Thinking of going pro MMA

Discussion in 'MMA' started by sudo02, Sep 20, 2007.

1. sudo02

sudo02 Valued Member

Hi everyone, i have been thinking recently about turning pro, mainly due to somebody i know who has just gone pro and is fighting soon. i will wait and see how he gets on with his debut & other things before i give it a go.

my questions are

1 are they mandatory tests i.e aids, heppititus etc before each bout (due to blood etc)

2 how much money do you make per fight (i dont know him that well to ask that)

3 how many pro fighters are they in welterweight in Britain at a educated guess

the reason i am thinking about it is that i always did well against him (tapped him out the majority of the time dominated postions on the floor & boxing etc) if he can do it maybe i can.

i also help out teaching, so feel that i should do it

thank you

2. spirez

spirez Valued Member

In the UK at least not all events are sanctioned and so blood tests are not taken in the lower ranked shows. Is a bit of a worry but you can be vaccinated against at least one of the forms of Hepatitis.

Money sucks, if you're in it for the money you will be sorely disappointed, unless you make it to the big time and even then it's not great for lower tier fighters. I know a lad who fought on cage warriors and got £100-200 for a win... You'll do better if you're in it for the love of the game.

Don't look at what he's doing. If you're serious then just get your name around on the amateur and semi-pro circuit first. It's not hard to go pro, but it's very hard to do well...

Anyway good luck to you, it's my dream too!

3. sudo02

sudo02 Valued Member

thanks for the reply pal bit worried about the blood etc. moneys not a real problem. i was just seeing how he did, to compare myself to.

cheers

4. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Put it this way, i know of a lad with a semi-pro record of 0-2. He decided to go pro because in his second semi-pro bout, he had his opponent mounted but couldn't throw any strikes to the head to finish the guy off. I'm not sure how but he subsequently ended up losing.

So he turned pro, and has a pro record of 0-4.

That's the strange thing about MMA, seems you don't even need a good record to fight pro!

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i posted this anecdote in the other forum but though tit was funny enough to share with the rest of my none mma pals

funny story...great payday....i have a mt fight in new york....payday 1000 plus air fair

i am a doctor so im not hurting for money i do this for the love of the sport ....but pay is pay

my girlfriend begs to go....but wants to take our new born baby.....8 months old i say ok.....but she wont go on the airplane (cause she dont want the babys ears to pop and cause pain)

so i say ok get coach tickets on a train......

my two buddies want to work my corner ...ok total of 4 tickets..baby is free!

on the first leg of the trip....(2 hours)....my girl friend complains about how unconfortable it is ,major guilt trip on if i was any kinda man i wouldnt let my daughter cry.....

ok i bump them up to first class (private room) 1000$

now as we are in the first class we get to eat in 1st class dinning car

my buddies wine and complain worse than my chick....next leg i bump them up to a private room 800$

figure in the round trip total cost
    trainportation 3800 $
    food 300$
    entertainment (we went to strip joint) 400$

total cost 4500...for a big 1000 dollar payout!

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

if you cant answer those basic question im going to go out on a limb and say that you likely dont have enough experiance to even contemplate going pro, nor would you be given the opportunity.

8. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

A fair assessment.

9. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

my coach earned £200 from cage rage i think, he talked about it last night and said unless your a big name your earn low amounts.

one of our guys who trains with us is a euro title holder and earns 2-3k afight

10. Lucan

Lucan Valued Member

How many pro fighters at Welterweight? An educated guess... **** loads!