TKD People I NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by cannonkicker, Nov 10, 2003.

1. cannonkicker

cannonkicker New Member

I need HELP!!! How do you survive a 1st Dan Black Belt Test?! I HAVE THE TEST ON NOVEMBER 18TH!!! I NEED ADVICE AND I NEED IT FAST!!! THEY ARE GONNA:woo: ME!!!

E-MAIL ME!: GREASYMAN99@YAHOO.COM

2. hwarang

hwarang Guest

if you're at a point where your instructor has allowed you to test for black belt then there shouldn't really be anything to worry about

there's not really any suprises in the test, it's everything you've done before (even though you may not by memory remember them), but at a more intense level

i would drink a lot of fluids before the test (not so much that you need to go to the toilet during the test), also eat foods that will give you energy to last the test

when i went for mine, i had to do everything the instructor told me to, and there was no rest break between things, so make sure you suck in that oxygen...

good luck

3. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL! Just whip it out during the test, you are freaking out, is that any way for a black belt to behave? ;)

JUst messing :D

The only recommendation I have is to bring along a big bottle of champagne to celebrate afterwards :D

|Cain|

4. Cain

Cain New Member

Oh and good luck, train hard and have fun :D

|Cain|

5. cannonkicker

cannonkicker New Member

ok. thanks. Did any of you have to break a board w/ every technique?

6. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Depend on your definition of *every technique*. :D

During the three days I had 8 techs to I re-breakable (uk) board. One side kicks to 2 boards and a stamp to a london house brick.

I did side,turning,reverse turning and knife hand on both sides for mine.

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

It should be a challenging test. My advice is to:
    (1) ensure you can do ALL of your forms in order and NOT in order. Make sure you feel comfortable with each and every one.

(2) Make sure you practice your 1,2, and 3 step sparring techniques and pick a good selection to prepare for the test.

(3) Run through the more advanced self defence techniques that you will probably be asked to demonstrate (if this is tested at your school)... preferably by getting a buddy to grab you in every way you can think of.

(4) For board breaking, I recommend visualizing and practicing the movement for each of the breaks. At our school, we have a 3 staion break for 1st dan, one of which must be a spinning heel kick. The other two are by choice (hopefully challenging).

(5) Make sure you show enthusiasm, loud kihaps, good power throughout the entire test.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Our 1st dan BB breaking requirements are (3) 1 inch pine boards...
    with your choice of 2 hand & 2 foot techniques
    (for example...)
    ELBOW
    PALM HEEL
    HAMMERFIST
    SIDE KICK
    FRONT KICK
    ROUNDHOUSE
    SPIN BACK KICK

I suggest you hit the bag this week to get ready for those breaks!

9. cannonkicker

cannonkicker New Member

thanks. ow many push-ups should i expect?

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Doesn't your school supply you with the necessary requirements for testing?

You should have asked your instructor these questions a LONG time ago in advance of your black belt training!

We are not required to do push ups as part of our black belt test... but your school may require you to do so.

11. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Eat well a week before the test, drink red bulls, and eat power bar for snacks before the test would be a good idea too. Confidence! You gotta be confidence in your ability when you test, dont hestitate. If you mess up big deal, but make an effort to be wrong and continue. Dont go "Oh ****" thats just too obvious. Just be yourself, do the best you ever can, and good luck.

12. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

:D Why not stick to natures fruits to provide the energy, much better than all that tuarine/caffience and sugar!!!

Raisans, Bananas, no added sugar fruit juice or water??

It's like putting wood on the fire rather than a firework. Sure you get a big bang and it looks pretty but it only lasts a few seconds.

*Note keep your filthy minds to yourselfs ;)

13. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

You sound like you aren't ready for whatever they throw at you!
    Be confident. Most students would never be granted a dan test without showing they were ready.

Relax...relax and relax...

Whatever physical tests you are given...you will pass with flying colors if you just stay RELAXED...ha ha

Mental fatigue is far greater than physical fatigue...

Remember, this is more than a test of your physical abilities!

Blessings in all things,

Aaron

14. hwarang

hwarang Guest

even if you're not confident, make sure your body shows confidence in its movement and the techniques that you do - by now, techniques should be automatic to your body without you having to remember how to perform them

in my test, i had to do:
    all the basic techniques that the instructor asked for
    all the advanced techniques he asked for
    combination techniques
    my pattern
    step sparring
    a selection of step sparring from any other grade other than black
    self defense (stationary and free sparring)
    free sparring (tournament rules)
    board breaking - 4 techniques with 2 2inch boards
    free sparing against 2 and 3 attackers

follow everybodies suggestions about keeping your energy and fluids up

you'll feel stuffed during the test, but great after it has finished

15. nunchaku8587

nunchaku8587 Valued Member

haha, relax homes relax, you'll do great if you're allowed to take the test. just dont get nervious, try to relax, and do what ya gotta do and do it 100000x better then what they expect cause you got it in you buddy, so dont worry

16. nunchaku8587

nunchaku8587 Valued Member

.....and the 100000x better thing, i'm just ****in around with you, you just gotta try as hard as you possibly can, give it your all