Thoughts on double promotion

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by ChrisBD, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

When I took up TKD with UKTA at Uni I had 5 years training in Shotokan and was shodan but didn't get a transfer. Wasn't the only one though. L Stance and Walking Stance are a little different in weight proportions, the main difference was the sine wave movement in techniques

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Man this guy has more "just one more things" than Columbo.

3. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Hey! That is how Columbo solved stuff. Don't mess with Columbo or I'll be 'coming for you'. :D

The Orange Belt sounds like a fine thing. We do it with a white belt that has 'TRANSFER' written on it and they train with that until they are ready to test in at whatever level they are coming in at. Note this may be a year plus of training. And people don't seem to mind. They are more interested in the work out than what level they'll come in at.

4. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

I train ITF Tkd.

Belts were always fun to me so i asked instructor not to bother me to much with all of them. I believe they are just for childrens to motivate them, it's silly with adults.

However i weared white belt for 6 months, then tested for green. I weared green another 6 months and then i was tested for blue. I weared blue 5 months and then i was tested for 1st dan.

Means it took me 17 months to BB. But then i trained really much, so my total hours in that 17 months were about triple more then i needed to be allowed to go testing fo 1st dan.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Great

That is perhaps your martial art maturity in effect rather than "belt hunting"

6. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

17 months to BB:jawdrop:

7. 47MartialMan

You just lowered my opinion about you. :fight3::liar::thinking::whistleblower:

8. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Oh god. When I first read the thread title I thought it said double penetration :0

9. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Okay, just read the whole thread, sheesh!
    Back on track- I'm with Stu, no to double gradings, except, maybe at very low levels. The reasons are simple, they're demotivating for other students, particularly those the said student has 'passed by'. Also, i don't believe it is (for most people) possible to know more than one gradings worth of material sufficiently for testing, unless your syllabus is very small or very simple.
    Forgive me if you've heard this before from me, but 'remembering' a form (for example) is not the same as 'knowing' it.
    I have a friend who has just started training at our club, he did some Goju as a child and has done a lot of fencing. Some of his skills are still good, even though he is less flexible and a little out of shape. After a couple of training sessions he said 'I know Kihon kata now, i want to learn the next one'. He showed me his kata and later he was graded on it and passed. He has no idea about the applications or hidden techniques within the kata, as far as he is concerned it simply consists of a string of basic blocks, turns and punches. He doesn't know the kata, he just remembers the sequence.
    Now, i'm not the world's greatest Karateka and i don't expect beginners to know it all, but it seems to me that the emphasis in a lot of clubs (including the one i attend) is on breadth (remembering lots of stuff) and not on depth (knowing a kata, any Kata, inside out, form, posture, application etc and being able to demonstrate that knowledge).
    I'm not a 'Sensei', i sometimes help with teaching other students basic techniques, Kata etc. I am an educationalist in real life, i understand a lot of the mechanics of teaching and learning. I look at some of my fellow students and am quite shocked at how bad their basics are.
    The contents and timetable in our syllabus, is, imho, a minimum, not a maximum.
    A belt is an indication of the knowledge you have of that art and is not transferable, to, or from, any other style. I simply wouldn't have any student wearing a belt i don't think they deserve. But this is not my call, not yet.

Maybe when i get my own club, i'll find my views tempered, time will tell.

10. 47MartialMan

Now I know where your mind is at

11. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

so thats really a yes arthur in exceptional circumstances?

in this senerio a grade is awarded to a knowlegble student after hes spent some time training in the club and learning there new arts sylabus.......lets say a BB from the ITF moves to an area where he can only train in WTF! how demotivating is that to all the other kup grade students in the club who cant quite manage the jump reverse hooking kick said student demonstrates with ease in his shiney white belt?

regards kamau

12. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Oh man. Cracked me up!!!! :D