Time On Your Hands

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Silentmonk, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

So say you had a spare 4 weeks on your hands where for some reason (say for instance knee surgery) you couldn't physically train. What would be the areas that you would spend time studying??? And does anyone have some interesting links to articles that might be an interesting read?? :)

2. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

I'd work on hand conditioning and no I don't mean the type your thinking of!!!!

I'd also study all the terminology and history of the art in more depth to gain a better understanding of it.

Maybe even look at the areas of Kuk Sool that you don't spend much time on or are weak at and cover the theory on it etc.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know mate.

3. Silentmonk

I've only got 4 weeks :D :D

4. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

hey monk, hows the knee....? hope all the surgery went well??? missed ya holding the kick shield of tuesday night LOL :D

5. Silentmonk

Yeah thats what did it!!! :D

Have to say my ribs didn't miss holding it. :D

Doc says my dancing days are over. Not cos of the surgery but cos i have no rhythm lol :)

6. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

Im glad the doc got the guts to tell ya cos weve been wanting to tell you that for years...... :D

7. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

How about learning the Korean names for the pressure points. That'd keeep you busy. Here is online source of numbered diagrams, http://www.yinyanghouse.com/acupoints.html

They use the same numbering system as the Kuk Sool book.

8. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i could give you a list of *educational* websites worth viewing but i don't think they would be suitable on a family forum like this :p

hope all is well mate.

:)

9. Silentmonk

And the prize for the most sensible answer so far goes too......

Thats not a bad idea i always forget those :)

10. Silentmonk

Entity has already sorted those sites out for me dave ;) :D

11. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Do one legged squats so you have one big leg and one small leg? Or you could learn to do handstand pushup or you can do normal push ups just using one leg (I don't know how bad the injury is so im guessing). Work on a six pack by dieting and stomach exercises? There quite a bit of training you can do with one leg.

12. Silentmonk

Handstand push-ups i like idea of,haven't done those for what seems like a lifetime. :) Already doing most push ups you could throw at me one legged or otherwise. Now theres a chalenge lol :D Six-pack is practically there. :) Yeah i know theres lots of training i can actually do,I meant instead of my traditional martial arts forms and kicking as opposed to general fitness sorry i wasn't specific my fault, though new ideas there too would be cool. I was just looking for ideas on the more academic and internal bits really i spose. One legged squats would be funny though to end up with a big left leg lol :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  13. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Well learning the numbers would be useful as well as the korean names for all the kicks and hand strikes, or learn the miridian lines that the "pressure points" are on e.g lung 3, heart 9 ect.

14. Silentmonk

Hehe the meridian lines are doing my head in already lol now i remember why i ignore this area of my education lol :D

15. You Won Hwa

You Won Hwa Valued Member

Watch the KSW training DVDs, looking for detail and variation, intersperced with MA movies, and attempt to ID the Korean name for every kick and punch. Learn any forms or techniques you don't know from the textbooks, handbooks, or videos. Discuss differances notices in the training DVDs with fellow practitioners or instructors. Write a book/article on "Changes in Kuk Sool Won over the last 25 years."

You probably wanted more fun suggestions. Get pretty examples of the appropriate gender to come over and demonstrate, and offer detail or feedback. But then, if people are coming over, talking may be more fun.

The pressure point idea sound fun: memorize the Korean names and the English equivalent. Write a novel/short story based upon the poetic descriptions of the points, maybe set in medieval Korea. Write a humerous dictionary based upon mispronounciation of the poetic names, in English or Korean.

I hope you are feeling better.

16. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

I would work on ki breathing

17. Silentmonk

Oh yeah!!! Maybe I should write my book, hey AirNick!! But am I ready mate?? Am I ready?? :confused:

18. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

brush up on nun chuk sylabus?

19. Silentmonk

I'd be in hospital again :D With head injuries lol :D no another valid idea :)

20. JSun

JSun Valued Member

If you don't mind me asking, how did you injure your knee?