thinking to start martial arts but...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nikiti, Dec 19, 2019.

1. nikiti

nikiti New Member

hey, I am thinking to start martial arts but I have broken arm with platinum plates inside and is even difficult for me to do even push ups...do you think is good idea / possible to start martial arts? if it is possible then which one I should choose?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think you should take this time to research what school you want to go to. Go online, read reviews, visit the school and ask to watch a group class. Post links to the websites of the school here.

But no, don't actually start until you are healed up.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My advice would be to check with your doctor first and find out what limits/recommendations s/he can offer.

Then, figure out what schools are nearby and stop by to talk to the instructors about your concerns. See if you can do some free trial classes with the more promising ones. Then choose the program that fits best.

As an instructor, I have worked with students with all sorts of health issues, both physical and developmental... there are probably programs out there that can accommodate you based around what you can safely do.

Good luck

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Is your arm broken right now? Is it going to heal? How old are you roughly? I only ask the last question because if you're 16 to 24 years old chances are it will heal quickly.

5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Platinum?

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. nikiti

nikiti New Member

I broke it when I was 21 and now I am 34...didn't heal and can't do gym...so I though martial arts as a way to exercise ...

7. nikiti

nikiti New Member

well it didn't heal the last 13 years..so probably I will pass with the idea of martial arts...

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

You have a broken arm that hasn't healed in 13 years???????:eek:

Is there a language barrier issue going on here? Broken arms don't take 13 years to heal.

(Deja vu......I could swear MAP has had this conversation before.) nikiti, did you post about this injury here in the past?

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

10. Dead_pool

Do you mean it's still fractured, or that it's still weak?

Grond likes this.
  11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

It turns out platinum is an effective, if somewhat costly metal to use in bone fusion surgery. I was surprised hearing that (it's a precious metal), but it's "biocompatible". You said you "can't do gym" what does that mean really. You can't life weights, or do a cardio program? What are your goals.

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

They probably mean Titanium. As that's been the standard material for plates and rods for a long long time now.

Grond likes this.
  13. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

zombiekicker, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  14. nikiti

nikiti New Member

its non precious metal covered with platinum...plated

15. nikiti

nikiti New Member

no I cant lift weight...well I can do cardio I think... but I started to think perhaps for some soft karate training in combination with swimming or cycling

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Dead_pool

Tai chi etc could be right up your street.

If you don't mind me mentioning, if you have an underlying condition that is connected to your fracture not healing, then that will obviously also effect your ability to train safely, and of course that also applies to road cycling,

I've tried swimming before with a newly broken hand, I had to give up due to the pain, if your fracture isn't healed swimming might not even be possible.

Mitch and Grond like this.
  17. Dead_pool

So a platinum plated plate?

Interesting!

18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Swimming is a great idea, especially in a heated pool. It provides a good balance of resistance and free movement for stretching the body out. Survival treads are one of the most useful endurance exercises I can think of. You can train karate your whole life and never need it, but the ability to stay afloat and breathing is a pretty universal survival skill.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  19. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Grond likes this.
  20. windwalker

windwalker Member

Why not learn how to use a firearm,,"gun" at a local range.
    It can be an art that is definitely "martial" start with a small caliber
    something they your injury allows you to handle.

If your looking for an exercise yoga, qi gong, walking, swimming as some mentioned
    all good for health .