This is EXACTLY why you must not teach yourself sword arts

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Dave Humm, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Dave it wouldnt load for me ... :mad:

4. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Wow, I could do better iaido and I've never taken it.

5. Dave Humm

Ok.... Hold on to your breakfasts, you ask for it....

More of that crap here

And I warn you, this guy is quite serious.

Clip two is particularly amusing as every time I watch it I'm expecting the top of his head to come flying off :p even though I know it doesn't (lol)

6. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Watching those clips suddenly gave me the urge to commit Seppuku....

7. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

Lorks! I didn't expect it to be that bad :eek:!

Forewarned, I watched the first one in the anticipation that I'd be seeing either some inaccurate, sloppy, form or flashy showmanship ... but ... well Dave's said all that needs to be said already :lol:.

8. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

:D

*Smiles nervouslywhile pretending to know whats wrong with the clip....

:(

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

AHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, what the hell is he on. How can he possibly keep a straight face while doing that?

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Dave whats wrong with the second set of clips ?

:D

11. Dave Hail

Dave Hail Valued Member

Well..... I might not teach a recognised style but those clips were... I'm trying to think of a polite word here..... "interesting"???

Where does he teach? I need to keep my guys away from that area.

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

13. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

:confused: er can I ask what style you do teach then?

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D

In that first vid clip he looks at if he wouldn't be able to cut through soft cheese. That was terrible... he wields that sword with as much grace as a swinging a wet noodle. Watching that made me nervous for his thumb... I was sure he was gonna lose it... perhaps in the second vid?

Someone should make that vid a sticky. :p

15. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

As a former Iai 6th Kyu, I was watching the first three videos, and I thought, well he's not great, but I can see how the Average Joe might be fooled.

Then I saw the third and fourth videos...

Oh my. :rolleyes:

I admit, I didn't get very far, and I sucked at what little I learned, but even I could see that was, how can I put this, :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Anyway, what's this about;

in the classes part of the website?

16. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

hmm, accuracy: no
    technique: no
    power: no

posing around waiting for the blood to stop and the body to slide in half like in the films: yes

i perticulay like the bits where, after he has missed you with his baddly executed strikes, he then goes to shake your hand.

17. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I was looking for a context for the clips, forinstance they could have been showing a move in slow motion.
    5th Dan Renshi is a very senior grade!

18. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Just out of curiosity -is the problem here (apart from that he seems to do whatever he tries to do in a wobbely way) that he claims to do certain katas, that he does wrong, or that he claims to be doing katas when he makes up stuff himself?

19. Dave Humm

If you take a look at his website you'll note he claims rank in Iai Battojutsu and Toyama Ryu Battojutsu, claims rank and title (both I think) from the rep here in the UK from the Dai Nippon Butoku Kai, its all rubbish as far as I can see for the moment, that and the fact that for an alleged Godan his presence and ability with the sword is about on par with that of ungraded students.

Critique of his form is one thing; his claims are an entirely different but closely connected second issue. Source

My point in posting this thread was to illustrate why learning a sword art must be from credible, verifiable sources and not, from this kind of individual.

Regards

20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Heh Cheers Dave,
    I do hope my IQ stretches to 3 figures and at one glance I could work out the man was a wee bit shady.

The Bear.