Thinking about trying Judo...?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by yoyo123, May 11, 2011.

1. Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Valued Member

How many men are world champions in a sport where they have to compete with women?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well you can compare some things.
    Running for example. Would a woman's finish time qualify her as a champion if she ran with the men in the same sport?
    You could do the same with any lifting and throwing sports too.

I'll do some google and find out!

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just looking at the result of the 2008 olympic 100 metres shows that the slowest man would still have won the women's race.
    By .7 of a second which is some margin for 100 meters.

4. lma

lma Valued Member

I agree with frodlicous. The whole aim of judo is once your a pro you use your opponents weight against them. If you don't feel comfortable I doubt you will get this far though.

If its for the spiritual side why not try a bit of karate ? There Dojo run has a rule about development of character. The improved circulation could help your back . It helped the founder with his problems.

I would try free lesson at many clubs to see what best suits you. Ad even when you fond a style you may not like that club / instructors ethics.

5. Ahhhhhhhh, this brought me back 25 years ago when I wanted to beat or equal the women's WR in sprints under 400m, throws and jumps...
    Never got there, but Marita Koch had more testosterone in her blood than I! :D

On the debate of size, it matters, period.
    At the same level of skills, and absent an "equalizer" (weapon?), a big strong younger male will (always?) defeat a smaller female.

When I discuss with Chinese Martial Artists, they would have me believe that size does not matter... in fact, they will pretend that a senior, sick weakling will beat a younger monstrous stud...
    After a couple of beers, they easily admit that they'd rather be bigger... ;)

Osu!

6. Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Valued Member

That is not what I wanted to here. No way that info is correct.

GOOGLE IS WRONG!!! :rolleyes:

7. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Valued Member

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So easy & common that someone decided to make a video & post it on YouTube?

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Size matters...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4"]YouTube - Is That a Knife[/ame]

10. Moi

To the O/P

Although I appear to be very negative about this I feel you owe it to yourself to possibly expand your club range a little and try every club to see if there are training partners out there that will be at least close to your size.
    If kicking is the only thing that's keeping you from other arts then possibly adding boxing to your list?
    You could start without a small training partner but it's going to be much more fun if you can find one

11. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Valued Member

I get the sarcastic tone, I don't get your point. What's the problem?

12. yoyo123

yoyo123 Valued Member

Moi, I wouldn't mind looking at other arts, there just isn't much else available here. We have BJJ and Judo schools...everything else is taekwondo. I could probably find a boxing class, that's a good suggestion and sounds like an awesome workout...just not sure I like the idea of getting punched that much without some kind of protective gear!

I hear you on the finding a partner my size, though. Honestly, I think my best bet is probably teenagers, though I am still hoping to find some women at one of these schools!

13. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Valued Member

OP, Hi,

I don't know what the clubs you have found are like and cannot deny that occasionally you find some where those training are just there for a dust up. One of the underlying principles of judo is Jita Kyoei - Mutual Welfare and Benefit.

I said judo is for everyone, because it is. Whoever you train with should be interested in helping you as they will get nothing out of the training if they don't. I don't train the same way now as I did when I was 20, I'm not physically capable so have had to adapt, my aims and goals are totally different.

At the clubs I go to we have ages from 16 to 60+, males and females and players ranging from 45kilos to 135+ kilos, from white belt through to 7th Dan, future, ex and current national level players. No one would take any liberties, but if ever ego gets in the way there is always someone bigger and better around to provide an attitude adjustment.

In an ideal world obviously it would help if some players were your age and weight. However, if you find a good club with a good coach you will be well looked after and definitely helped to progress. Judo or bjj will be the best decisions you ever make, I've always preferred it to getting hit in the face. ;-)

14. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Valued Member

Attached Files:

15. Moi

That throw was posted on YouTube as something exceptional due to the size difference , a compliant throw. Just how long does it take to achieve orange in judo?

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

This is very true. Although your size will be an issue, you shouldn't let it put you off training. Believe me, when you manage a throw, holddown or submission on a big guy, it makes it all worthwhile! :D

17. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Valued Member

I posted the video so I should know why I did it. It is only available to those that know the link, we video lots of comps and techniques, it's a great learning tool. Of course it's compliant, it's uchi komi onto a crash mat.

Also, the video shows an orange belt training with a national level 3rd dan player nearly 3 times her weight and they are both enjoying their training and getting something from it. Using your logic she shouldn't even be training at that club.

Incidentally, despite it being uchi komi, that is pretty decent technique for an orange belt. When she trains with people nearer her weight and grade she's very good, a real prospect.

18. Moi

Doesn't really help with a complete beginner though justvshows it's possible to physically throw someone one you have the skill.
    As you state this girl trains with similar sized people, which is what the O/P needs, at least to start but probably always.

19. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Valued Member

Where did I say anything about learning just from videos? I said they were a useful learning tool (not the only learning tool). They are useful as much for the coach to help develop a players technique as the player.

Also the girl trains with everyone, regardless of weight, I actually said people 'nearer' her grade and weight. Compared with the 138k guy in the video that means everyone at the club.

A lightweight who only trains with other lightweights (at any level) will develop technique that will be useless against anyone bigger or stronger. That defeats the whole point of why Kano developed judo and Helio progressed bjj.

Once again I'd urge the OP to give it a try ;-)

20. Moi

thought had never entered my head, my posting style isn't always easy to understand.

fully agree but the minimum requirement is still going to be at least one person of a similar build or reasonably near. It's why I'm encouraging her to look for one in choosing her club