This crazy yo-yo head of mine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jack, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

I've been weightlifting for about 6 weeks, some pretty good gains (about 2lb a week), strength has gone up well and all of that.

And now I doubt whether I want to lift and want to try out Martial Arts instead.

This always happens to me - I get into something and after a while I tire of it and want to do something else. I've also recently got back into my Buddhist practice and I'm seeing the lifting as a possible act by my ego to hold onto a sense of self. But I also don't want to get out of shape, and I also want to be able to defend myself.

Basically, I'm like a yoyo. I'm confused. Has anyone got any advice for what I can do to sort my mind out?

Jack

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Well is you work hard at MA you should not get out of shape. Since you say that you are a YO YO then you need to sit and think about if the MA is good for you. If you really want this or if you think is going to be another thing that you will do for a month or two and drop it. If it looks like something that you want to do and then go for it. Do it cause you like it and you want to, (like you said) not to make your ego happy. You dont have to rush into it.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Chazz is right, you have to do what will make you happiest in the long run.

Who's to say you can't lift and do MA? I should imagine one would help the other.

4. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Why not do both? :D

5. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

The lifting can aid martial arts, gear your program to give you what you need to improve your kicking, punching and grappling etc. General improve total body strength stuff, slightly different approach to just lifting to gain bulk.

6. Jack

Jack Valued Member

I'm sticking with the lifting now, it came down to recognising doubt and telling it to keep out of plans, but with college time commitments I don't know if I will search for a Martial Art to study also at this point.

Jack