throws

Discussion in 'Judo' started by saikyou, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Yama Arashi (Yama Ashi translates as Mountain Leg :D )

2. saikyou

saikyou New Member

Speaking of Yama Arashi, what is your preferred right-hand grip?(assuming that your a right-handed person) thumb inside the lapel(similar to Saigo's grip) or the thumb out of the lapel grip? The proper way to do it is the thumb must be inside the lapel but i feel more comfortable if my thumb is outside.

3. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

For myself, I have lately been gripping the lapel w/ my fingers rolling the lapel into my palm, as receiving some throws w/ some people my thumb will get caught up in the lapel & I've already injured it twice doing other things.
    When doing throws though, I use the standard thumb inside lapel hold because the motion is almost always the same.

4. saikyou

saikyou New Member

I only apply that grip w/ Yama Arashi. I can't imagine how to do a morote seoinage w/ the thumb outside the lapel :)

I think I'll stick to the standard grips. :)

5. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

First, I use the standard grip when doing throws, I only alter my grip as Uke when receiving some throws.

Second, Yama Arashi is a completely diff. technique in Danzan Jujitsu than it is in Judo, but I know where your coming from. We can open that can of worms if you want to compare techniques.

Last, for Morote, we roll the knuckles into the lapel from a standard grip as the elbow swings across so that the back of the hand faces Uke's chin creating a strong wrist. Too many people do that throw with the palm facing Uke's chin which is weak wristed and could tweek your wrist.

Take Care:
    DavidM

Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  6. Jim

Jim New Member

Thumb inside for me...

7. saikyou

saikyou New Member

Correct. That is a very sharp wrist angle and must be corrected.

8. saikyou

saikyou New Member

Sure! Interesting! :) Please give the difference. Thanks in advance.

9. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

my fave throws would be uchi mata and tomoe nage. I also like osoto gari as well. as for submissions, hadaka jime, okuri eri jime and juji gatame are my faves