Thought of the Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ero-Sennin, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If you thought that is a natural by-product of that world view then I dunno what to say!
    All those bad babies that need looking after all the damn time!

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

You’ve no idea how accurate that quote is for me at the minute.

3. bassai

This seems unnecessarily confrontational to me , people don’t choose to be paraplegic.

Simon likes this.
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I agree. that post didn't need to be edited.

And what a horrible word burden is.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I agree which means, saying only people who take care of people are good, is a terrible thing to say.

6. bassai

Your obviously reading that quote very differently than the rest of us.

Simon likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

"A good person takes care of themsevles so they aren't a burden to others, and helps take care of others when they are not able to take care of themselves. It's a rotation, not a permeant status in life. We will all need help at some point, and we will all need to be strong for others too.
    "

Perhaps, I used to work with a people that had been put into institutions by their family due to disabilities.

So maybe I look at the consequences labeling people who need to be looked after as not being good, more then the average person.

Being strong so we can look after the weak, is an excellent goal in life, but it's not the only metric we can measure the good in people.

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I've known a few paraplegic people who have looked after others, some professionally.

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It also presupposes that "looking after" is a physical act, when it can take many forms.

bassai likes this.
  10. bassai

Unfortunately I’ve come across this myself , but I like to think it’s becoming increasingly rare
    I’d agree , which is why your use of the word “burden” jarred so much

Let me put it another way , looking after people in need doesn’t necessarily make you a good person , but , not helping someone that obviously needs it when you can does make you kind of a bad person.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

It's a direct quote:

"A good person takes care of themsevles so they aren't a burden to others"

I've known people who committed suicide because they thought that they were a burden to others, it's a really bad thing that is unfortunately a common thought process.

We need to not be reinforcing that type of thinking.

12. bassai

I think we’re broadly in agreement here , to clarify , it was implication that paraplegic people could be considered a burden that struck me.

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Thankyou for saying what I said in a more expanded way?

Are you reading my full posts? lol

14. Ero-Sennin

There was more to the sentence than "being a burden." There are more ways to take care of people than physical ways (this whole online community is an example of that is it not?). There are many ways to be a burden, too. Regardless of how that makes one feel there are situations in which one is a burden to others, or a source of strength.

I try to keep rules/thingsIThinkIUnderstandAboutLife vague so they can be applied in different areas of my life when looking at things black and white is not beneficial for productivity in any way. I often do not attach the common emotional associations we have with words I use. I always try to use the best word to describe what I'm saying. For example, I have to explain what I mean by the use of the word "manipulate" to people in conversation quite often. You can manipulate things for good, you can manipulate things physically (the steering wheel to steer the car, for example). Most of the time though, the use of the word "manipulate" in today's pop culture is toxic relationships and being manipulative in ways that hurt people. You don't know this about my writing style, but now you do.

Accepting how you may be a burden can help you become "less heavy" for others, and help them carry you along better. My PTSD and mTBI stuff are burdens on my family and friends in some ways (as well as for me dangit!). When I accepted this in a healthy way, that I needed to let others help me so that I could get better, I was able to get better. And the people who helped me have already benefited from it, because I have a lot of strength too. Burdens make the people who carry them stronger (develop further as a person). We're always a mix of being a burden and strong enough to help others.

If I were to write what I said differently to relay what I wanted to say exactly it would be in the spirit of this:

Setting: Walking down a path towards a far off destination, you come upon a stranger carrying some baggage. You currently have nothing.

You: "Hey man! We seem to be going the same way as this road only leads to one place (death). You sure look like you're tired from carrying all that weight. Let me help you carry some of it until we get where we are going."

Him: "Thank god another person came along. I thought I was going to die struggling all alone walking this road."

The End.

Sometimes stories just say it all better, even if they're only a couple sentences.

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Ero-Sennin

I've been the person about to commit suicide.

What I've been sharing are some of the ways I've thought about things, influenced by different ways I've been coached to help think about things with the help of seeing a psychiatrist for the last 6 years.

Again, there was more behind that bit you quoted. You are taking me out of context. The entire post is one entity. None of it is meant to be read as a stand alone. The route you're going doesn't even make sense if you read the rest of the sentence that snippet is from.

bassai and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Dead_pool

^ completely, I was explaining where the burden word came from, in my own posts.

17. Ero-Sennin

It is certainly not the only metric we can use to measure the good in people. I can see how I could have been taken that way. It was not my intent. I think how you are responding with that understanding makes a lot more sense to me and I don't think we disagree at all actually.

I do think you're applying nuance that wasn't entirely relevant to the topic and is more academic in nature. Still important to do, but I don't think anyone was expecting it. : P

bassai and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Dead_pool

Yes, I'm just replying to the sections that I feel need replying to.

Just because an information is popular, it doesn't make it correct, and in fact very popular/old information is almost definitely incorrect.

Just find an old encyclopedia from the early 1900's and have a look.

19. Dead_pool

That's the good thing about people having low expectations!

20. Ero-Sennin

Well SOOOOORRRRRYYYYYYYY Lord of all Memes. Didn't know I was messing with a King of Meme's decree! xD xD xD

Gravity pulls you to the earth right?

Dead_pool likes this.