TKD and Ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by eudobex, Aug 18, 2004.

1. eudobex

eudobex New Member

I recently started ninjutsu after seven years of tkd, I really struggle to 'flow' as my instructor calls it. I am used to stopping between the moves, and tensing up my muscles for attacks. But I just can't get over it and its bugging me. Has anyone else had this problem? and what did they do to overcome it?

8th Kye

2. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

That seems 180 degreese from where you where taught. Yea you will probly have problems with it, but hey two different styles. If you took up grapoling after TKD you'd have problems their too. Your new to it, you will get better. Good luck.

3. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I've never tried ninjutsu, but from what I've learned in my 6 months in kungfu, and more relevantly, from tkd, is that you should ideally keep everything loose when you strike, until just before the moment of impact. The only way I know of to really work on this is to know that there's really a snap in nearly every technique, and that's when you tense for precision and power: The looser you are in delivery, the harder and faster you'll hit.

You'll want to concentrate on keeping your neck, shoulders, arms, and chest loose for hand strikes, and everything south of them loose for kicks. This is applicable to blocks too. I recently started doing this and I've noticed I can move from one move to another much easier, and the moves themselves generate much more power. I'm still working on doing hand/foot combos like that, though.

4. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

You were not doing that in TKD?

5. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

nono..I used to do that in kungfu without knowing to do it, but from then up to last week, I completely forgot about it. Bought a good book on tkd to remind me, though, and it's helped me alot.

6. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

Yeah, you're supposed to be relaxed until just before impact.

I've just started Ninjutsu, and they use the same thing with your fist, do not clench it until just before impact. So they're not too different.

But I can see where some things may be a bit confusing. I've only been doing TKD for about 1 1/2 years, so I'm probably not as used to it as you.

7. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

lol You're a lot more used to it than me: I've only been studying since last April :D

8. eudobex

eudobex New Member

What bugs me the most is that my ninjutsu instructor can tell when i have done TKD alot, because if i train more in tkd one week then my ninjustu just goes down the drain. Plus there is only one other girl who goes to ninjutsu and she is the only person who has started after me, yet she is much better. I just dont seem to be able to pick it up very quickly.

9. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

that makes sense. Ninjitsu apparently has a different way of doing things from Taekwondo. Then again, maybe you're Taekwondo training leaves out hand striking. Also, the girl who started after you might have studied something similar beforehand, or is just naturally talented. There's a ton of ways to explain that. Hell, the way I'm going in Taekwondo, I'll be more than halfway to 1st dan by next summer. Don't sweat it, though. Just take your time and get better at your own pace. It's not as if they're forcing you to test when you're not ready (if there's testing at all in Ninjitsu).
    If it's any consolation, you have an edge by studying Taekwondo too...From my understanding, Ninjitsu doesn't work on kicking nearly as much, and so you'll be better in that regard.

Practice makes really really good, so keep at it. You'll get it eventually.