throwing too hard

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by faster than you, Jun 1, 2005.

1. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i train in bjj and recently we have been working standing grappling much more than usual on its own and in combiantion with rolling. however, my coach beraited me for putting too much force into my throws during sparring. some of the people were having trouble breathing after being thrown. now i feel uncomfortable in practice and have resorted to mostly countering by sprawling then mounting, submitting, or taking the back. by the way, the countering is working well.
    how can i practice my throws gently? is there anything i can do from a technical standpoint?

2. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

The more strength you have, the easier it is to control a person while throwing them during sparring. But i think that your instructor should lighten up personally, if students want to complain about having the wind knocked out of them a few times, they shouldnt be practicing bjj. Can you try and throw them with more control? Once you get them loaded, dont whip them at the ground, rather guide them down with alittle less power, that might help, of course its hard i know, becuase you dont want to sacrifice speed which could mess up the whole move sometimes, but just practice that and see what happens, or have you asked your instructor what he thinks you should do to help? If he's gonna whine about it then maybe he should explain a better way.

3. faster than you

i'll work on, "guiding," but that is difficult to acomplish especially when the other guy is trying his hardest to not be thrown.

4. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

I know thats why i was skeptical to even suggest it... Really all i can say is dont worry about it, like i said if there complaining then they shouldnt be in the class and they should go play golf or something.. Dont let it make you uncomfortable, just because your not a wimp and some of your classmates are, doesnt mean you should stop practicing to your fullest.

5. Dropbear

Dropbear Valued Member

I don't think I'd like to train in a Dojo with this much attidude or disrespect flying around...

6. Kimura

Kimura New Member

i feel when you are practicing the technique you dont throw your partner as hard as you can inless they tell you themselves they can take it. throwing them full blast while practicing will just hurt people and as a result will not be able to train for a while. so my advice would be to chill out and inless they say they can take it. and usually only advanced students will start rolling standing up and in that case they should be able to take a throw and then you can go all out. but as for just ignoring the warning by the instructor i would not recommend that. and to practice to your fullest doesnt mean u have to turn training into a blood sport thats why its called training but once u enter the ring feel free to rip their head off :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  7. faster than you

i'm not planning to go crazy since i don't want to be thrown out or injure people who can't take a good ippon. i'll just stick to the countering and the very measured throws unless i'm going against a more seasoned opponent.

8. Fu Man

Fu Man Valued Member

Does your BJJ school work on breakfalls often?

If people do not know how to breakfall properly or do not work on breakfalls often, taking hard throws can be very difficult.

9. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

I don't think I'd like to train in a Dojo with this much attidude or disrespect flying around...

Well dont then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2005
  10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Albert: If you don't have anything constructive and inoffensive to post, then don't bother. Yes, that was a mod warning, not just a suggestion froma member.

As for training, you need to slow the throws down to the point where you're doing them as slowly as possible, and train them at that speed for a while. It's much easier to throw someone fast than controlled, and the only way to really learn control is at slower speeds, even though this is probably contrary to a lot of "aliveness" guys.