Time On Your Hands

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Silentmonk, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Playing senior level football (soccer) in the semi final of a county cup :cry: Tackling one person as another slid in and tried to send my knee in the opposite direction messed up my medial ligament. Of course if I had stopped then it would have probably been fine, but playing the next 2 seasons on pain killers so that i could go out on the pitch probably didn't help either. :bang: I gave up football and the pain subsided a bit but it was affecting my training so it was time to get it sorted. And no I don't mind you asking at all :) Lesson for everyone there. Stop and allow recovery when it happens rather than let pride make things worse i guess.

2. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

One thing I did when I was stuck somewhere for 3 weeks with nowhere to practice was meditate on my forms. I retaught myself some of my forms by number and then ran through them in my head by the numbers. Then I would test myself by thinking of a number and then as quick as I could, visualize that piece of the form. I found this kind of practice to be a huge time sink, which was great because I had a lot of time to kill.

3. Silentmonk

Again not a bad idea since KJN is making us teach the forms by numbers to the kids, I could do with refreshing that in my head. :)

4. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Hehe, you could write your knee op in to it :)

5. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

may i suggest, not sitting on the sofa stuffing yourself with pizza?

LOL :)

6. Silentmonk

This is true but how can Noah do that??? Maybe in the fight at Alice Springs?? hmmm will require reworking it could be how they find out where he is. This might work :)

7. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

Run through stuff in your head. It's good for memory and it helps you get the moves down.

8. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Why would you do something as useless as meditating when you could be doing pull ups or push ups? Seems like a complete waste of time all the best fighters never meditate, they stick to things that have results. Meditating is for the lazy.

9. You Won Hwa

You Won Hwa Valued Member

Maybe if all one did was meditate, as an excuse for not doing anything else. But meditation is in the KSW curriculum. It helps calm the mind and solidify the material, probably a dozen other benefits

Another forms idea is to do them still (kneeling or sitting) with just the handmotions. THAT will give you some insight on the forms!

10. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

I disagree with most of that post. Probably obvious why.

11. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Your lazy? :)

12. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

Think you're being out of order here rex!!!

Your comments reflect that of someone who doesn't respect the art and that of someone who lacks the maturity to understand that there are deeper areas of Martial Arts than just the physical aspects.

If you're only interested in the physical aspects maybe you should go and sign up at Tae bo...lol

With any luck you'll soon realise that physical training alone won't get you as far as you think. To become a complete martial artist you need to mental aspect as well.

13. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Well i don't want to steal this guys thread so ill make a seperate one to discuss this.

14. ember

ember Valued Member

I'll second this:

You can also read up more on Korea's history and culture. Here's a website I've enjoyed:

http://www.koreanhistoryproject.org/Ket/introduction.htm

Or language:
    http://langintro.com/kintro/

I also found a couple of books at the campus library, of Korean short stories translated into English. If you have the same luck, I'd suggest it. It was after the fact, but my "Cultures of Asia" professor had recommended this sort of thing for the class.

15. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

and respect! :bang:

16. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

You don't just get respect, you earn it.

17. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

very true.

18. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Korean is easy to learn to read and write. 3 weeks of diligent practice only 1 hour a day and you will read and write with ease. If thats what you want to learn.

19. Silentmonk

Thank you that is a cool site :)

20. ember

ember Valued Member

That may cover the alphabet, but not the vocabulary or the grammar. I know what you've posted about needing the Koreans, but languages are another of my hobbies.