tips against wrestlers?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by mljk, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mljk

mljk New Member

Hey, i just had a couple of questions.

I'm more of a BJJ/Judo fighter and i'm asking for some help fighting against bigger and stronger wrestlers.

Most wrestlers i know shoot for a one or two leg takedown.

And i simply pull guard. And since they're bigger adn stronger i feel like they have a pretty big advantage from there. They try to punch and choke from there. and although i try to control with my hips adn legs, it gets very tiring since they're bigger and stronger.

I have done the guillitine choke before while they're trying a take down. but sometimes they duck too low down and i can't get it. Would yuou reccommend sprallling and trying to wrestle witih them?

What specific tips or advice would you give?

I'm not asking for a BJJ vs. Wrestling fight, just loooking for some help.

Thanks, adn sorry if they're old or answered or stupid questions.

2. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Just give up. You can't win against a wrestler.

:D

3. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

I had a guy do that to me once.

Strangely enough I offered a leg.

He went for it, I withdrew it and went for a hammer fist on the mullet.

Mind you this was a self defense situation, I doubt my solution is useful for you.

4. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I don't know how good you are on your feet, but practice your sprawl and remember to always be circling. I mean ALWAYS. There are other things you can do. You can counter shots with uchimata or other throws, but the two vital components to defense against shots are circling and sprawling.

If these guys are trying to choke you from inside your guard, it seems like they can't exactly have world-class sub defense. How good are you at sweeps and submissions from your guard? If they're even attempting to choke you, that should mean they aren't posturing up and are asking to be swept.

He must have sucked at takedowns or maybe had a soft spot on his head. Good wrestlers have to take legs that highly skilled opponents are trying to keep from them. You shouldn't be able to just "withdraw" your leg. And a hammerfist to the head? Seems more likely to hurt your hand than to do anything to him.

5. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

I didn't exactly offer a leg, but a leading leg is present in the stance.

When the strike connected it was in the occipital area. This affects the visual cortex. He may be conscious, but he couldn't really see. You don't need a bone cruncher of a hit to get that affect, then again it can't be soft either. This resulted in a crap shoot, which I was able to extract my leg from.

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Keep circling away from his power-hand, that'll make it harder for him to shoot since you'll be out of position much of the time. Since they keep putting you on your back, use this as an opportunity to work on your guard game - you're going to be there anyway at the moment, see it as a positive thing, and since their shots are better than your sprawl by the sounds of it, it's a good opportunity to be working on that too. No one ever got better at sprawling by defending crappy shots
    Moved to BJJ :)

7. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

I would be careful with the "always circiling" thing. If you are contantly circling, you are also setting yourself up for a single.

Sprawling is a good idea, but easier said than done against a good wrestler.

Yes, work on your sprawl and general defense, but you are going to have to work on your own takedown offense as well if you're to have any chance. No defense will be effective if you are just constantly trying to not be taken down.

...and ignore the 'hit him in the back of the head' - type stuff. That's right up there with 'jump backwards at the last moment!' or 'go into your horse-stance and root your chi!' if you know what I mean...

8. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I find it easier to take a single when the other guy is stepping forward rather than circling. I guess he could be stepping backward instead, but that sets him up for a double even moreso.

Of course, if you just sit there circling and never attacking, eventually you'll be taken down (unless your sprawl is orders of magnitude better than the other guy's shot). So I, of course, agree that offense is another necessary component to winning.

Thank you!

9. mljk

mljk New Member

thank you guys very much for the tips.

Indeed, i really need to work offense and sweeps from the guard. for me, the guard is more of a defense position. I should be able to do something since the wrestler doesn't know what to do from there, cause to him, its a "pin" and then he "wins."

Also, i need to concentrate on circling, since i usually never do that. And i usually go down quite willingly, so i'll need to work on my spralls as well.

Haha, i guess i've got a lot of work to do.

another stupid question for you guys.
    sometimes we sorta clinch out, but then he sorta bends down and scoots his ass out. whats the best throw/take down to attempt from that position? i heard someoen say uchi mata, but i'm not sure.

thanks for all the help.

10. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Are you typically fighting gi or no gi?

If it's gi, you might try leading with one leg to bait for the single. When they go for it, grab the belt and go for hikikomi gaeshi. Even if it doesn't work, you'll probably end up with guard or butterfly guard.

If they're trying to choke you from inside your guard, they're probably asking for a sweep or an armbar. I find a lot of inexperienced judo guys try to choke me from inside my guard, and I can usually get a good sweep on them. I'm not sure what it's called.... you put one butterfly hook in, hook behind the opposite leg with your other foot, control the arm, and extend the butterfly hook (my best attempt to describe it). That sweep has really changed my guard game.

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'm tired and going to bed right now but this caught my eye. As a pharmacist I would have expected you to have a bit more understanding of how the brain works. This is incredibly vague and smells of BS.

And your 'wrestler' must have sucked if you 'withdrew' your leg. Sure it wasn't just a drunken scuffle with some dude who tried to tackle you?

12. mljk

mljk New Member

we fight typically no gi, but normal clothing.

but the funny thing is that i ended up using that throw on him two days ago! but he rolled over and i wasn't able to get the mount. instead, i ended up with a front choke.

Yes, i'll really have to work on my sweeps. Thanks for the help.

13. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

You can do the same in wrestling, if you are confident about your defense and countering. I do that all the time.

14. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

You can do pretty much the same move with no gi. You just won't be grabbing the belt.

15. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Worst guy I ever wrestled with was a boxer. Footwork was just too good. So I think footwork could be good for you.

16. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Can you elaborate on how much grappling experience he had?

17. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

A few years at least. His BJJ is good and he has a good double leg, but that's because he uses his hands well to set it up. I couldn't shoot or get a hold of him though because he was moving about so well, using distance. Would change angle and direction on me. He never stopped moving, which I think is the key. People stand in front of me I grab them. This fails me on him! :D

In the clinch wasn't much problem as I am bigger than him and I have my Judo. Getting the clinch - where I like to be - was the kicker though.