This isn't the same video Mr. Martinez posted, but I would like to hear your opinion.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by onpoint, Oct 20, 2011.

1. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

For the sake of civilized discussion...

It is my experience that not many, if any, really practice the pekiti disarma portion of the doce methodos curricullum.

Tim doesn't like the labo action of the sagang labo / labo sagang methodo.

Because most don't practice the pekiti disarma methodo and relegated the sagang labo / labo sagang to only the use of the sagang portion a lot of "corto" action are not being practiced as seen in the drills of McGrath (the section where they were wearing black).

Nothing has been lost as you say, it's just not in the mainstream.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

You're a little sensitive. Develop a thicker skin young man. I'm done with you.

3. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Jesuscrist, bro! You could've started with that and saved us all 4 pages of none sense.

If Tim's not into this, are there other Tuhons that still continue or focus on corto techniques?

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, people who wear Tapout are so overly sensitive it's despicable. /me spits.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Awww I'm so sorry...here have a make-up present

[​IMG]

6. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

PTK...the _ing __un of Kali.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Nice to see the PTK brigade continuing to impress. :rolleyes:

You know just shooting yourself would be quicker and far less embarrassing.

8. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

I see.

I haven't hid the fact that I'm no big fan of GT Gaje. But I am a big fan of FMA in general.

The corto techniques are what makes FMA, FMA. Much has been lost from Italy, France, Spain and England, but we kept it. It'd be a damn shame if we lost stuff just to satiate a propaganda.

So, if it's not in the mainstream, is it because it's being hidden or just not too many people care for it? Because in the case of Tim's videos, it looks really sill when they close in and basically freeze then disengage.

Thanks for the switch to civilized discussion.;)

If you and Hannibal continue your flirting that's your business.:love:

9. Hannibal

Hands off - I saw him first!

10. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

Okay to continue informative discussion...

I think its just difficult and takes a lot more time to learn to actually pull off in real time. There's a training methodology for it, but first you have to get someone to the point of being able to use the other methodos. If they can't even flow with five attacks, dakup y punyo, and panastas sungkete there's no point working on pekiti pekiti, they won't even get there in a real fight.

The videos you're critiquing of Tim is just the very basic flow of five attacks contact contradas. It's an introductory level video. It doesn't even have Panastas Sungkete as in the McGrath video. It's very basic and that's part of the reason there are pauses and disengagements and that's done to continue the play, to put more time to work bridging on contact or contradas.

11. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Yeah, but that's where the sophistication is in FMA at the corto range. Whether it's done well or not, is another story, but it should remain. You can train a monkey to swing 1s and 2s all day.

I can understand proprietary issues, if only the basic is shown to the public, that's fine. But keep in mind your name sake, Pekiti=Dekit to close with, Tirsia is to cut, you see the irony here when it's not shown even in your most basic videos presented.

But your explanation sheds a lot of light here, thanks. I would say your explanation and my theory are complimentary, not exclusive. You say difficult, I say it's the propaganda dictating training.

12. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

god like. Lol.

I've got quite a few. Do you really want me to list them? It will take a few pages. And more on the way pretty soon. Try searching YouTube.

While we're at it and if we're on the you show me yours kind of thing. I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;)

13. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

That's not correct and your understanding of the meaning of Pekiti Tirsia needs an upgrade.

14. Pat OMalley

no one is Behond reproach or question not even me but ok you want to see some sparring well here's one from here's one from nearly 18 years ago. I think I've improved a little since then ;)

http://youtu.be/z6kgr7yekLA

Now where's yours ;)

15. Hannibal

He lacks the courage to show himself or he would have done so already

16. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Tierce=Tirsia, to cut

Pekiti=I'm gonna have to agree with Nene Tortal, the closes meaning is showing the bottom of your bottom eye lid, Dekit=to close with.

Either way, you weren't suppose to be a largo school, but a corto school, somehow people changed it because it's too "difficult" to learn corto OR to fit the blade culture propaganda.

Unless you have a better definition of Pekiti Tirsia, based on Ilongo, I'll go with Nene Tortal's.:D

17. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

I don't think you understand the meaning of the ranges. You need an upgrade on that as well. I do have a better definition than what nene provides.

18. Pat OMalley

Funny when I trained in PTK I was told it basically meant close quarter and yes did quite a bit of that. Or have they decided to change this meaning too???

Pekiti-Tirsia basically means "close quartering." Pekiti in the Ilongo dialect means "to close" or "get in close," tirsia means to "quarter." The word tirsia is also derived from the medieval Latin tertiarius, meaning tertiary or "of a third." In essence, we close in on the enemy, quarter or cut them to pieces, then quickly get out of range. We always assume that the opponent is well trained and that there are more than one to deal with, so this combat system utilizes very sophisticated footwork to out maneuver the enemy or enemies and fast tactical striking mechanics to end the fight quickly. Kali of course denotes the utilization of edged weaponry in combat... NOT sticks.

19. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Yeah, I know it's "to cut into small pieces", only that doesn't translate into Ilongo.;)

20. Pat OMalley

And another question if PTK is the 'Original' 'Pure Filipino' and so anti Spanish then why have they not yet changed to numerous Spanish terminologies within the system. ???? Now surely that goes against the grain???