This looks Very dangerous

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by craigwarren, Mar 26, 2003.

1. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

I just cuaght some mauy thai on channel 5 and it looks REALLY bad. In the fight i saw within 4 mins both fighters had 2 black eyes, one had a cut eye. The ammount of damage they where taking was unbelieveable. Is this safe surely they are gonna take ages to recover from fights?

Isn't this far to dangerous. I do Tae Kwon Do, and we don't do full contact because of the dangers involved, we also wear a LOT more protective gear.

Are there many problems assossiated with mauy thai that are also assissiated with normal boxing... to be honest im thinking about Ali and how much damage boxing did to him, is this the kind of problems that a mauy thai practitioner can expect?

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

In Ali's own words; 'Parkinsons has nothing to do with boxing'

Muay Thai is voluntary, and anything you see on TV is tame by comparison with what you might see in Thailand.

The very fact that it is restricted, and fought out, refereed, judged by people with poor understanding of the art is what leads to the injuries you mention.

Same in boxing, bad refereeing and promotion are a major cause of injury (i.e headbutter vs earbiter, I mean Holyfield vs Lewis). Badly matched and monitored fights cause injury.

By all means discuss the topic, but leave Ali out of it!

"Isn't this far to dangerous. I do Tae Kwon Do, and we don't do full contact because of the dangers involved"

Live a little!

3. stump

stump Supersub

nobody gets in a Muay Thai ring who doesn't want to be there. The vast majority of instructors who will put a fighter into a bout will also ensure they are prepared for it adequately. It is tough and it's not for everyone but it's a fantastic sport

I saw those fights last night and while they weren't bad fights they weren't brutal in my book. I take it you've never seen vale tudo? I'd recommend you check it out (UFC or Pride videos). You mightn't like or enjoy them but they are an experience and might redefine how you think about your martial arts....and that's always a good thing

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

You know when people claim to constantly train full contact, then you watch some of these MT fights. You know something doesn't add up! :D

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

LoL Pgm...
    well i agree with Andy wholeheartedly for the first time i suppose :D
    -TkdWarrior-

6. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Craig, ANY contact sport is dangerous.

Don't single out Thai Boxing based on one nights viewing.

I'm sure all the guys here are able to recount stories of horrible beatings and poor controlling bodies.

Plus why do you think they showed that fight?

Because that's what your ordinary JOe want's to see. Let's face it a technically brilliant fight or a one shot knockout is not what the baying crowd wants to see is it?

Blood = Ratings

Look at Pro-Wrestling and the popularity of the "Hardcore" culture

7. craigwarren

I understand these are athletes and they knew what they are doing. I can alos see why its a popular spectator sport, What im asking is "IS this sport as dangerous as it looks" also how long will these fighters need to recover from the fight?

8. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Depends on your definition of recover.

Plus I'd like to point out the following

1) YOU do UKTA/ITF TKD

2) YOU do not practise full contact sparring because you are a 9th Kup

3) YOU wear a lot more protective equipment due to

- The Uni sports union insurance requirements since we have no acceptable mats

- Again you are a beginner so not only for your safety but your opponents

- The classes you attend are regular sparring classes. Go to a squad training class or even one of the sunday classes when we let it all hang out.

I think here your showing a little inexperience.

Go to our website, view the gallery, ask Jim, Tim and Cat how thier faces got like that. :D

Then make a decision about whether SPARRING (any art) can be dangerous.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  9. craigwarren

um... inexperiance. I am inexperianced ofcourse im gonna show it. I've seen cat and jim's faces after those fights, i did knida wonder how they got like that with the safty gear and i do try to go to all the tae kwon do classes, but weekends are when i work so what can i do.

10. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Safety Gear

Safety gear is to avoid attacking tools hitting the target.

Doesn't mean that because it's soft when you press it doesn't mean when it connects at 30 mph it's soft

"Weekends when I work so what do I do?"

For a start you could think before making arrogant statements about TKD or any sparring when you have little experience of it.

I'm not saying your wrong to ask questions or be inexperienced just look outside your window before telling everyone what the weather is.

11. craigwarren

:( I suppose i should say im sorry if i've said something wrong. All i wanted to do was get more information about this style which i saw for the first time yesterday. I didnt mean to make an wider statements in comparison with taekwon do especially, but i can only compare it with what i have seen and done, there are very small limits on my experiance and the only way i was gonna learn more about this style was to let people know my view, and let them give me more information and tell me about problems in my views.

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey Tosh u r coming hard on that dude... ok chill buds...
    he just asked others opinions...
    talking about full contact, yes it gets only dirty n nasty, doens't matter wat art u r studying... be it TKD/KF/MT...
    my teacher puts his students in almost full contact sparring in couple of months...so that they can get the taste of it, because it only gets nasty over that...
    so just chill n don't worry about that...
    the way Tosh sounded, it looks like he's ur senior... i think before putting any questions elsewhere one should try to put those question in front of his teacher or else seniors, if u can't get the answers then u hav MAP and other resources to look for...

-TkdWarrior-

13. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I'm not trying to be hard on you Craig.
    I just hate when people gives views first ask questions later.

By all means ask questions but wait for the info before providing a perhaps misguided viewpoint.

Hey, I'm guilty of it all the time :D

Just trying to stop you getting in bad habits!

Plus the fact I'm still in Uni working when it's sunny and I haven't trained for 3 weeks now.......

Grrrrrrrr, i've got World Champs to train for you know!!!

Tell you what Craig! Want to me my first patner when we get back???

He he only kidding!

Rant over!

14. stump

stump Supersub

Hey tosh....chill mate. Craig only asked a question.

Craig, TKD is only a small part of the martial arts world...there's a hell of a lot more out there....some better, some worse and some just plain wierd.

Don't be afraid to ask questions of anyone here on any art or subject you want to know more about, you may get directed somewhere else for an answer but you should find one nonetheless.

15. craigwarren

I know what you mean about being frustrated... with no training on this week, i've had far too much time on my hands with the holidays from uni. So much so that im gonna be dropping in at my old club for a few training sessions to stop me from going mad with boredom.

Ps note the direct relationship between how bored i am and how often i am posting.

16. Cain

Cain New Member

[TROLL]

*cough* Err.....*cough*

CKD :D

[/TROLL]

BTW safety gear does'nt make that much of a difference, it still draws blood, some people will even cheat for eg instead of hitting with the glove while throwing a backfist, they will hit with their forearm or wrist instead

|Cain|

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

LoL@Cain.
    -TkdWarrior-

18. Rob Wyatt

Rob Wyatt New Member

Generaly if it is a pro thai fight they usually take 1 week off until they start training again, unless they take a lot of damage then they take 2 weeks. Muay Thai is defenetly the most brutal ring sport and that is probably why people love it so much.

19. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

I thought Spin the Bottle with ugly fat broads was a brutal ring sport...

20. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

nicolo is unfortunately correct.

"BTW safety gear does'nt make that much of a difference, it still draws blood, some people will even cheat for eg instead of hitting with the glove while throwing a backfist, they will hit with their forearm or wrist instead"

Actually, in Muay Thai, this is SOP (standard operating procedure). This is one of the reasons why I love MT so much! Its fighting, pure and simple. We're not restricted to hitting with the knuckle of the gloves. In fact, we specifically train in how to hit with the portions of your hand, wrist, and forearm which have little to no glove protection for maximum damage!!!!

My current coach, Bumrung Prawatsrichai, actually KO'ed the legendary Diesel Noi in the early 70's with an overhand punch that struck with the wrist rather than the padded knuckles. (Diesel Noi had not yet become the devastating fighter he was in later years, though.....)

Khun Kao