Time on Mount Myoboku

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Ero-Sennin, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

March 3rd - March 17th

Training Focus
    1. Lose Another Belt Loop
    2. Improve Overal Muscular Endurance In Pushups, Pull-Ups, Squat Jumps, Split Squats, and Burpees
    3. Establish Running Consistency
    4. Have Stronger Focus On Developing Boxing Skillsets

Fitness Measurements
    1. Daily Resting Heart Rate
    2. Daily Pedometer Step Count
    3. Conversion Of Exercise To Pedometer Step Counts
    4. Total # of Pushups, Pullups, Squat Jumps, and Burpees in 1 Min Time At End Of Training Weeks
    5. 1 Mile Timed Run At End Of Training Weeks

Constants During Time Period
    1. 1 Mile Run w/ 1 Mile Speed Walk will be done every day but Saturday for week 1, 1.5 Mile Run w/ .5 mile Speed walk Week 2
    2. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday - 10x10 Pushups w/ :30 break, 10x3 Pull-Ups w/ :30 break will be done prior to workout
    3. Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 10x10 Squat Jumps w/ :30 break, 10x10 Split Squats w/ :30 break will be done prior to workout
    4. 50 Burpees Will be done every workout before leaving the gym on week 1, 100 burpees the second week. Burpees can be done throughout the workout or all at once.
    5. 10,000 Steps w/ Pedometer will be done aside from exercise activity every day but Saturday

Chosen Tabata Exercises For Week
    - Squat Thrusts w/ 15lb dumbells
    - 24 Inch box step ups

Repetitions completed during each interval will be logged

Log will also contain general feeling of wellness and ability daily

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. Ero-Sennin

March 3rd - Sunday

RHR - Forgot to measure it upon waking up

Ped Count - 10,000

Mile Run - 8:20 (Course: Moderate incline/declining hills)

Workout

6x3min rnds :)30 break)- Sparring @ medium and light intensity​

Pushup Scheme - Became increasingly difficult after the 6th set

Pullup Scheme - Became increasingly difficult after the 6th set

8x3min rnds :)30 break) - Heavybag work ​

3 sets (00:00break) - 100 Speed Skips w/ rope : 10x100lbs push press

x20 Pullups - Major focus on concentric portion of movement

2x2min rnds :)30 break) - Arm Circles

x25 Burpees

Things To Note

Running - Judging by what I ran the 1.5 mile in my health class (11:30), clearly a terrain with hills makes you slower. Will definitely have to remember to hit the track at the school to measure 1 mile time at end of period to see how different it is time wise.

Sparring - Felt ok. Had a good amount of energy for having not eaten much in the morning. Popped my sparring partner in the ribs a bit too hard and we had to stop. Hope he's doing ok. Not the way I wanted to learn my body shots were packing some power.

Workout - Missed 50 burpees because I forgot about them 15 minutes until the gym was about to close. Whoops. Other then that I generally felt good during the workout. Had to take a dose of "suck it the heck up" during the rope/push press scheme but got through it fine. Weight feels really heavy when you've been doing endurance related activities.

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Awesome, I look forward to reading this log!

4. Ero-Sennin

March 4th - Monday

RHR - 57 BPM

Ped Count - 10,000

Mile Run - 9:20 (Course: Moderate incline/declining hills)

Workout

Jump Squat Scheme - Somewhat difficult around 7th set.

Jumping Split Squat Scheme - Difficult @ 4th set

Burpee Focus

Setup - Agility Ladder & Speed Bag​

Scheme - 2 min rnds :)30 break transition).

Ladder - Forward or Lateral Icky Shufflt & Lateral Stance Switch.@ One end of ladder, 4x180 degree stance switches. At other end of ladder,2 to 5 burpees​

Speed Bag - Used for leg recovery.

*Scheme Continued until 50 burpees completed

5x10 - 35 degree incline reverse crunches, legs held @ 90 degree angle (Upper body laying on the high end of 35 degrees)

x50 - 9 lbs med ball wall throw/catch sit-ups

Stretching

Things To Note

Running - Like yesterday I didn't do my running the morning like I am supposed to do. While part of my goal for these two weeks is to increase activity level throughout the day, I find it hard to roll out of my bed, throw on my running shoes and hop out into the cold wind for a short run and walk. This run was complete about 40 min. after my workout, and due to the heavy focus on leg work it suffered a whole minute. The long, moderate inclines on my route became monstrous hills, and the declines became sheer cliffs on this run! Also had to fight a minor stitch in the side and right quad cramp. Had to fight the stitch on the speed walk too.

Workout - Holy Crap! After doing the jump squats and the jumping split squats my legs were done. I didn't even focus on how many ladder drills I did because my foot speed was so drastically reduced I looked like I was drunk. The scheme was set up just to get the burpees in. I was planning on doing Tabata during leg days but I'm probably going to have to wait next week for my legs to adapt to this volume of work. I think progress will be quick though, this week is just going to suck because the volume of strength/endurance exercises and duration is being increased quite a bit. Good thing it's all body weight stuff.

5. Ero-Sennin

6. Ero-Sennin

Was a "snow day" today. School got canceled, DC shut down, etc.. What happened was some snow in the afternoon, then rain, then hardly any evidence of snow in the evening and no reason to have shut down everything. Gym closed down too. Got a little done in the apartment, not much though.

Pushup Scheme - Got hard around 7th set, easier all around though.

5x12 60lbs - curls
    5x12 60lbs - lying tricep extentions

Feeling great with the day of rest though!

7. Ero-Sennin

March 7th - Thursday​

RHR - 68 BPM (that's what happens when you take your HR after consuming caffeine!)

Ped Count - 11,128

Mile Run - None

Workout

2x5min rnds :)30 break) - Skipping Rope

Pullup Scheme - Got hard around 8th set

3x5min rnds :)30 break) - Skipping Rope

6x3min rnds :)30 break) - Inside Fighting/Sparring work - light-med intensity

2x3min rnds :)30 break) - Heavy Bag

4x3min rnds :)30 break) - Sparring w/ beginner, jab/movement work​

Things To Note

I am missing 3 miles (4 tomorrow), 125 burpees (175 tomorrow) from my overall work goal, and a whole day of 10k steps. Not good. Will see how much I can make up tomorrow eh? Other then that I'm feeling pretty good, legs will finally be healed up tomorrow. Severely overestimated the jump squat/split squat scheme. Got fibers deep down in the muscle sore.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. Ero-Sennin

March 8th Friday

RHR - No clue

Ped Count - 6,000

Mile Run - Pffft

Workout​

5x3min rnds :)30 break) - Light-Medium Sparring​

Jump Squat Scheme - No problem completing

Jump Split Squat Scheme- Hard around 8th set

3x12 @95lbs barbell - Wide Grip, Straight Leg Deadlifts

8x3 min rnds (1:00 break) - Heavy Bag Work ​

**Burpees were done during break time in Heavy Bag work. Ended up being 7,7,6,6,6,6,6,6 for the total 50 for the day. Was surprisingly easy.

Things To Note

Running - Glad I put "establishing running consistency" into my goals instead of "knock running time down to such and such." I really need to figure out how to fit this in during my day. Seriously lacking in discipline here.

Workout - Legs this day was nowhere near as bad as the first day. Adapted pretty quickly to the new stresses. Felt like my hamstrings are getting a lack of work which is why added in the straight leg deadlifts. The squat jumps and jumping split squats are really hitting my quads and glute muscles though.

Burpees - Although I lacked remembering to do them most of the week, I did hit around 125 throughout the week. Was surprised at how easy they were at the end of a workout during bag work. Was having a lot of technique problems with my back being too tight to get my legs back underneath me at the start of the week but going slow and focusing on the "crunch" part of bringing the legs back up has made it a lot smoother for me. Will definitely be trying to hit the 100 a day throughout my workouts next week.

Weekly Overall - While I feel like I should be working out 6 days straight, even with a "snow day" it's a little difficult to fit all the activity (especially the running) in with 5 classes at school and coordinating different stuff with the wife. My upper body is coming along pretty well and gets a lot of work punching vs. my legs which doesn't get a lot of full ROM work during boxing training. That said I'm probably going to drop working out on Thursdays. Thursday is also the day a lot of school stuff piles up and needs to be taken care of.

While I didn't achieve my goals set for this week I still made a lot of progress. Pushups/Pullups are way easier and I can feel the difference in my legs when I'm walking up/down stairs or moving around the ring. Didn't get the best out of this week but I got a good amount progress.

9. Ero-Sennin

March 9th - Saturday​

Rest Day. Better known as "clean the house before the wife comes back from school so the night can be peaceful" day. Because it's all "my mess" of course :roll eyes:. Clearly I'm the only one living in the apartment.

10. Ero-Sennin

March 10th - Sunday

Daily Measurements I'm supposed to do - Didn't do them, neither did I run.

Workout

Pushup Scheme - First 5 sets were really easy. I think I started with a lot narrower hand positioning though which fatigued me pretty good after the first 5. I also need to have something to mark which set I'm on, think I did a few extra sets.

Pull Up Scheme - Didn't feel great but I got through them no problem. Last couple sets were pretty crappy though.

Something like 7 sets of mixed regular curls and reverse curls w/ 65 lbs on a curl bar. Also did 7 or so sets of standing triceps presses too. Was getting a really nice pump and the vein on my right bicep and left deltoid are starting to come back. Was totally just doing this to admire myself in the mirror.

5x3min rnds (1:00 break) - Heavy Bag/10 burpees during break​

Rope/Burpee/Speed Bag Scheme - 100 (double count) rope skips - 10 burpees - 100 Speed bag (double count) - 10 burpees. (Total: 3x rope skip, 3x speed bag, 50 burpees)

Things To Note

Pushup/Pullup Schemes - Felt like this was a lot harder then what it should have been. I may have just had a cruddy day though. Will have to see how it goes on Tuesday. I didn't feel sluggish in my upper body during the bag work like I have been though, so there was still some sort of "progress" I suppose in my body adapting to the work load.

Burpees- Probably the most sucky workout to do during a "break period" on anything. Yuck. By the time I got to the 80 mark I was looking at the floor like it was evil.

Overall - I wouldn't call today a great workout. Had a big helping of yams with some "fake" butter reinforced with Omega3's which has given me good energy for a workout before. Apparently not today. Felt really tired when I got home afterwards too. Still, volume wise for strength endurance was up there and I made it through without feeling like I was dying. It just all felt sucky today.

11. Ero-Sennin

March 10th - Monday

*** Horrible day today with academics. Had to force write an entire research paper on Irritable Bowel Syndrome on top of doing all the research required, had to get a testing situation fixed to re-take a test, and all of this took a lot of time and energy on top of all my other classes today. I'm just happy I made it to the gym!

10x3min rnds (1:00 break) - Heavy Bag Work - Burpees during break

Ab Circuit x2 - 15xBall Slam on wall sit-ups - 15xstanding lateral crunches w/45lbs - 15xreverse crunches on 35 degree incline, legs @ 90degree angle.

Overall it was a pretty darn good workout! Barely any rest with all the burpees so it was just continuous work for about 45 min. straight. I also made the mistake of wearing sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt. The gym was probably 85-90 degrees and I left soaking wet.