tkd prices

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by cbraves85, Aug 11, 2003.

1. cbraves85

cbraves85 Valued Member

I have been in ma for a while and have experience in tkd, kung fu, san shou, and boxing. I thought of possibly cross training between kf and tkd so i called a school and for 2 classes a week the instructor wanted $132 a month. Now isnt that obsurd?

2. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Yup, I get around 4 classes a week with a Master plus discounts on other classes for £40/$65

4. Justin

Justin ITF-Taekwondo

5. BlackBeltCookie

BlackBeltCookie New Member

OMG!!! $132/month?? If I charged that I would :-
    A) Extremely Rich
    B) Extremely Amazed I could find students that would pay so much
    C) The biggest rip-off merchant in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go find yourself a REAL TKD club and not a 'McDojo'!!!

6. Jazman

Jazman New Member

I pay 50$ a month, which is average, but for the quality of our instruction it is awesome, I would pay much more. We get 3 classes a week plus an extra hour each class if we want. (Starting this year he may rent a real school and much better equipment, yippee!! :D)

7. Artikon

Okay here are some things to consider. What is the economy of the immediate area, of the state/province, of the country? How many schools are around? How well equiped is the school. Does the head instructor actually instruct classes? Is the curriculm dynamic, meaning it's always in development as the head instructor trains himself and visits seminars?

I'm not advocating high prices, and I personally think that is WAY to high but there are tons of things to consider what you may be getting out of the deal. Maybe he doesn't have to pay for testings.

8. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

When i was teaching i was charging 45$ a month. My instructors school charges 50 - 55 a month i think.

9. Artikon

That seems about ballpark and possibly a little lower than average from the prices I've seen in the US and Can

10. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

yeah most that i have seen are about $70 - $80 and higher a month with 4 classes a week at the most

11. Taeho

Taeho New Member

My school charges $65.00 per month. We have a class we are able to attend 6 times a week. I have myself and my 2 sons enrolled. When my daughter is 4 I can enroll her for free.

Also testing is $50.00 for all gups leading to 1st dan. All dan testing fees are $100.00. The prices include certificate, belt and ID card.

TKDshane Ÿ

12. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

At HWU we pay £30 for the year and 70p (£0.70) for each two hour class a week. Cheers Tosh.
    :D :D :D

13. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Plus £10 registration for the year, so really £40

BTW You paid subs this year?? ;)

Don't forget that this money all get's pumped back into the club for training equipment, transport and affiliation too.

Hopefully, the Sports Union will be pay me and Tintin for our services this year. It's a hard knock life afterall ;)

14. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Yes thats high. I live on Lond Island, not far from NYC,USA where cbraves lives. Although now i pay nothing, regular students pay $99 for up to six classes a week and one half hour private lesson a month. With discounts for family members.

15. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-I know of many schools in some of the high income areas of Florida that charge $200/mo. and their students feel they are getting more than their money's worth. Many of the higher quality professional schools in the USA are now charging between $100- 150/mo. IMO, if you are JUST teaching is fighting skills and giving people a workout, then the $40/ mo. range is appropiate. If you have an effective and systemized way of teaching life skills(as well as top level physical skills) and you are in a area that can financially support it, then you are justified in these prices (have you priced a Learning Center like Sylvan who teaches similar skills). The demographics of the community that my school is not one that would support this, so I don't charge this level, but I am taking my prices up (we are currently between $89-99/mo.). Part of this is percieved value by the students (or parents if the student is a child); they take it more seriously. Also, the people who can afford this are usually more goal oriented and understand commitment and discipline much better. For those who are committed, yet can't afford it, we offer partial to full scholarships according to their need.-BTW-It always amazes me how some will assume that a school is a "McDojo" because they charge more than their school does. Do Harvard, Oxford, or Stanford provide a lesser education than the local community college because their tuition is higher or they have more students? I know very little about vacuum cleaners, but when I need a new one, I go and get the most expensive one because of the perception that it is the best available, (I know this is not always true, but this is what I meant by percieved value by the public). As we all know, there are some programs and instructors that are better at business than MA, but being good at business does not lower the value of instruction.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2003
  16. Holgate

Holgate New Member

at the current time I pay £27.00 a month, which means I can train anywhere in the south west region TAGB and can join other classes outside the area for a couple sessions. I think licenses are £10 per year and gradings £22.50 a time.

not really bad considering the cost of some associations

17. wuchang79

wuchang79 New Member

I am aware of a school in Rolando that charges there students 320 for two months of classes. Its an Oom Young Do school that teaches 8 martial arts as one. On top of that the classes are taught by 1st and 2nd degree students. The Master of the school comes through and teaches a few classes every few months.

I've seen many schools open w/ only the thought of financial gain. . these are the schools that have either taken the art out of martial art by teaching the sport aspects only. . .or promises the student mystical/magical powers and superhuman powers by training. . .sad isn't it?

18. oni

oni New Member

I teach ITF TKD out of a local rec center for $35 a month. I'm hoping to be able to build or rent my own place soon, but if I have to charge over $60 a month with the current number of students I will just hold off on my plans. This is what I love doing and I can't stand the fact that some have perverted it for commercial gains.

19. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

We charge 80,000 won in Korea (nn average), which is about $68 USD.

Lessons include 5 one hour lessons (and change) with weekend classes here and there at an additional 3 hours.

Shoosh,

Yang, Dae-han

20. labeledas

labeledas Valued Member

i pay 46 a month and can train anytime from 12-2 and 5-9 on weekdays the whole time if i want, granted i will be given drills and train alone most of the time with the occasionally pointers, plus i think i am getting a key to the dojo.

but then again my instructor is more concerned with teaching those who want to be taught rather than a big pay check.