Thomas Mitose interview

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by KenpoDavid, Jan 20, 2005.

1. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Shihan Christopher Geary of Omaha Nebraska has just published a recent interview he conducted with Thomas Mitose, the son of James Mitose.

Thomas talks about his father and his relationship to himself and the other men who claim to be successors or masters in Kosho Ryu Kenpo - most notably Bruce Juchnik.

The entire article is up at www.kempokarate.com but here is a short exceprt:

-David

2. karshin

karshin New Member

I can't find the interview. How did you get to it?

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

David,

Is it possible to post the entire interview?

4. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

article availability

Teh webmaster ahs had some delay getting it posted, however Shihan Geary told me it will be up in the next couple of days, sorry about the early notice :/ He also made it very clear that I cold not post more than a couple of lines from it... so I shouldn't really post any more of it, sorry. Iw ill ask him exactly when it will beup and post back here.

-David

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Thanks for the update

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

7. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Jeezuz, what a dull read:

Geary: What about this
    Tom: Oh, I dunno, he never told anyone
    Geary: What about that
    Tom: No idea, he was aprivate guy
    Geary: What about this other thing
    Tom: Not sure, some people say this, others say that
    Geary: What about this and that
    Tom: I don't want to give bad info so I can say nothing
    ad nauseum...

WTF?

8. BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz New Member

I love diggin up bones.......lol

the interviewer's track record speaks for itself.........the interviewee......well......he had some sort of recall of super secret training from his father that never took place.

9. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Welcome to MAP. I hope all your posts are as positive and informative! :rolleyes:

10. BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz New Member

thats me......positive and informative!

11. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Look Shawn, considering that Bruce Juchnik says he became a Grand Master by talking to Mitose at a lunch table...I wouldn't exactly throw too many stones. At least Thomas trained with his dad while he was still a free man.

12. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Thomas and Mark Mitose have a school not far from me. Considering that the SF Bay Area has a long history with martial arts, I would think their school would be more in the publics eye.

Could all this stuff we here about people talking about the Mitose's be the reason why they keep such a low profile on their school?

13. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Either that or they just don't see the value in all the talking going on :cool:

14. BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz New Member

oh really.......when?

Dan, really.......most of the guys responsible for kempo derived arts in north america spent at least 5 or 6 months training before founding their own systems........thats almost a lifetime.

15. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

"Years passed and Thomas Mitose grew into a young man who left the islands to seek his fortune in life. Settling in the San Francisco area, Thomas became interested in the art of Kajukenbo, his instructor being Mr. Joe Halbuna.
    It was at the age of twenty that a relative of a close friend informed Thomas that his true father was residing in Los Angeles, California. It was just a short time later that Thomas would take off and meet his true father. Meeting his father has been described as a heart felt and emotional reunion. With father and son reunited, Thomas commenced his training under his father, the 21st Great Grandmaster of Kosho Ryu Kenpo.
    Thomas eagerly absorbed the knowledge of the family's art in all aspects of the philosophies and techniques, as handed down from generation to generation. Constantly sharpening his skills and understanding of the concepts that make the art one of the most thorough martial arts of today.
    Unfortunately, again father and son would separate, this from a personal family matter. It was not until James Mitose was imprisoned at Folsom State Penitentiary that father and son would reunite putting differences aside. Thomas in visiting, with his father, would discuss the future of Kosho Ryu. James would talk of coming out of retirement and with Thomas open a school to teach the family art of Kosho Ryu again."

I Think Villari had at least 4 years :)

16. BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz New Member

puhlease......that story is bull.......and what the hell would it matter in your eyes anyway.......you think James Mitose was full of crap, so all the training in the world for thomas is just going to mean training in crap.

Wow, Villari was a regular prodigy.

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Pretty distorted Dan but I am only on the side lines

Dan,

Villari, Who is he to say that?
    Where did he get that Bio or thought pattern.

It is distorted, one of the reasons I had given you a phone number and location not 30 minuttes from you of Hanshi Juchnik, when was it 2 or 3 weeks ago and now you are at it again.

You missed your chance so you aren't right to do this I believe. You could have done an interview everything, I set it up, and you would rather do it this way, LOL.

I mention Eugene Sedeno, you could talk to him. I mention Ray Arquilla, you could talk to him, John Tieman on SJK mentioned it a few months back where were you then?

You choose not to do the interview. Now since I notice the Chow Memorial that is coming up, I understand better.

The Gathering at a location in Sacramento is being held this weekend, Fri eve Sat and Sun. Why not go I believe it is going to be discussed there. Many are in attendance some big names in the industry. You could do that.

Now we are into it over Hanshi Juchnik, again I'll say, stay tuned guys and girls.
    You could go to the MACS site just google it. All the information is there.

October 7 and 8...In the year of this debate.

Regards, Gary

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  18. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Evidence Please?

Hey, whatever. I do indeed have my opinions of Mitose, but I'm not a Kosho Ryu student either throwing stones in a glass house. You, on the other hand, ARE a Kosho student of Juchnik. I don't think his story is any more credible than Thomas Mitose's.

LOL

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  19. BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz New Member

where is the supporting evidence?

man, this is like a ping pong match.......

20. BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz New Member

I just about fell over when i read that, Gary.......kinda reminds me of "if the glove does not fit you must acquit".....lol