were tribal drum beats like muay thai.

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

its for people who want to do gymnastics but dont have the balls to go and join a gymnastics team.

imo.

19. tnt

tnt New Member

Although I don't remember the name, it was actually in Flyweights that the Scottish lad got the 1st place, after beating Joseph Schembri in the semis. Good fight that one!

Shaun O'Toole got 1st place in the Lightweight division. He even broke his hand in the process! He's from Rugby and trains under Pat Carter.

Tom Wilkins got 2nd place in the men's middleweight div; also from Rugby.

Andrea Hall, got 1st in the women's executive heavyweight div from Lutterworth (Pat Carter's school).

Shaun Pither, also got 1st in the boys' heavy or light-heavy (can't remember!) from High Wycombe which until a couple of weeks ago it was Pat Carter's school.

All in all it was a very succesfull weekend!! Well done to everyone who took part.

It's a shame I'm only a black tag and couldn't be in it. Oh well... next time! At least I can be proud to be training with World Champs... and not feel too bad when they kick my @ss!! :rolleyes:

20. rtkd-badger

Oh for sure, an excellent result, well done Emma.
    That TKD dance thing just rattled me a bit.