TKD Student up for big scholarship

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by wmks shogun, May 24, 2008.

1. wmks shogun

wmks shogun Valued Member

Let me preface this by saying I hope I am posting this in the right area and that this is okay. If not, Moderators, I will hold no grudge if it is moved or removed.

The senior student in my dojang, Steve Eccleston, is in the running for a very large scholarship to my old college WV Wesleyan College. Out of thousands of applicants, he is now in the top 12. For better or worse, 1/3 of the final judgment comes down to an online vote. Thus, I am (shamelessly) asking for fellow martial artists to support my student by voting for him at: http://www.wvscholar.com/vote.cfm
    Steve has been training with me for about four years, and he is a great guy who has endured a lot, but you would never know it if you met him. His parents divorced when he was younger, and this past fall, his mother passed away unexpectedly. Instead of being woebegone, Steve has applied himself harder in school, is active in show choir, is a member of the student counsel, and is preparing for his 1st Dan Test. He wants to be a cardiovascular surgeon and with the right opportunity, I think he could. Please go to the site and vote for Steve Eccleston. It will send an email to you to confirm your vote which is required for it to count. Also, please pass it on. This is Steve's best shot for going to a good college. The deadline for votes is 5/30/08

My most sincere thanks,

2. TKDjoe

TKDjoe Valued Member

I voted , he was in third place.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think it's disgusting that an online vote can decide anything short of a cheesy talent show. This would be so easy to rig. I voted, as did my pet hippo under his account.

4. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

I voted! As did my cats.. :rolleyes: with all my other accounts... :D

5. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I voted too, but I have to agree with MD that it's not a very nice thing to have an online vote like a tacky talent show.

6. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Yes, it does kinda make it into a popularity contest... and how may friends do you have? :bang:

7. Moi

Is that really the American Way? It's the impression we are given by Hollywood, it appears to be true.

8. wmks shogun

wmks shogun Valued Member

First off, let me offer my thanks on my, and Steve's behalf. I too agree that it is stupid (the online voting, not the scholarship itself). However, the online voting is averaged in with the candidates' scores in other areas. Please keep up the voting, whether it is you, your cats, your hippos, or what-have-you.

9. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Not every scholarship is decided that way, but yes.. more and more that does seem to be the way of it. Stupid, but there it is.

10. Moi

If you really wanted to you could proberly create a few thousand email accounts in a day.

Of course if you were to be found out his chances would be zero. Might be a good way to knobble the opposition.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  11. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

2 votes from me and a nod of agreement that this is absurd.

12. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

1 vote from me. Good luck to the applicant.

M.D.: My son's invite for the Junior National Youth Leadership Conference (Cait should know what I'm on about), the determination of who gets a scholarship is based on how well the "child" does at fund raising and sponsorship! It all boils down to who you know and how well connected you are. Not really fair to the "less fortunate" I fear...

13. Moi

At least he has the option of working for the scholarship, plague the nieghbours etc: You should set up a Paypal account for sponsorship money so you can go international. I agree that it only takes a kid with parents who are prepared to spend a little money now to save some later on. Come to think of it I'd be cheating myself, never was a good example of humanity though.

14. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I've just voted, best of luck

15. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Once we know a bit more of how the fundraising works I will investigate the PayPal idea Dad! Thanks. Right now, the Mrs. and I are just looking to have some big companies write letters of sponsorship for the little Narc. Both my wife and I have contacted our Human Resource Departments for instructions. So far, it looks like we will have:
    Chicos, Inc
    LabCorp America
    and Sysco Foods

sponsoring him. A few more "big" names are looking to jump on board but we haven't heard back. Since his school is in the middle of the inner city, I don't know how other kids would manage trying to arrange a scholarsip. Online ballots might be a big plus for them....

16. Moi

Which is why we want them stopped! Go little narc :cool: