Tips for lanky freestyle wrestlers

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Timmy Boy, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Hi all,

So one problem I find with wrestling is that I have a relatively tall and lanky build, whereas my opponents tend to be shorter but heavily built. I find it quite hard to get underneath them in sparring in order to execute takedowns, so I often find I have to play an overly defensive game by sprawling and going for the pin once they're down.

Anyone have any tips? :)

2. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Hit the weights, smash the protein and bulk up :)

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Valued Member MAP 2017 Gold Award

Stay low. Eye level.

I personally prefer trips and over/under clinching because I'm tall and lanky.

Good luck to ye!

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Work the armdrags

5. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

My wrestling coach is a lanky dude and his go-to is ankle-picks off a collar tie.

6. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Cheers for all the tips, guys! Great stuff so far!

I do like the arm drags, and I guess it's about finding a method that works for you.

Speaking of keeping your level low... I just found this video on a YouTube search... this guy stays REALLY low, it seems to work for him!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCxva5g21o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCxva5g21o[/ame]

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Ankle picks seem like a good option because of a reach advantage.

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Hunting down pointysniney's lesson & instructor is a night out :)

Edit: if he's from the Uk

9. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

Kick them in the head? :p How long have you be wrestling for? What do people look like in your weight categories? It could be an advantage as you get used to fighting shorter guys buy shorter guys dont usually fight taller guys if that makes sense?

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm 5'10 / 84kg. Although not tall for my division, I got weird monkey like long arms but above average flexibility.

Be careful of over reaching, your arm reach makes for good leverage against you.

Without question get the head grabs off you as soon as, especially if you have a height advantage. Once again this comes to leverage.

Arm drags (straight to the tricep) forget about the wrist grab, just go straight for the tricep and pull (and then shoot forward waistlock TD)

Your longer arms would help you with your crossface attacks. (I don't mean the Benoit lock lol) As you can probably go "deeper" with your arm across the face and onto the opponent's shoulder for a tighter lock.

11. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

I can just imagine him slapping on the crossface on the mat Benoit style and then being like: " oh sorry my bad someone on a forum said it would work" haha :p

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Attached Files: