THIS IS HOW YOU KARATE

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

That looks fun!

What's the betting that eastern Europe just cleans house? Haha

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Interesting stuff, some familiar names from WKF, I wonder how committed to this they will be as the wkf karate will be in the next Olympics, those in their prime for the full contact version would likely also have their eye on competing in 2020

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

This definitely seems worth a look. Bas Rutten shared this via his FB a page a few days ago - He says that he is the 'League Ambassador' (whatever one of those is)

Travess

5. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

This looks like something I could really get into.

axelb likes this.
  6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It looks like the Golden Age of full contact (1960s - 1980s). The ring format reminds me of Chuck Norris's World Combat League (early - mid 2000s).

axelb likes this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Loves me a bit of Rafael Aghayev. Shame they dropped the gi top because he hits some wicked throws off of gi grips.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  8. axelb

I wonder why they dropped the Gi for it, also I noticed they don't have the footpads that they use for WKF kumite.

Either way it should produce some great viewing.

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Looks awesome! Would love to see more on the rule set and weight classes. Will be keeping an eye on this. Wonder on the response from the traditional full contact styles i.e. Kyokushin, Enshin ect as I would prefer this format to traditional knockdown tourneys.

Happy they dropped the gi as I personally have always hated wearing them.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Looks like the bouts that have already taken place in Budapest are available to stream - Their website has a choice of either the highlights, or the full fight itself.

Fights - Karate Combat

Travess

Knee Rider, axelb, Dan93 and 3 others like this.
  11. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I know what I'm watching this weekend!

Travess likes this.
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Some of the fights now up on Youtube.

Dead_pool, Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  13. Knee Rider

That was interesting!

First off I have to say the overall presentation and filming is absolutely top notch. It has this cinematic quality due to the framing and lighting which makes it look so slick. Also, the ring is amazing.

What I found watching it just reinforced a few things for me:
    1) how ineffective the one shot one kill strategy employed in full contact karate is in a continuous fight. I already suspected this but it's interesting to see karateka fail at implementing it. Single straight attacks, or repeated single straight attacks predicated on superior speed just don't seem to do enough neurological damage to put people out of the fight. As opposed to combinations and counter striking.
    2) how effective low kicking is. The guy was crushed under the first low kick and if they had of continued he'd of been out on a stretcher. His stance left him wide open for them.
    3) how important ability in the clinch is. Imo clinch superiority is what won that fight.

What I really liked was the slanted ring edge and the bearded guy's throwing/clinch. Was that from Goju Ryu or another school of karate? Or are these guys cross trained?

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. axelb

The competitors all seem to be those who regularly compete in WKF kumite tournaments which is a mixture of Karate styles. I'm not sure what Rafael's style is, but I read he has experience in Judo.

I like the slanted edge into the "pit" as they called it, I think some interesting moves could be pulled off from that.

I noticed they said no hooks, which is similar to the WKF rules, I think that is a bit short sighted with it being a full contact tournament?

They allow low kicks, but they don't seem prepared for it, I couldn't tell if they had padding on under the gi bottoms.

Entertaining to watch, I'll be tuning in for the others. It said the next stages will be on 26th April.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Watch some of Rafael Aghayev's highlights. His clinch throws are ace. His sasae tsurikomi ashi (I think) is amazing.

Van Zandt likes this.
  16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I don't think that strategy is actually common in most full contact karate.

Certainly if you watch Kyokyshin, Enshin, Ashihara or Kudo I don't think you'd see it. Kyokyshin is almost the exact opposite of that ethos.

I think this is down to the rule set and background of the competitors.

Knee Rider likes this.
  17. Knee Rider

My bad! I should have been more specific. I was referring to the wkf(?) Shotokan type of kumite you quite commonly see outside of knockdown karate rulesets.

Mitch likes this.
  18. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

That'll be down to the shobu ippon (point stop) style kumite that was ingrained in Shotokan from the beginning , continuous fighting quite obviously requires a different approach.

Knee Rider and Mitch like this.
  19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The fighting itself was cool. I hope it takes off instead of fizzling out and dying off. And I second the comment about the lighting and camera-work really exceeding expectations.

But what the heck is this? (From the Sports Illustrated link):

Real-time nutrition and DNA-based data? Do the fighters have probes implanted in their intestines and bloodstream? Seriously, what did I just read?

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  20. Knee Rider

Thanks, that is essentially what I mean. The shobu ippon (thanks for that!) approach was obviously developed to reflect a particular approach or ideology towards real fighting, but it's one that ultimately doesn't pan out. Maybe with a sword.