Thinking about trying Judo...?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by yoyo123, May 11, 2011.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

If that's true, why are there weight classes in Olympic judo? There are no weight classes in fencing, because size doesn't matter for that--but size definitely matters in ANY grappling sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo#Weight_divisions

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

There used to be a great girl in Deeside about your size. She'd be a black belt now if she's still training.
    Seen all these problems with teens as well as petite women. Great to train now and again with bigger people but it's better to learn when it's equal

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

4. yoyo123

yoyo123 Valued Member

lol, I'm looking at both! Judo and BJJ are the only non-kicking arts I can find locally. I am enjoying seeing all of your responses. This is all new to me! =D

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Absolutely. Learning with someone of the same size and weight as you is much the best option from the point of view of seeing progress. Skill is less of an issue as there is an argument for learning with someone who is better than you (because they can point out faults and give you tips), and an argument for learning with someone of the same (or even less) skill than you (because you can measure your progess more easily).

Try both. They are both excellent fun. I found I made progress more quickly with BJJ than Judo, but then I was spending more time doing groundwork than throwing. I felt like I was getting the principles of groundwork more easily than those of throwing.

I love groundwork - there is nothing more rewarding than choking out or armbarring an unsuspecting bloke! :D

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Sorry, but you are wrong, as what I am saying is taken out of context.

If strength so matters (as ultimate end), then every female out there would be poor martial artists against stronger males

7. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Size always matters in Judo and most everything else in life. How often does a guppy eat a shark?

8. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

I agree. How many women are world champions in a sport where they compete with men?

9. 47MartialMan

The size equation is that of fair competition per rules.

What I am saying, size and strength should not be the ultimate limitation or conclusion.

Are we to totally conclude that a person of smaller size could never defeat one of larger?

Are we to totally conclude that a female not as strong as her male counterpart would never be able to defeat him because of lack of strength or size?

10. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

And remember Osama Bin Laden also took Judo.

11. 47MartialMan

Guppies and sharks are not humans with brain power.

Brain power needed to study how to improve.

Therefore, the techniques in Judo are for stronger people to overcome weaker?

That there is no technique(s) to have one of smaller, less strength, to overcome a larger?

That the principles of Judo, is not flexibility, nor efficient use of balance, nor leverage? Per it is all about what size one is or how strong they are?

12. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Young Lady, Just start Judo.
    If i could do it all again, i would head straight for a Judo club.

It is the strongest base for ANYONE to start from. After a period of time, you may branch out to which ever direction you wish. But the lessons learnt in Judo will be the most important you will ever get in respect of how to use your body/size to its utmost potential.

:cool:

13. Moi

I know some pretty tough women in a variety of arts. I know about four of the five foot size, one of them ex-british & commonwealth champion and they all worry whether their skills would be sufficient in a self defence situation.
    They're in a better position than most women of the same size but whether it's enough would depend on the attacker.

14. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Hasn't this argument been done? ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hbylx1Fjg&feature=related"]YouTube - Wrestling Man Ws Woman![/ame]

15. Moi

It's not a male -v- female argument. Its a size argument.

O/P needs a club with someone of similar size give or take a few inches and maybe half her bodyweight again?

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

That's not remotely what you said. You said size doesn't matter. Of course it matters. It's not the ONLY factor that matters, and if other factors are overwhelming than a smaller person could defeat a larger one, but size most definitely matters.

If size didn't matter in judo, two equally skilled judoka would be evenly matched against each other, even if one was twice the size of each other. I think we all know that's not true.

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You are changing the emphasis of what you said in your early posts.

As a small female I'm telling you (from my experience and that of other small women I've trained with) that size does matter, particularly early on in training. I have found this in a number of styles I have studied.

As skill level improves (and particularly against an untrained opponent), size becomes less of a factor, but it will always be an issue to contend with. A skilled judoka can use their small stature to their advantage if they know what they are doing.

In the case of this discussion size is a very important point for the op to be aware of. She is a small, untrained female wanting to start a full contact martial art. If she has to train with people much bigger than her, she will struggle and none of the theories about unbalancing and using her opponent's weight against them will be of use to her until she has some skill and experience to put it into practice, and even then the size of her opponent will be a factor.

Making a sweeping statement about size not mattering is completely misleading and patently untrue. However, being small should not put someone off training judo as with a good partner (even a much larger one) and decent training, it is an excellent martial art to study.

18. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

If size didn't matter in judo and grappling, then there would be an equal distribution of absolute division winning players across the weight classes. This is clearly not the case.

Its been stated previously, but the being able to defeat a larger opponent using judo only comes into effect when there is a difference in technical ability. Thus whilst the OP is acquiring said technical ability she will need to work with smaller players as well.

19. Moi

Trying all the local schools is the best bet both in Judo and BJJ. Hopefully one will have a smaller female or as Frodo has already suggested there might be teenagers able to help.

20. Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Valued Member

I can think of quite a few humans with less brain power than either a guppy or a shark. I may be one of them. :)