Tips for recovery

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Monkey_Magic, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

What are your tips for recovery from training?

As I’m not getting younger :) I’m finding recovery to be a key determinant in how much I can train. So I’m interested in any tips for maximising recovery.

Also, I wonder if a tiring job can have more impact than age. How do people balance these sorts of jobs with adequate recovery and training?

I’m going to start the ball rolling with my own tip: using Epsom salts in the bath to soothe muscles.

axelb likes this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

B vitamins, zinc and selenium, sleep, chocolate milk after exercise, sleep, regular mobility/Stretching, and plenty of sleep!

axelb likes this.
  3. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I’ve obviously not been drinking enough chocolate milk! :D

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Shaolin monks used to swear by it......

:)

axelb and Monkey_Magic like this.
  5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Planned rest days
    Aerobic training
    Carbs after training
    Sleep
    Stretching

axelb, Dead_pool and hewho like this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

As for the tiring jobs impact the body doesn't recognise different types of stress, is work or training it just recognises and responds to stress

so all types of stress worked related, age related, training related add to it, you have to recognise and adjust accordingly to not burn out

axelb likes this.
  7. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Plenty of sleep, lighter days and planned rest days. Listening to your body. Big +1 for chocolate milk! :D I always feel better after a contrast shower. (Cold, Hot, Cold etc).
    Treat yourself to different punnets of fruit/different juices, and lots of veg so you know you're getting a good variety of vitamins alongside your main meals.

axelb and Simon like this.
  8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

a good balanced diet, too little and the fatigue will build up. getting all the different food types :)
    sleep makes a big difference, quality of the sleep you get!

I love chocolate milk :D these days it's usually chocolate protien shake with a handful of spinach.

if I have a lot of training planned and I'm sore, I will take an ice bath, but I like to plan my training so it doesn't get to that point.

regular foam/trigger point roller.

planned light week (easy training) schedule based around your bodies needs (for me that's every 4-6 weeks)
    some people can go longer without, very much based on your training and your body.