TKD Check In

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Chazz, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

*L* I was about to say the samy thing Deb. But that i was talking about is what style forms/katas/poomse do you do. ITF would be Chon-Ji, Do-San, Dan Gun....

2. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

Well, I live in Lawrence, KS. I am 32 (33 in 3 days). I have studied WTF MDK TKD, and now am studying ITF MDK TKD at www.nhtkd.com. My instructors are Masters Don and Susan Booth, who studied under Grandmaster Woo Jin Jung in Cedar Rapids, IA. We have a connection there whitematt! Mr. Booth is a student of his from back in the days when he first started his school here in the states. My ranks are in my sig at the bottom.

Pilsung!

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

...actually chazz I was helping out TkdWarrior with his memory....

Our forms are called the Chang-Hon (Blue Cottage) hyungs. The Chang-Hon (better known as the Chon-ji) forms are considered the most traditional and the oldest.

When I first started at our school we were also required to learn the Palgwe set of forms ... fortunately they were dropped from our curriculum.

Early Happy Birthday~~~~ Ken!!! [​IMG]

4. Chazz

I started learing some of them too. I didnt like them all too much.

Happy Bday

5. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

Thanks folks!

6. John G

John G Valued Member

Hi everyone,

KickChick sent me over to take a look at the forums.

As for me, I live and work in a place called Wundowie, located 60Km east of Perth Western Australia.

In my spare time I enjoy learning ITF Taekwon-do at the Low Taekwon-do Academy under the watchful eye of Master Low, Ming Tuck (seventh dan).

I look forward to sharing ideas and suggestions with all martial artists regardless of what federation or martial art you may train in.

Respectfully,

7. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

What's up John G? Welcome!

8. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hey there john welcome to the forums.

Another TKD guy. seems to be quite a few on MAP

9. Chazz

Howdy John.
    Feel free to post your heart out. Welcome to the MAP

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hi John my friend, welcome!
    There is a great bunch of TKD practitioners here.
    I remember when I first joined here ... the numbers are growing everyday!!! :wink:

11. John G

John G Valued Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I’m sure ill enjoy the forums.

12. whitematt

whitematt Valued Member

kchenault:

[...studied under Grandmaster Woo Jin Jung in Cedar Rapids, IA. We have a connection there whitematt!]

It appears we do, although I haven't seen GM Jung in many years. I stopped training with him in '87. He had/has a very successful school and even authored a book, "Freestyle Sparring."

I myself just successfully completed my testing requirements and received my 3rd degree BB. If all proceeds according to current plan I will be opening my first school in the next few weeks.

Matt White

13. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

Will you be opening with an affiliation to him or just on your own? My instructors still do quite a bit in conjunction with GM Jung.:)

14. Ti-Kwon-Leap

Ti-Kwon-Leap New Member

Hello everyone, I currently study at USWESTCOAST TAEKWONDO here in portland.

Although it's WTF affiliated, Olympic style sparring is one day a week (friday) and on weekends(optionally) if you are a competitor, through a special Olympic style training class.
    From what I have read about WTF schools in general our classes are far from typical.

I am fortunate to belong to a school that spends a lot of time on practical self defense as well as encouraging students to attend various seminars (hapkido/BJJ/etc,) to round out one's training.
    We also are expected to learn ITF forms after attaining black belt ranking.

I have seen WTF cometitors with their hands hanging like useless appendages at their sides so I know exactly where the ridicule comes from.

I have a fair amount of knowledge and experience in several different styles so I can compare this with my current school and I think that the classes teach practical skills.
    My current plan is to continue TKD and supplement this with BJJ as I have become fascinated with it's practical effectiveness.

15. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Welcome, Sounds like a pretty cool class Ti-Kwon!!

What constitutes your typical week of training?

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome Ti-Kwon-Leap ...!!

I am also looking into bjj ... (just trying to find the time for it between teaching & training)

Nice to know that your WTF-style in an exception to the norm...
    :D

17. whitematt

whitematt Valued Member

kchenault:

[Will you be opening with an affiliation to him or just on your own? My instructors still do quite a bit in conjunction with GM Jung]

I wasn't quite clear when I stated I hadn't trained under GM Jung since '87.

I have been training with the ATA and received my current ranking from them. The school will have an ATA affiliation.

Matt White

18. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

Well good luck and God bless!

19. Ti-Kwon-Leap

Ti-Kwon-Leap New Member

Thanks guys.
    A typical week of training is as follows although they surprise us quite often to keep us flexible:

Monday: Forms and Hapkido self defense drills.

Tuesday: Blackbelt club: technique refinement, leadership skills and reality training (using what you have learned against suprise attacks)

Wednesday: punching/kicking drills.

Thursday Blackbelt club

Friday: I usually spar but it's a little frustrating because they have these "rules" :rolleyes: :woo: :woo: :woo:

20. stltkd

stltkd New Member

Hello all!!

First time on here so let me introduce myself. My name is Jon and I practice WTF TKD. I am a 2nd Dan, hopefully going to be testing for my 3rd within the next year. I was supposed to test in May, but my back decided to have a herniated disk that need operated on. Anyways... I look forward meeting all of you!

Jon