thoughts on this video (warning CHI)

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by airweaver, Apr 25, 2008.

1. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XSnUDkCQ0WU[/ame]

2. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

I love that technique I use it all the time! Just like in the movies!

Nawwwwww its a bunch a bull crap

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Gives me hope when young guys are not taken in by this junk.

regards koyo

4. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

It's laughable pish. Pure nonsense with no value.

5. koyo

Makes me wonder why this was posted at all. If anyone comes on and says they are impressed they will be laughed off the thread.

regards koyo

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

It's a shame, the music on there is the same as on a very good taiji dvd that I own :(

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Anyone who buys into this sort of garbage gets exactly what they deserve. They're getting bent over. Seriously.

It's the grandest form of cult of personality worship. Oh let me see... the aged and wise old Asian master who has developed powers so far beyond that of mere mortals.

My ass.:rolleyes:

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

How come we hardly ever see videos of these masters demonstrating against untrained members of the public?

Grand Master: *Gentle shove*
    Volunteer: *Doesn't move*

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I believe!:Angel:

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I have a student(in my Muay Thai class) that has studied Tai chi for around 5 years,
    as a trick after class when we are standing around i ask him to push/move the other guys from the group,
    he can place his hands against the guys of all sizes and shapes(even a 120kg guy)and without looking like he moves he can push them a fair way,
    he does this without any effort and is very relaxed,it really is hard to see much movement from him and he never fails to move them,sometimes 10 feet away,
    so with this in mind perhaps there is more to the vid than meets the eye?,dont shout at me guys its just a thought!:)

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah I've seen guys who've studied Tai Chi do some impressive things... but by and large most of the demo vids that get put out look similar to Dragon Ball Z. But there are guys out there who take the principles and can generate some impressive power with it. Note.. they're generally not the ones on forums running on about the power of chi. :p

12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Yeah,my student explains how he is doing what he does,im not so sharp to understand it fully but it is not and nor does my student say it is anything to do with chi:)

13. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Ahh the hopping frog technique closely coupled with the "when he points I run in that direction" technique... one of the "students" in that clip is even more embarrassing than the others, he doesnt even try to make it look authentic... sheesh...

14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

*sigh*
    Why do the young fools follow these clowns?

The Bear.

15. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

George Lucas and his damn Star Wars! :)

16. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

What's truly awful is that Huang was actually a high level practitioner.And supposedly a good White Crane fighter before his defeat at Cheng's hands.

It's no big deal for a good TC guy in the context of push hands to be able to catch a person's angle and down them.

But his guys don't even try.Overawed.It's one thing to go with the force, but...

Asian Journal of MA had a good history article a some years back on CMC's TC in Malaysia, felt it was very objective in its observation and comments on the three lines there, including Huang's.

airweaver-please don't show the Huang vs pro wrestler film.

Or one will wonder at the caliber of pro wrestlers in Asia in the 70s!

17. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

C'mon I'll bite. The man was a genius and nothing you see is fake. His students don't look like they are trying because they don't get the chance to. Just like if anyone of you got into the ring with Tyson in his prime - you could try all you liked but you'd still look a chump. I know everyone gets mad when this is said but hey I can only speak the truth as I see it. You cannot make a reasonable assessment of what is happening here because you haven't got a clue how it is being done. So you just presume it is trickery. Just as caveman would presume a lighter was magic. What made Huang so good was that at this stage he had been training in martial arts for over 70 years. I have trained with some of the people in this video and they could do the same to me before I had any concept that this was possible. I didn't fly off them because i thought I should or because I wanted them to look good. I just flew off them. And for what it's worth, they don't claim that this is a result of Qi! That is just another of your assumptions. For you people who train Taiji and have not experienced this, I say don't settle for what you have. Seek out those that understand this method and see for yourselves. Or of course, you could just sit in front of your computer slagging off people you have never met. It's like watching a video of Fedor and saying "I'd like to see him try that on me." Just stunning, meaningless posturing!!!

18. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

It is clearly theatrics. The man is nothing more than a charlatan. Telling us to seek out someone who has this is a moot point. Some of us have tried, though we have never found one as they don't exist. All we find are liars and fools.

19. koyo

Maybe some guys so want to believe and try so hard to find "it" that they are vulnerable to these con men. Bottom line for me is ..if it works ON me it works FOR me.

I haven't seen anything that can't be explained by proper body positioring and unbalancing.

Or in the case of that video ...just con.

regards koyo

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  20. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Where should I go to meet the people who can do this? Are there any in the UK?