Tiger Hook Swords

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by KageAkuma, Jun 30, 2007.

1. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Does anyone here practice the Tiger Hook Swords?

2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Do you mean double hook swords?

We have a pair in our school but no one knows how to use them and I can't for the life of me work out what to do. Nearly every edge is a cutting surface with a ruddy great spike at the bottom!

3. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

I know the tiger hooks from 3 different styles. They're one of my all time favorite weapons.

4. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Try and use the search-function; I think there was a thread on tiger-hook-swords on this forum earlier, and that most were said in that thread.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

6. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Yes, but only from one style. *kicks rocks* 19th gets all the fun. :D

7. southern jester

southern jester New Member

hey KageAkuma,

have been reading a book about cma and recently learned what double hook swords were actually used for. this may or not be of any intrest to you just thought you might like to know what the weapon had been designed for.

according to legend a mongolian general named wu zhu had lead jin forces against the song dynasty with considerable success. his main weapon that helped lead to many victories was the guai zi ma. although the descrition is somewhat vauge it seems to have been a chariot that was heavily armored that carried armored troops.

the legendary general yue fei was responsible for enguaging wu zhu in battle. because his troops had to face the feared guai zi ma a strategy and two special weapons were developed. the first was a greased shield made of rattan (his army became known as rattan shield army for this). these shields would cause horses to slip if someone attempted to ride over them.

the second weapon became known as the double hook swords. they were used to attack the only weak point of the guai zi ma. the horses feet could not be armored. by using these weapons it became possible for yue fei and his rattan shield army to cut the legs of horses and using shields make them further slip thus disabling the chariot.

from what i gather this was a famous battle in chinese history and the legendary status of yue fei became solidified.