This man needs help (US VET)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by SickDevildog, Dec 3, 2009.

1. old palden

old palden Valued Member

As someone else has posted, the flag is not the issue, it's the flag pole.

I'm confident that he can display his flag in a manner that doesn't violate the HOA covenants.

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

The homeowners association contains no provisions on flagpoles. Their decision is based on "aesthetics". Really? A flagpole is going to reduce neighbors property value? Give me a break.

He's displaying the flag as it is meant to be displayed. Most people aren't ambitious enough to go through the time and expense to fly the flag with the honor and respect it deserves. He's doing the right thing and catching flak from some petty, ungrateful, pains in the ****.

Give 'em hell, Col.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

double posts, deleted

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In the past 8 years, every morning I would face north (I live in Texas) and dropped my knee and put my head on the ground and bowed to the direction of the white house. I then said, "Long live GWB!" 3 times. Today the only difference is I will say, "Long live Barack Obama!" instead.

IMO, this is true patriotism!

5. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

6. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

ITN: Homeowner's Association is jerks.

Anything new?

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Only if he's firing the cannon at the Welsh! :evil: ;)

8. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

As mentioned before, this is not the first time this kind of thing has come up with HOA's in this country. Regarding the previously posted law; it is accurate. Unfortunatly, I bet that the HOA is not going after the flag itself but the pole and general method of how it is being displayed (as others have stated). I.E. the HOA has specific guide lines on the construction of the pole including height, color, width of the base, material of the base, etc. Sadly it is legal for the HOA to enforce a rule like this. If the colonel would remove his current pole and erect a new one in accordance with the HOA rules, this would be a non issue.

Now, that being said. It is complete and udder cow excrement (pun intended) that HOA's are allowed to pull this crap. The man just wants to display the flag that he risked life and limb in order to protect that which it represents. I'm sure his current set up is very tasteful and respectful and I would bet that the only one that is having an issue with it is one of the board members that has a stick up their rear end.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I wasn't aware that you were a licensed realtor.

Until we know more about the set up, it is not possible to say he is doing the 'right thing'. I would be amazed if it turned out to be a bog standard, clean, appropriately sized flagpole - I just dont see a HOA having a huge problem with that? But even if that is the case, if he agreed to obey the regulations of the HOA when he moved in, and those regulations included clauses relating to flagpoles or other such structures, then he should follow those rules and not flout his war hero status in an attempt to get special treatment.

I still think there's more to this than we are being told. This kind of dispute does not tend to end up in court as a first resort.

EDIT: I just found a story that claims the flagpole is only 21ft tall.

10. bcullen

I researched the story before I posted, but I was pretty sure from the start. There are actually a number of regulations pertaining to proper display of the flag. Being that he is former military I could assume he is also familiar with the requirments and would be in compliance.

11. old palden

old palden Valued Member

You could assume a lot of things.....
    but assumptions are good ways to be wrong.

12. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

13. bcullen

In this case it proved true and was more of a well educated postulation. A soldier of any country recognizes the symbolism and sacrifice behind his nations colors. To display them without due reverance is unthinkable to him.

14. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Only????

That's the height of your standard 2 storey house. While I commend and applaud the gentleman to want to fly the flag, that size pole is a tad excessive for a front lawn.

15. holyheadjch

I was imagining a 100ft behemoth.

16. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Its disgusting the way he is being treated, people should understand what he went through to still be able to fly the flag in his own country and the fact that people like him are the reason your country is so great. We have the same problem in the UK, the PC brigade don't like us being patriotic as it upsets all the immigrants!!! How can you offend someone from another country by flying the flag of the country they are in!!!! I'd like to see someone go to Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan and ask them to take down their national flags as they are offensive to foreigners!!!! I bet they wouldn't get out of the building alive!!!

17. holyheadjch

You're right, it's disgusting that a war hero is being expected to honour a set of terms and conditions that he agreed to abide by (I assume he agreed to abide by those conditions, otherwise what legal action could the HOA take against him?)
    Are you concussed? When has a person been banned from displaying the Union Jack or the Cross of St. George or the Saltire or the Welsh dragon or the Green, White and Gold of Ireland in the UK? When?
    I'd like to see someone do that in this country.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

duplicate posts, deleted

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you

- believe in God, you don't have to tell others.
    - love your country; you don't have to raise a flag pole in front of your house.

The patriotism is by doing and not by saying.

20. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member