THIS IS HOW YOU KARATE

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 5, 2018.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

funny that boxing is probably one of the most ancient martial arts, yet never referred to that way.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The idea of punching people is ancient, but I'd argue the current rule set is very different from ancient "boxing." Greco-Roman wrestling is what I think of as the most "ancient" martial art in terms of being similar to how it was done in ancient times.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I mean, TKD is one of the more recent developments of Japanese martial arts and yet people often like to play up like it's of ancient Korean origin.

Yes, there's quite a difference between boxing and pugilism.

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

even with the ambiguities, boxing as we know it now is more "ancient" than karate :D
    Of course wrestling goes back a looong way.

5. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I think the term "Karate" was made official in about 1935 (though the older variants of Te throughout Okinawa are almost impossible to define on a timeline), whereas the Queensbury rules were published in 1865, so yeah I think you're bang on, Axel.

I think it's a good starting point that can turn into a potentially great event. At the moment it feels jagged and unpolished, and the filler 'trashtalk' and other froth was a bit distasteful. I think with some rule tweaks (which organisers have said they're open to moving forward) and a bit more of an open roster of fighters they might be on to something.

Monkey_Magic and Mitlov like this.
  6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

TKD is the origin of all arts as it predates them all, as any fule kno.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Isn't Greco an almost entirely modern event? An attempt to "re-create" some sort of older wrestling but not actually related to it?

8. axelb

Has anyone seen anything about the next event for this? They said mid June in Athens, which is not far off, but it's all gone very quiet. o_O

9. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

They put a facebook post up recently saying due to unforeseen circumstances the next event was cancelled. Not sure if they were on about the Athens one but it seems likely.

axelb likes this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I was hoping it wasn't going to fizzle out this quickly, but I thought there was a realistic possibility it would. Hopefully this is a one-time hiccup and not the end of the ruleset.

All the money renting the exotic cars for the pre-fight show last time probably could have been better spent. On literally anything.

Knee Rider, BohemianRapsody and axelb like this.
  11. BohemianRapsody

BohemianRapsody Valued Member

But- but... they were so classy!

Knee Rider and Mitlov like this.
  12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The pecking order of karateka according to Karate Combat: "your Rolls-Royce is pathetic. Check out my yacht!"

The pecking order of karateka according to real life: "your twelve year old Geo Metro is pathetic. Check out my six year old Volkswagen Golf!"

axelb and BohemianRapsody like this.
  13. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If it's the Athens one that is cancelled that might simply be due to the strikes effecting flights and infrastructure?

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

"Unforseen circumstances" does sound like weather or something like the traffic control strikes, rather than budget related.

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Fix'd :p

bassai, Mitch, Van Zandt and 4 others like this.
  16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Let's just shut down the thread for the day. Fish has officially won it.

Mitch, El Medico and axelb like this.
  17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I never got this whole belt thing! I got my black belt maybe 15 years ago, not sure now. I still wear it, anywhere between 2 and 6 times a week. For years my kids played with it, so it's also been skipped over, tied to things as a "cable," used to attack the cat etc.

And it is barely frayed! Just little bits are threadbare where it twists for the knot or at the corners.

More to the point I don't want it to fall apart, it's like an old friend now, and comfy like old trainers. :D

Fish Of Doom, axelb and Mitlov like this.
  18. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I’ve actually seen the ques on Kanazawa courses to have gis signed that people were then going to get embroidered over , you wouldn’t believe it .

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's because you're not getting the right kind of sandpaper on it between classes to give it that authentic weathered look.
    What you need to do is, in the evening, tie it around your waist and sand down the edges while watching TV.

EmptyHandGuy and Mitch like this.
  20. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Pretty In Pink, Dan93 and axelb like this.