TKD to Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by jasondugo, Sep 11, 2011.

1. jasondugo

jasondugo New Member

I have trained in TKD for 3 years now and always liked Kickboxing to watch, so I decided I want to give it ago, any advice on the change of style?

2. draconacticus

draconacticus Valued Member

I moved to kickboxing from TKD and found it pretty straightforward. Stances might be slightly different depending if the club you go to draws from a traditional style.

You'll probably find in comparison to the people there your kicks are much better than most, but your boxing won't come close to their level. But I think it's easier to learn boxing than leg work. That was my experience anyway. You'll have new things to learn like clinch work as well.

If you're ITF you'll find it a fairly easy move. WTF, you'll need to learn to punch :p

Other differences you might notice is the intensity in the training, but this depends a lot on what your current TKD club is like.

3. AmericanFighter

AmericanFighter Valued Member

i would say the versatility of his kicks would be much better however In Kick Boxing some people train in the teep and roundhouse and by doing one over and over again their teep or round house may be better than theirs.

I when switching form TKD to kickboxing would say you will have many more kicks in your arsenal however the kickboxers may be able to throw a round house or leg kick better than you.

4. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

If you trained hard in TKD, your kicks may well outclass their kicks.

As an above poster said, your boxing skills will most likely be laughable in comparison to their boxing techniques. But that's why you should learn!

As for transitioning, that won't be too hard. I did it. Just show up for classes and they'll teach you.

It's that simple :D

5. liero

liero Valued Member

Just have fun!

Empty your cup, they will do things you know the "correct" way to do differently. Try it and see if you can understand why the differences exist.