thinking of crossing over

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by maximus_tkd, May 9, 2004.

1. maximus_tkd

maximus_tkd New Member

i am a 1st dan itf black belt
    i was wondering if any1 on here has any opinions on itf-tkd training in muay thai, ive been reading about it constantly and came to the conclusion that this is what i want to train in...for many different reasons.

do you ppl think it would be beneficial?,
    hard to addapt?

not that i want to completely drop my itf training or ever will, but to me it just seems to have everything that we lack.

not to mention, if im not mistaken....**full contact**

2. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

I think it would be very beneficial to you...know what i have never seen? someone crossing a japansese and chinese art....like jujitsu and gung fu...

3. mikelw

mikelw New Member

i know lotsa people that do that :)

4. maximus_tkd

maximus_tkd New Member

so how does that help me out,...or you like to write for no reason mike

5. sky

sky Valued Member

Many ppl cross over from TKD to Muay Thai.

Staying in ITF and training in Muay Thai at the same time will be confusing and hard to adapt to.
    There foot work and stances are very different, i am not saying you cnt do both but i dont think it would be worth doing both because you would get confused

6. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

it would be really good for you, its direct, very straight forward and no forms to practice, you'll adapt easilly, just a few adjustments on your footwork and kicks, and no it wont mess up your tkd training.

7. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Welcome to the Dark Side...
    You'll be relearning most of the stuff but since you already are proficient in TKD, consider training in MT as another important piece of the puzzle. Everything will be more boiled down and direct. If there's one thing that you will like, it's simplicity. Training is rigorous. And that nice white dobuk you used to wear...gone. You'll be stripped down to your sweaty loins. Yummy.

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  8. Mawi

Mawi Banned Banned

LOL well said, I am sure you will adapt, if you are like me and found TKD not as challenging, Muay Thai is right for you. And The shorts make you lighter too. :)

9. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Nothing ventured nothing gained, so they say.

Go for it mate

10. maximus_tkd

maximus_tkd New Member

a little update...

been in a MuayThai club for a couple weeks now and, I LOVE IT.

everything, the workout is way more intense, the warm up is even a workout

the training, the conditioning(my shins and knees have been sore as hell but I like that) even the talks that we have about theory and pholosophy...and they always start with "does anyone have any questions about anything, what we have done today or anything at all?"

great stuff if you have the grit

11. alexxlea

alexxlea Valued Member

Glad you like.

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i wouldnt think the muay thai and tkd stances were very compatible... in MT the feet are pointing forward, in TKD, they point more to the side dont they?

anyway, if you are at a black belt level and still arent doing full contact, I would seriously question the training. experience is the greatest teacher, and if you never actually fight, you aren't going to learn much.

13. Mawi

Mawi Banned Banned

They don't do full contanct. They have to put pads on. TKD never ever has any torument with on pads. The whole thing is about scoreing points not to KO.... They don't use there hands and bonuce with is very differnt from Muay Thai. So they never will do full contact, any TKD school you go to you will never find a place with no pads. The TKD stance is a little wider and points the foot allmost all the way to the side and they bounce with makes them light on there feet. I myself take TKD for speed not power. I also do muay thai so it helps me out being faster than my oppent and i get my power from Muay Thai. However in september or so i will get my black belt. I want to get my black belt and queit it cuz its a wasit of money and time. Thou Muay Thai i will never queit at till i die. :) TKD can't really be used for combat but Muay Thai is combat. So TKD is good for a sport to do something in your life but if you want to learn a art of fighting Muay Thai is one of the best to learn for stand up fighting. TKD was really my first art but i found myself thinking hmmmm this is so unblanced and wouldn't really make me a formidable fighter. Then once is started Muay Thai hehe I started devolping lots of power and control, and felt like i was renewed.

(WE (ARE ALL) ONE)Y(WE (ARE ALL)ONE)

14. maximus_tkd

maximus_tkd New Member

i actually found the best way to learn is to act as if you are a complete beginner, put everything you know into the back of your mind even if you think what you know is better, this way you will fully learn your new art, whatever it is, ex.muaythai.

after training for along time...say you are ready to have a fight, then you can use other skills you have as you see fit or start to alter the stricter way you were taught into your own style of fighting