Thoughts on double promotion

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by ChrisBD, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ElephantsMemory

ElephantsMemory Banned Banned

LOL I really couldn't care less.:D

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You're an obvious agenda troll. Goodbye.

Mitch

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

BOOOO. I like people like that. Makes MAP a bit more lively. :)

4. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Just search 'Mas L' or 'MasL' here and all is revealed :)

Its 'pale-rider' over at Bullshido and numerous others elseware, but Mas L is the one based on his 'real' name.

Okay... so back to the topic. Double grades... nope :)

Stuart

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Man Stu....what have you done to annoy the "Missouri Association of School Librarians"?
    Taken a book back late? :)

6. StuartA

Not search in :google: lol.. search here!

According to his posts at the forum I help moderate (of which he is banned too, despite coming back with multiple profiles), its because I called him a troll way back in 2009 (wonder why!) when his name was mentioned in a thread that remembered an older, non-moderated forum... though I`m sure it goes back futher than that.. can't quite remember why TBH (I did have a guess last time he popped up, but apparently it wasnt the case according to him), so I dunno really.. he may have an elephants memory.. but to me, he's quite forgettable until he pops up again with his poison posts of venom... which is usually short lived.

Personally, I think he just has the hots for me, as he keeps following me around various forums :(

Stuart

7. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Girls used to do stuff like that at school when they had the hots for a guy.

8. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

I dont see any point reposting what iv already said so im slightly bemused why you would prompt me to respond because youve found a common alliance with another member:D

9. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Sorry guys. I dropped the ball! This forum had been so peaceful and I was traveling for work.

I will give my thoughts. I have been in favor of transfer belts but I never liked the 'because of your outstanding performance promote again next month'. One of the main reasons is because it usually rewards natural talent rather than hard work.

Transfer belts, however, are the equivalent of transferring credits when switching universities and it makes sense to me.

10. Mitch

There's no valid criticism of you in any of this Aaron. Normal people have normal lives and MAP is a part of a hobby, a part which some people accept as a duty, for no reward whatsoever other than hoping to enthuse and help others with similar interests.

The TKD forum is lucky to have someone like you as a Mod.

Mitch

11. Taizu

Taizu Valued Member

I just thought you may have had more to say on the subject after StuartA's posts(and since our own discussion had concluded). I asked you since you were the only one promoting the other side of the discussion. 'Alliance' is unnecessary. I've no interest in ganging up on one side of the debate like that, its pointless and just inflates ego.

Thanks for your input/replies up to this point though, it made me question my own view point on the subject.(always constructive) :)

12. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

id read the whole thread again Taizu, youve missed a lot of other ppl who think it as merit for varied reasons, as iv already said its not that regular, the 2 young kids I refered to earlier where the first in 2 years.

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

14. StuartA

Chuckle :)

Thats a good point and often, people with natural talent miss out key components when they need to transfer skills onwards (ie. help teach). More so however, is that there are other ways to rewards a 'good' grading, rather than giving something to someone who hasnt done what is physically required for, despite the fact they may be 'ace' and possibly may or may not be able to - fact is, at that stage they havnt learned the material.

Stuart

15. aaron_mag

A transfer can train for quite some time before they 'rank in'. But if a guy has six years of shotokan, for example, much of his skills directly transfer. Ranking him as a white and having him start over is frustrating for the transfer and the other students I have found ( because they can't understand why the other 'new guy' is picking it up so much faster. Hence the transfer...

16. 47MartialMan

OK. Understood.

However, the transfer for the new guy or skipped ranker can be as frustrating in another prospective.

Hence, sometime ago, I have been in these scenarios:

A new-prospective student came in and was from another school which had closed.

He wanted to retain his belt-rank.

As usual, I tell these pre-martial art new-prospective students, that I have to evaluate their ability. They usually get somewhat anxious, but this passes once they start performing. If they are close to the same rank per "ability" as my curriculum-standards, I allow them to retain their rank.

Anyway, this one particular new-prospective student could not perform a front kick. I told him we need to work on that kick and that we will start if we had to do 1,000 kicks per week each leg.

He had stated that he had a medical problem with a knee. Upon inquiring the problem and which knee, I then changed my statement and told him will start and had to do 2,000 kicks per week on the "good" leg.

Surprised, he retorted with another statement that his previous instructor did not let him do this. That his previous instructor let him by-pass that kick, and other things.

After more discussion, his previous instructor awarded passing rank mainly on Kata, but not on ability, per on movement retention. I.E. knowing what move was in the sequence.

I told him although we do Kata-Forms, it is not the main focus for passing a rank at my school. I told him that I do not "give" out ranks, and that my black belters, better be able to use anything at their disposal in a fight-self defense, no matter what their "handicap". He was appalled to the word "fight" (completely ignoring the words self- defense), as he wanted to train in martial arts, but did not like the idea of fighting and did not like sparring either.

He left the premises in disgust. His rank was more important than developing his ability.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

By far the best resolution I've seen to accomodate to someone coming in from another martial art is what's done in Enshin.
    They have an (orange) belt that is not part of the grading structure. So someone coming in from outside the syllabus can wear it to show that they know "something" so are not out-and-out white belts but are also not ranked in Enshin either.
    The perfect solution I think.
    Then they are free to train, get up to speed with the material and grade accordingly when ready.

18. aaron_mag

47Martialman- what you said makes sense to me. Ability comes into it. Sometimes the transfer doesn't even tell you of their previous experience. You can just 'tell' based on their good technique.

19. 47MartialMan

What if they new arival held a rank, say brown from some where else. Would you still let them wear a orange? How do you think they would feel degraded?

20. Mitch

I'm a Dan grade in TKD and train Enshin as an orange belt. I don't feel degraded by that at all. I think it's an excellent system. :)

Mitch