TKD video thread

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Hapuka, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Thanks for posting that rags :)
    Keep up the good work. Post more videos. :rolleyes:

Darn it now i have to start posting up videos of myself. :D

2. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I thought the music to your other video was better. Personally.

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Heres a clip I found;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChOeCGQyb9g&mode=related&search=]ITF TKD China [/ame]

4. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

technical tkd is awesome any mug can spar but proper techniquue like this dude takes true dediction

5. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

I don't agree with that at all. To be a great sparrer takes a lot of dedication to training, sparring, fitness training and entering loads of competitions on a regular basis. Whereas anyone with exceptional flexibility can do what he did (not slating him, just saying) we have a 9 year old girl at our club who who used to do gymnastics and is very flexible and agile and she can do pretty much everything that guy did. Ok not so much the jumping stuff but she can do all the holding her side kicks near vertical and stuff like that, not as good as this guy obversely, but hey she is only 9! However she isn't actually that good a sparrer, she doesn't like getting hit and is afraid to get stuck in. No disrespect to her she's a great girl, one of my favorite students!

6. 1:46
    :eek:

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

You think thats weird look at this guy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sodOOSkgypQ&mode=related&search=]Polish ITF[/ame]

8. Hi Guys,

Would be grateful if you could look at these 2 patterns and give me some feedback.
    Be as harsh as you want - only way to learn.

Won Hyo: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxc_bwFwgjM"]YouTube[/ame]
    Yul Gok: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqgx-C6A0s8"]YouTube[/ame]

I hope this works - first time uploaded to YouTube.
    It would be particularly useful to have some comments from people in the TAGB.

Cheers,
    VFB.

9. You're doubtless going to get [Almost certainly from a TAGB member] somebody telling you any given stance is slightly off because they're stupid and care for stupid things.

Okay. When you knife hand block. Your pulling your hands back and then kinda flicking your wrists down as you block.
    Keep arms, wrists and hands straight.

Turn your body more for the sidekick. You're kick looks like a Universal kick. A half turning-half side kick, kick.

The combo in Won-Hyo. You're supposed to be grabbing with the reaction hand when you knifehand strike. So make sure you are.

The hooking block isn't hooking. You're just waving your palm parallel to the floor.

-

The movements are good and accurate, but they don't have much venom in them. No body behind it, no stamp, no drive in the hits.
    You've got a good understanding of TKD and the moves, you just need to think about it a bit more.

-

In other news. I'm gonna do some pattern vids this weekend. Just because the only one I've ever posted was my Hwa-Rang. And should so some more.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  10. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Here are some clips of the end of my last testing that a friend of mine just put up on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JHBJucH_XPs
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=NdVLglsjXi8&mode=related&search=

This was a couple hours into the test; I'm sloppy and I went too fast. I'm not happy with my performance, and I'm surprised looking at them that my instructor passed me. I don't know that I would have.

One note on my reverse-turning kicks: I was trying to make a point with them. Most of the people I've seen do them slowly or half-speed, so that they don't get thrown off balance. I decided to give them a bit of a whip, and let the chips fall where they may. They did not always fall in my favor, as the video shows :eek:

11. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Hey Vimto,
    I was in a similar position to you, moving from the club you were at into the Midlands area as you know, so this may give you some ideas. It's all the grief I went through too! Only I was a 1st Dan at the time, so I lost count of the number of times I heard Mr Towndrow say, "Now, you see Mitch, that was terrible!" In a nice way of course :) This is not a reflection on your previoous club which I hold in great regard, but is just a difference in emphasis of the different areas.

So, in the spirit of helpful advice, and to avoid you getting the terrible comments ;) , here are some suggestions :)

Specifics
    Make sure your punches chamber from the hips. Look at your side punches in Won Hyo, they're coming from your armpit. They're heading that way in the opening moves of Yul Gok too, both in sitting stance and after the front kick.

Rags point on your side kick is spot on. To fix it you need to ensure you rotate your supporting foot as you're delivering the kick so your toes are pointing nearly 180degrees away from your kick. This will roll your hips over and give you more power and better body position.

Rags is also right on your hooking block, it's quite horizontal at the moment, not coming down onto the attack enough.

General
    Most of your guards come from behind you, meaning they're travelling in almost a straight line to their finishing position. You need to chamber them 90 degrees to your body so they travel in a circular movement to their finishing point, visualise it as actually knocking something out of the way. This will help with the main point below.

Ditto double forearm block at the end of Yul Gok.

The Main Point.
    Hip twist hip twist hipity hipity hip twist. Oh yes. Twist your hips. :)

Mr Towndrow majors on this more than anyone else I've trained with in TAGB (and I happen to agree with him for what my opinion's worth). Folks like you and I need to do some serious work to alter our style as a result.

Examples you can think of:
    Opening combination of Won Hyo. Three techniques, so three movements of your hips. Mr Minott once said he could watch an entire class without their belts on and know their grade by getting them to do Won Hyo and looking at their hip movement in the opening combination. Not to put to fine a point on it, wait till your back's to the camera in your vid and check out your motionless butt :D

Circular blocks. Two blocks, two hip movements. See your butt? :D

This will also come into your kicks if you rotate the supporting foot (and you'll get more power and range) and into your guarding and double blocks if you chamber to the side not behind.

Opening of Yul Gok. Hip twist in the punches. Etc etc.

Conclusion
    I thought your patterns looked good, sharp and as Rags said you've got a good understanding. The hip twist will add the power behind those movements.

Feel free to absolutley disregard all of the above and of course your Instructor is the final arbiter in all of these things in any case. And senior to me :) . And very good indeed :D

Points of detail like the grab in the Won Hyo combo Rags mentions may or may not be applicable, check with your Instructor as to how he likes that move performed.

Nice patterns and kudos to you for putting them out there for everyone to look at, that takes courage.

Mitch

Apologies in advance for mentioning your butt more often than is seemly in one post :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  13. Mitch

There is some flashy stuff on that vid, isn't there :)

Are you training at the moment? What style? What are the nature of your disabilities?

In all honesty my only experience of teaching students with disabilities (not the term I usually use but seems to be the one you use so I'll stick with it) is from when I was teaching IT in colleges many years ago, so I may not be able to help with regards to TKD, but maybe someone on here can?

Cheers,
    Mitch

14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I'm not TAGB (thats because I live in New Zealand not in England)
    But I'm under ITF.

First thing you want to cheek on is your stance. Thats the main thing I saw when watching your videos. Make sure you have the correct stance. Do each move in your pattern then stop and look at your stance (a mirror can help) Stance plays a big part on getting you back to your starting line. I noticed that you weren't landing back on the same spot from were you started from. Here's a photo reference guide you can use; Won Hyo
    Yul Gok

The second thing you want to look at is sine wave (If don't use sine wave then don't bother reading this part) Sine wave is a simple down, up, down motion. [​IMG]
    I also found this video of Gen. Choi teaching and talking about sine wave; [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2tZKtE-W8Q]Gen. Choi's wave in Taekwon-Do[/ame]

The third want to look at is technique. In Won Hyo as Rag's pointed out "Side kicks". You want to turn the hips more and pivot the back foot to the opposite direction to where you are kicking to. Heres a bit of light reading for you; Side kick (Yop Chagi)
    Taekwon-do.nl | Foot techniques This is one of the most effective techniques for attacking an opponent at the flank. The footsword is the attacking tool. The vital spots are the temple, armpit, floating ribs, neck artery, philtrum, point of the chin, and solar plexus.

The main principles of this kick are:

* The attacking tool must reach the target in a straight line with arevolving motion.
    * Regardless of the stance, the footsword must be brought to the innerknee joint of the stationary leg prior to delivering the kick.
    * Keep the toes of the kicking foot faced slightly downwards and the toes of the stationary foot pointed about 75 degrees outwards at the moment of impact.
    * For the maximum height, lean the body away from the kick as far as possible while still maintaining balance.
    * Unless advised otherwise by an instructor, execute a high punch using a right fist with a right foot and vice versa.
    * The stationary foot pivots allowing the hip to rotate with the kick.

You want more power in your technique. At the moment you look like you can't be bothered doing the patterns. As Gen. Choi said " Without pattern you cannot say Taekwon-do." So patterns are important and thats why you want to get them right. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ftapqIyOY&mode=related&search=]General Choi's Last Seminar[/ame] And of course watch the pro's;
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otrSQ57ON_o]Yul gok [/ame] and [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwe4edepTVk&mode=related&search=]Won hyo[/ame]

15. Mitch

Oh no he doesn't, not in TAGB :)

Mitch

16. Thanks guys. All points kindly taken on board (except the sine wave of course).

What I have to do now is put them into practice. This may be easier said than done
    when you are use to performing moves in a particular way over and over again to the point they become automatic.

I think I will focus on one point at a time e.g. point on universal kick/supporting foot position. Strip things back to basics and build them up again.

I even agree with your point Hapuka "you look like you can't be bothered". Although I can assure you I was bothered, when watching the patterns myself they lack power and as my classmate says, venom.

Again, thankyou. :)

17. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

TAGB doesn't use sine wave? :eek:
    Is TAGB like old style ITF TKD? :rolleyes:

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Hey problem man. Thats what this thread is for, sharing and learning. :)

19. Sinewave should be used by all Taekwon-Do practitioners.

Within reason.

General Choi making every move and motion imbued with sinewave is just ridiculous and unrealistic.
    He only placed it there because:

A) He spent less time actually practing and thinking and applying his Taekwon-Do than he did throwing together ridiculous applications and combinations and new patterns so that Taekwon-Do could say it had 24 patterns. [It used to be just 4.]

B) He wanted to seperate his "new" Art from Karate. For national or personal reasons.

-

Sinewave has it's place. It is not always possible to hip twist, and there are motions were sinewave is necessary to get the required effect or power.
    However, these motions are not your standard blocks and guard.

Ironically, probably the best use of sinewave is in boxing. Watch how a boxer will duck or slip a punch, then roll his body using his momentum to counter.

Thats the definition of sinewave isn't it? A circular motion to generate power. It's certainly not sinewave in the Taekwon-Do sense. Like General Choi says: Sinewave is "a natural motion" and a good boxer will pick it up naturally.
    Trying to force it into your every movement is pointless.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  20. Mitch

What most ITF practicioners do and what Choi intended are two different things IMO. Knee spring yes, sine wave in the modern sense no. But we've been here before many times on the sinewave thread.

MItch