Tips For New Grapplers version 1.1

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by big_ash, Mar 14, 2006.

1. big_ash

big_ash New Member

Tips For New Grapplers version 1.1
    By Nathan 'Levo' Leverton

Enjoy The Training

This is a hobby/pastime for most, you are learning to fight but you should also be having fun.

It will be hard at times and you may question if it's worth it but you gotta be enjoying it deep down. If you don't then find something else, life is to short.

Relax

Every newbie gets told to "relax" about a hundred times, it'll take time to come but is important for productive training.

What they roughly mean is:

a) Pace yourself. Don't try to go all out for 30 seconds then be unable to carry on rolling without passing out or throwing up. Learn that gassing sucks and that a purple complexion suits nobody.

b) Don't be so tense, it'll slow you down and make you tire quicker. Not every muscle in your body has to be working at full contraction the whole time!

c) Don't freak out in bad positions or when you're caught in a sub, it's just training. By staying calm and reacting instead of panicking you'll learn more.

d) Expend your energy as efficiently as possible.

e) Don't try to do moves a hundred times faster than needed (or that your skill level allows). Mechanics and leverage are important too.

f) Don't try to bully moves. Use what is there, not just what you want. Also, learning when to let go of a move is as important as when to go for one.

g) Head squeezers suck. You're there to learn, not to try and headlock someone to death.

Breathe

When newbies tense up they tend to hold their breath as well.

Try to keep a regular breathing pattern. Sounds simple but you'd be surprised how hard it can be when under pressure. You will gas anyway but breath and you'll last a lot longer.

Patience

If you want to learn anything and get good it takes time.

You aren't going to be tapping everyone out after a weeks training.

Have patience and put in the work, it'll come.

Consistency

If you want to make progress then consistent training is key.

A session here and there is no good, make the effort to get down to regular classes.

Consistency in attitude is also important.

Focus

Simply turning up is not enough.

No one else can make you good, a coach can only guide you, it's down to you.

Pay attention and try to get as much out of the class as possible.

You should take something from every drill and roll.

Ask Questions

If you don't understand something then ask, you are there to learn.

Ask some of the more experienced students you train with as well as the coach.

If someone keeps catching you with something during training ask what you are doing wrong. Correcting it will make you both better.

As the saying goes "The only stupid question is the one not asked".

Note: Ask relevant questions, don't be the nob who asks "Would Bruce Lee beat Rickson Gracie?" when a drill is being explained.

Tap

Don't get hurt. If you are caught tap.

You're supposed to get tapped, it's part of the game.

If you can escape go for it but if you're going to get hurt tap.

You don't actually have to be in pain with gritted teeth to tap, sometimes that is too late!

We all end up learning this the hard way. Anyone with some mat time under his belt can probably think of times he wishes he hadn't been so stubborn and had tapped earlier.

Tapping and carrying on is lot better than missing sessions while an injury heals.

Don't Be A Jerk With Submissions

Apply the final portion of submissions with slow even pressure, do not jerk them on without. By all means enter quickly in to the technique, but when it comes to finishing you gotta control the limb and apply pressure slowly.

Be Aware Of The Tap

When you have a submission applied it is your partners job to tap, but it's yours to notice the tap. Don't just wildly apply the submission without being a aware of your opponent, he may not be able to use his hands on you and could signal you by stamping his feet, vocally or tapping the mat.

Injuries

** Take injuries seriously **

Another biggie we all learn the hard way, and some of us never get in to our thick heads.

If you pick up an injury, stop and get it treated before you go back on the mat. Missing the end of a session to ice an injury and skipping the rest of the week is better than creating a problem which will blight your training for months or even years. Seriously, if you need to take time off, do it.

Going down to watch the classes during your break is encouraged, but only if you can resist going on. If it's too much temptation find something else to do.

Learn to treat your injuries. R.I.C.E. will be your best friend.

Rest Ice Compression Elevation

Don't Beat Yourself Up

You WILL get your ass kicked.

At the start you will get tapped lots. Remember that everyone went through the same thing, even the best.

Even with some experience you'll always get caught and have days when you get schooled by people you normally clown. Bad sessions are part of training. Don't get discouraged. Have patience, keep training and try to enjoy the workout.

Watch Others

You can learn a lot from watching others. You may be able to pick up a technique, detail or movement that will help your game.

Being able to see and understand what others are doing will increase your understanding.

Everyone has their own way of grappling, differing styles can teach you different things.

Studying someone better than you and modelling how they roll can be a good way to make progress.

Hygiene

Shouldn't really need to include this but you never know:

Wash your kit every session.

Wash yourself every session.

Keep nails trimmed.

Respect

Show respect to the people you train with.

On the mat keep your partners safety in mind and don't go bullying less experienced players.

Off the mat, some **** taking is part of being a team but bad blood and gossip can kill a group.

"Leave Your Ego At The Door"

This is a motto at many clubs. Training can be competitive but you are there to learn, not fight. Training and drilling is about improving performance, not "winning". Don't bring your insecurities on to the mat.

Position, Position, Position

Good position skills are what makes a good grappler.

Pin escapes and guard passing are the two most important aspects of your game, they are what you are going to need when rolling with better opponents. Add to that your pinning game and sweeps. This should be your focus, not just when you start training but always.

Submissions are great fun but good position skills are where it's at, they are what get you to the sub and keep you out of bad positions. Not much point learning a submission combo from the mount if you can't get there or hold the position.

The Fundamentals Are Your Friends

Spending the time on the fundamentals is the way to get good at grappling.

The "basics" may seem a boring after a few months but in time you will see the depth of understanding there is to gain in their application. Little nuances will become apparent and you will have the foundation to take your game to the next level.

Learn To Do The Things You Hate To Do

We all have areas we need to train but try to put off. It may be your side control escapes, your penetration step or your leg kick. You need to learn to enjoy this training, it is focusing on these areas that improve your game, not relying on your strong moves. Train the things you hate in the knowledge you're making progress and putting in that extra bit of effort others at your club might not.

Training Partners

Finding a good drilling partner is great for making really progress, someone who understand how you train and will challenge you.

However, training with just one or two people can put you in a rut, make sure you roll with as wide a cross section of the club as possible.

Goal Setting

"Set daily, weekly, monthly and yearly goals. Write them down and share them with someone close to you." - Randy Couture

You must constantly set realistic and relevant goals, have a plan to achieve them and stick to it. Goals keep you motivated and give you a map for improvement.

Performance Is Your Guide

When evaluating your physical skills in fighting/martial arts the only thing that matters is performance. Performance is measured by success against a resisting opponent (ie sparring). That's it, there is nothing else! Things that don't matter include: how many techniques you know, how many boards you can break, who your sensei is, what belts you have, if you can do a back flip, how many books you have, the brand of training gear you wear etc etc.

Rest

Get plenty of sleep and rest. Your body needs time for recuperation, repair and growth. Over-training, tiredness and stress will all hamper performance.

Nutrition

Your nutrition is you fuel. You must find a good balance in your food, drink and supplements to support your training.

The Big Picture

Remember that fighting ability doesn't mean @#%$ in the big picture. If it brings enjoyment to your life that's brilliant. But, at you funeral do you want the mourners missing you and grieving over the loss or saying "well, he had a really tight side control". Be nice and let your family and friends know how much you love 'em.

2. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

This is really good. Do you mind if I print it out to give my students?

3. big_ash

big_ash New Member

The permission's not mine to give. A guy called Levo posted it on another forum (SFUK I think) ages ago. I printed it off and gave it out my students - I would imagine quite a few other people did as well.

Ash

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Levo's a member here to, though I don't think he's posted for ages :(

5. MonsterOnJuice

MonsterOnJuice New Member

this is a great sheet for beginers to read.. jsut want to bump this

6. big_ash

big_ash New Member

7. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

I learnt something from our Aikido champ in TKD, he said that sometimes tapping the mat is useless, especially if the submisser (I think I've just made up a word, Jesus- I'm American) can't see your free arm. So try and tap the submissers body, he said that works best, do this if you can.

8. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

I think it's a real good article... taking this one to the club next week.

:D

9. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I wish I would have read that before I started rolling!

Excellent material.

I'm bringing this to my club too!

10. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

Right, let other people beat you up. :cool:

11. Existence

Existence Super Saiyajin :o

yes thanks for the article. funny how someone can think they know this stuff, but and up throwing it all out the window. (like me sometimes)

12. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Wow this is really good stuff. Levo's instructionals are apparently pretty good too.

I notice Levo offered to teach at the 2006 southern england MAP meet. Did you guys take him up on the offer? That would be a real corker.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  13. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

A lot of this is applicable to more than just grappling arts too.

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I had the oppertunity to train with him once and bought his guard tapes, radically altered how I fight on the deck for the better.

Can't hype him enough :)

Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes. Buy Levo's tapes.

15. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I think they went out of print a while ago. :(

So what is so good about his guard tapes then? I've heard nothing but good news. Is it applicable to gi stuff also?

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The first tape teaches structure, theory and concepts of the guard, without which makes fighting for a submission a lot harder. There are drills to train these ideas and in the second tape techniques.

It's based on no-gi, but as we all know there is considerable cross over between the two.

:)

17. freak

freak Valued Member

great post, thanks alot!

18. Venrix

Venrix Oooo... Shiny....

Fair play. This is really good stuff. So good in fact, that I think I'll "steal" it. Ok, I mean quote it in our next newsletter with full credit to Nathan Leverton and MAP.

Top Stuff Indeed. I tent to appreciate anything that brings the point accross in a simplistic and realistic manner.

-V-

19. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

Great constructive post!

20. Flipper

Flipper Banned Banned

Image removed - Freeform

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006