TKD Stance & Hand Strikes

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by franksv, Jan 31, 2007.

1. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Just curious.

Do you preffer to use a front,back or fighting stance at the moment of impact on your hand techniques?

I find front to hold the most power,while back or fighting stance is quicker but sacrifices power.

I know most of the forms mix these up,but do you train both?Or do you focus your fighting drills on one or the other?

2. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

prefer front stance for power, other back/fighting for speed.

3. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Yes,but how do you spend your practice time?And do you see it come out in your sparring/fighting?

4. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

i spend my practice time training all. this comes out in sparring by allowing me to change from my fighting stance to a power stance & back quickly, without openning myself up too much. the more you get your body familiar & comfortable with, the better able it is to adapt to what you need when, so i work with 'em all.

5. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I see,thanks for the input.

Sometimes I am tempted to cut corners.Or I get into the mentality of less is better/1 tech 1000 times vs 1000 tech 1 time.

Frank

6. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

remember that repetition is what builds muscle memory, so you don't just add them all at once. start with a few, work them until comfortable, then build on it. 1000 tech dont help if you can't remember them. and working to integrate what you know together is a step further

7. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Thanks for the insight.

I think I try and adapt too much based on the last person I sparred.If I just sparred a fast wirey guy I tend to try and improve my speed.If I have just fought a big strong guy,I start thinking I need to work on power.

But the big picture here is I think being able to adapt,which mean training both as you said fighting stance with the ablity to strike a power stance and return.

8. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

its never bad to adapt based on your opponent, but you're right - you should focus more on general adaptability - speed, angles, being able to change up what you do.

9. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Yes,but what about time management?LOL.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Watch a shotokan or similar style sparring bout. Those guys are superb at slamming from a back stance to a front stance reverse punch full power, then back again. Goes with their one hit philosophy. If you watch their hips/shoulders move it's like a door slamming, BANG! and the punch is delivered and they're back to guard.

Stances, like chambers, are not positions you stop in, they're moments you move through. I don't think practicing techniques in a stance is that important, I think the transition between stances for different purposes is the key, which is pretty much what lamaTKDcait said originally I think.

Hope that makes sense

Mitch

11. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I believe I just think about this stuff way too much.I try and cover every angle in my training,but if you take 4-5 strikes,blocks and kicks.Multiply them by stances,drills,combos and footwork,thats a lot of material work daily.

Its used to be so much simplier LOL.

12. franksv

franksv Valued Member

lama TKD cait

Just curious does the lama imply that you also practice lama kung fu?

13. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

nope. read the sig.

14. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Personaly i like to train to strike from all posible stances as to limit the possibility of limiting reaction time

15. Kaizen-th3

Kaizen-th3 Valued Member

hmm i must be a black sheep

i like tiger/cat stance for speed and mobility and horse stance for its lower center of gravity, so more power and balance/stability

16. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

hadn't even thought of them, as they weren't part of the original question. i use tiger stance all the time, love how it can really mess with my opponent's proximity - but the horse stance is difficult to use in sparring
    so i guess it depends on what i'm doing.

17. AITKDMan

AITKDMan New Member

Practice everything. You want to be in the stance you are most comfortable in and that will allow you to move fast most of the time, but if you never practice switching between stances and using stances you may not be comfortable in you will not really be able to use them effectively when sparring.

Hit the nail right on the head there. I've seen a lot of decent fighters just not be able to adapt when they get in the ring with someone who is good against their particular fighting style. You don't want to concentrate on how to fight against a particular style, but rather, how to switch your style around, midfight if necessary, so you can do well against any style.