TKD Check In

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Chazz, Apr 12, 2002.

1. cboutin

cboutin New Member

cboutin
    I live in vermont and we are with UMAC

2. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Just though I'd stop in and say hi, since it's been a while!

3. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

TKD practitioner with 14 years of experience. Part of the North West Taekwondo association in the USA. Our schools also teach Judo and Hapkido. I have also trained in Aikido and with various miltiary personel in self defense.

4. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

What is the difference from aikido & hapkido?

5. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

In my experience Hapkido is more direct and less circular. Both arts share a similar parent art of Aiki Jujitsu; however, Aikido has developed into more of a counter attacking/throwing art containing a wide range of joint manipulation both standing and on the ground with an emphasis on Zen Meditation and circular movement. The Zen Meditation is in no way a bad thing as this is used to acheive a state of no-mind in combat (similar to an athlete being in the "zone")
    Hapkido utilizes TKD Style striking and a greater emphasis on hand techniques than TKD. Hapkido also includes Throws/Takedowns, Joint Locks, basic Presure Point Manipulation and a very basic ground control with an emphasis on returning to ones feet. Many police and Military units uses similar concepts and techniques in their Close Quarters Combat training.
    Both Arts have a distinct place in a well rounded Martial Artists array of techniques. If i possible one day I would like to train in the parent art of Aiki Jujitsu to see what has been changed or removed. As I understand it is much more challenging and utilizes smaller circular concepts to accelerate and redirect force than the subsiquent arts which results in more effective and damaging techniques. Black Belt magazine has a good informative article on Aiki Jujitsu it I can find it I will pass it along.

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Seventh here. Training in TKD for 4.5 years now at the Progressive Unified Martial Arts club(P.U.M.A). Enjoying it very much!

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Whereabouts Seventh?

Mitch

8. Seventh

Canada, Manitoba. Cold. Really cold.

http://www.digikwan.com/umtkd.html

The picture is of the kids class. I'm in the junior/adult class, where we focus on conditioning, technique(like jabs, hooks, roundhouses and so on) sparring and self defence. I love it there. It's practical and it's an overall great place to be. Sorry if i come off as advertising but Tae kwon do is one of the things that keep me sane :)

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Being proud of and enthusiastic for what you do is not the same as advertising :) Plus, I asked :D

Mitch

10. mp1212

mp1212 New Member

Hi

My name is Markku Parviainen and I have been training Taekwondo around 30 years, I actually started with Karate but after 4 years training I burn myself! ( Too much training ) I did compete international level about 10 years, coached some elite level fighters. I currently live in Sweden, Huskvarna.

Now I will be more at home so I can write more!:)

Here is some pictures from past! You can see my skinny self 1985 before world championships in Korea ( at the bottom of the page ) Click here!

Yours, Markku

11. etips

etips New Member

Call me Etips I've been boxing and studied Tae Kwon Do for the last 7 years now

12. Seventh

Welcome both!!
    Hope you have an absolutely splendid time here!!

13. Taizu

Taizu Valued Member

Hello all. TKD association is AIMAA (bonus points to those who have heard of it), currently living in Ireland. Doing TKD for about 10 years.

14. KimKap

KimKap New Member

Hello everyone, does anyone know of any good ITF or WTF dojangs in the North Houston or Spring, Tx area?

15. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Valued Member

Hey all,

just checking in.

My name in Kevin (31), started TKD couple of weeks ago in Portsmouth, UK with my son Dylan (6). So far so good, although I'm a bit worried my son will show me up a few months down the line! :)

Cheers

Kev

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  16. xKITAx

xKITAx New Member

Hello everyone, I'm a green belt in WTF TKD from Washington, DC. ^_^

17. Swathe-Au

Swathe-Au New Member

Add me to the list :D

ITF/Australia

18. naodwalk

naodwalk Valued Member

Hello,

I'm a 2nd Dan, been training for pretty close to 12 years. Trained both in self defense and for sport and practice palgwe forms.

Devin

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  19. Elfo

Elfo Valued Member

Yo, I'm a second Dan, training for about 8 years but not consistantly.
    I train in Nevada USA, WTF style, Names David

20. Waldgeist

Waldgeist Men who beg aren't heroes

So, suppose I should sign in and whatnot. I'm in Brisbane, Australia, I trained with Tae Kwon-do on and off (mostly on, but still, I took breaks here and there) for seven years, but it wasn't feeling quite right so I changed schools. Now I'm with Sun Bae, which is WTF affiliated school that also teaches Hapkido.