Tips for teaching verbal de-escalation to kids?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by panderso, Oct 10, 2014.

1. panderso

panderso Valued Member

Hi all! Been away for awhile, nice to be back and catch up.

For those of you who work with kids, do you have any tips or recommended resources for teaching basic verbal de-escalation skills to young people? I'm thinking primary and early secondary school age, maybe ages 7-12?

I'm happy to re-work the adult stuff for a younger audience, but why re-invent the wheel if I don't need to?

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I'd take the material from Thompson's Verbal Judo and tweak it in word game and phrase exercises. With the young ones I teach I focus more on deterrence and de-escalation through body language than verbal skills.

3. panderso

panderso Valued Member

Thanks! That was one of the resources I'd planned on working with a bit.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We follow Kidscape on Twitter and they may be able to help.

They'll have a non martial arts approach and they're a charity established specifically to prevent bullying and child sexual abuse.

http://www.kidscape.org.uk/

5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

This is a fantastic resource Simon (and they offer accredited courses too!!!) thank you so much for highlighting their existence... :happy:

Kind Regards,

Travess

6. panderso

panderso Valued Member

Thanks, I hadn't heard of Kidscape before! I'll have to check them out. I've also been appreciating stuff from KidPower in the US, which focuses on a wider range of kids' safety skills.