TKD Schools in East Kilbride area.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by stuckTKD, Jan 22, 2012.

1. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know of a good TKD school in the East Kilbride/Glasgow area, I am a 1st degree BB looking for a good friendly school there.

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Think theres an AIMAA one in blantyre sports centre but i couldnt in all good conscience recommend them! It is, however, the only one I know close by lol.

3. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Thanks Master Betty,
    It's an ITF school I am looking for, I have heard of the one you mentioned, I will go and have a look.

4. Master Betty

It's ran by John Kirkwood. Here's the website http://www.aimaascotland.com/

On a personal note, I've seen a fair few attitudes at this club overall though the actual blantyre does seem to be their best with the better attitudes as well.

5. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Thanks again,
    That's why I am looking for a new school, attitudes and egos in my current one stinks!
    Cheers.

6. Master Betty

I personally just found them fairly jealous of other clubs and in particular, other arts

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Madhoose teaches up that way I think StuckTKD, you could drop him a PM.

MItch

8. Master Betty

Not sure mitch but I think his is carluke.

9. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Thanks Guys,
    The AIMAA look like no sine wave so it would be back to square one, I want to find a school who will honour my 1st degree and allow me to go for my 2nd pretty soon as I am ready for it (got my 1st in 2007), I feel like giving up altogether to be honest. Do I move to Karate or some other martial art.

10. Master Betty

Yeah AIMAA are not a group I'd recommend. Sorry I can't be more helpful but even if Madhoose is carluke, he'll at least know other clubs in the area. Madhoose belongs to Scotia TKD who at least seem to place a bit more emphasis on sparring and effectiveness than many other TKD places I've seen.

If you ever feel like trying thai boxing or that gimme a shout, thats my area of expertise.

11. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Hi Master Betty,
    Many thanks for that, I would love to start thai boxing but I feel I may be a bit old at 41! I am pretty fit though and I am at the gym every morning for an hour, then training in the evenings at TKD and kickboxing. Is there any advantage with being TKD and kickboxing trained or would it be a downfall due to habits etc. Thanks again.

12. Master Betty

Hey man, never too old man really! There's a few bad habits from TKD, I know that from personal experience but the kickboxing side of things will transfer. By and large, the things you already know will heavily outweigh the bad habits generally.

but if TKD is your preference then like I said, I'd suggest getting in touch with Madhoose first!

13. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Thanks again,
    Right, lets try thai boxing then, where is a good place? The TKD scene is good but causing me too much stress!!! I want a place where I can hit pads, get fit and enjoy it. Also some kind of grading structure would be good. I need to try something or I'll go mad.

14. Master Betty

Well there are plenty of good gyms around. You could try my old place, sit ayuthaya, in hamilton. The head coach is a bit of a **** but the other coaches and the people are all cool. The facilities are great and whilst its not the best actual technical instruction in thai boxing, it'll definitely get you fit.

15. Master Betty

Depending on how far youre willing to travel, my current place, the griphouse, is on possil road in glasgow and they have the best thai, best mma and best bjj clubs in scotland training there. The head coach, guy, is cool and in his early 40s too - and I find him by far the hardest spar there. Man has laid me down on 2 separate occasions with knees lol. They also have plenty of guys ib their mid 40s to 50s training there as well as the youngsters but it is father to travel.

16. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Of course they are LOL
    We all are!
    Especially of MT [​IMG]

LOL
    :love::zzz:

17. StuartA

Seriously.. I think theres quite a few UKTA schools in Glasgow, as thats GM Rhee's home town.

I know quite a few Scottish TKD instructors (ITF, GTF, others etc.), though not sure where they teach, I can put a Facebook shout out for schools if ya want!

Are you leaving a club or want to leave a particular group due to the ego thang? I ask, as no use telling about any clubs of the same lineage really!

Stuart

Ps. Sorry to hear you schools like that!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  18. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Thanks StuartA,
    My school used to be fantastic but now it has changed immensly over the past 2 years and its a bloody shame. it's just the club to be honest, ITF would be good, great if you could help, it is much appreciated.

Thanks Master Betty,
    The Griphouse has been one a lot of people have mentioned, it's not too far to travel if it's something you enjoy, I have many choices, thanks guys you really are helping me here, I always thought my club was the best around but I suppose there is always better.

19. artytkd

artytkd New Member

20. StuartA

Hows this for weird.. I was following a link from a friend of mine, about a web site he just built for someone that I saw perform what, 15 years ago or so (whenever it was), at the first ever BTC Championships.. where the guy got a standing ovation for his Moon-Moo performance (it was awesome from what I recall) and guess the address of his school:

Master Hutton Black Belt Academy
    12 Albion Way
    Kelvin Ind.Estate
    East Kilbride, G75 0YN
    mhutton@tkdtigers.com
    www.masterhutton.com

That said, I do not know his quality as an instructor, or his personal quality these days. Nor have I ever met him personally, so cannot attest to that side of things either - TBH, it could be a different guy altogethor lol (though I dont think it is) - I just found it a very odd co-incidence!

Stuart

Ps. Master Betty.. is/has the Griphouse got a large set of Polish students training there or is the main man Polish? I ask, as theres a Polish (I think - correct if wrong) video on their web site.. which wierdly enough, has the same ringtone/song as my phone lol

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012