This isn't the same video Mr. Martinez posted, but I would like to hear your opinion.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by onpoint, Oct 20, 2011.

1. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

You want evidence that the light rattan stick is just a training tool, and not a weapon you take to combat? Pick up your light rattan stick, I offer you proof.:rolleyes:

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

maybe it was once lost, but now it has been found.

Although if something was lost, then found, would it be truly intact being so long lost?

3. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Re head-for-knee calculus:

The guy in shorts, does a similar flawed calculus move at the beginning, by diving for it no less, which he paid dearly for. Had those hits come from a blade or hard impact, he'd have suffered some seriously injuries. And for what, because he thought diving for the knee was cool.

Soon after he does a jumping no. 1 ala Brad Pitt from Troy as Achilles or a similar scene from the 300:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq-uMIZGETs"]Troy - Achilles vs Boagrius - YouTube[/ame]

I'm assuming after the fancy moves in the beginning, the guy in shorts realizes the guy in sweats ain't no joke. And like clock work, it's corto time. More can be said about this, but just wanted to highlight those two opening moves, re calculus--ie. if you don't have to dive for a knee, don't... save your head.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And if you are trying to prove a point don't use a made up film to prove it

5. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

It's the Achilles move. That's exactly what they call it, Hannibal. People do it in jest during sparring. I don't know if this was his intent. But it's called the Achilles move after that movie.:rolleyes:

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:topic: Rant.....

Much less THAT Gods Aweful piece of trash!

That film is a BUTCHERY of The Illiad- pure Butchery! Hideous!

Some say the Greeks invented written language to put The Illiad and The Odyssey into written form. (source- Teaching Company lecture series on Greek History or Literature- I forget which one- Probably the one on the Illiiad.) The Illiad is one of the greatest pieces of literature of all time. That film does a great disservice to it. :mad:

End of Rant.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  7. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Yeah, but I don't think the Greeks could have ever envisioned Brad Pitt and that Achilles move.:cool: Remember who doubled for Brad Pitt and did the fight sequences?:rolleyes:

8. bisdak-escrema

bisdak-escrema New Member

use the rattan sticks with more nodes, if it still doesnt suffice use kamagong.

there's no more combat using swords nowadays, in a real combat would you rather bring a sword or an ar-15?

9. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Yeah, the close nodes are denser, but balance can be coaxed easier from kamagong and other hardwoods.

Bring both!:eek:

Most recent combat arms military who went to Iraq and now, especially in Afghanistan, carry with them tomahawks, big knives, etc. these aren't tool blades too, they are Winkler and other expensive blades.

So even in real combat, today's soldiers still carry blades.

There were a bunch of FOBs over run by Afghanis especially in the mid-2000s, necessitating hand-to-hand. In the special operations arena, blades are used quite often. So they are still very much necessary today and proper training is still very much necessary.

10. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Excerpt from Perry Gil S Mallari's fmapulse.com article "Reaction Time and Kinesthetic Sensitivity"