Thinking about getting my second kettlebell, not sure about which one

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nachi, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I have started going to a kettlbell gym once a week in December of last year.
    I have had a 16 kg kettlebell at home for some time, but not that much motivation to work-out by myself.
    I really enjoy the training in the gym. And by looking about stuff up online, I found a store where they sell the remainder of their kettlebells with over 30% discount. Which had me thinking about getting myself a second one.
    Still, I do not plan to have all the weights (and they're still not the cheapest), so I would prefer picking one that would be the best fit. I am not sure which weight, though.

I have been using my 16 kg for basically everything in the past. I didn't do TGUs as I wasn't that sure about the technique and for snatches it felt too heavy. But I used it just for any other exercise I knew.

Now in the gym the focus is mostly on exercises like swings, squats and deadlifts, I found out that using a heavier bell with few reps is something I enjoy more. And it is also what we are going for there. Also I tend to be too lazy to do cardio at home, but doing a short "lifting" session is something I might find the motivation to do.

At this moment what I do in the classes are TGUs with 16 kg, trying to slowly start progressing to 20, then goblet squats and double-handed swings both with 28 kg. I also work on double-handed deadlifts.

I haven't yet learned one-handed swings and snatches which are sure to come in time and I am not sure what weight would be good for me for those at all. However, I can get a lighter bell for snatches anytime, but I would like to use the discount to get myself something over 16 kg.

I am tempted with 28 kg kettlebell for double-handed swings and goblet squats and for double-handed deadlifts - the heavier, the better. (Not sure about the weight for one-legged deadlifts).
    On the other hand 28 kg would be too much for TGUs.
    And I have no idea about the weight for one-handed swings if I learned those. I feel my 16 kg might be good for them, though? I really don't know.
    Basically I think 28 would fit several things I do - would be challenging enough, but for the other stuff probably downright impossible to use and progress from 16 kg.
    For reference, my BW is 76 kg.

I am going ot ask the instructor at the gym for her opinion on Sunday, but I bet there are some experienced kettlebellers here who could give advise here ^^ Would 28 kg be ok? Or is 20 or 24 kg more universal for shorter home sessions?

Kettlebells are still not that cheap and can't be scaled, so I would like to gather advice. I never really thought I would need a heavier kettlebell before I actually tried them at the gym. And I am a bit uncertain with the ideal weight, but kind of excited to try and supplement my once-a-week class at home.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Kettlebells are still not that cheap and can't be scaled
    At the risk of sounding like I hate on kettlebells (I don't they are great door stops) wouldn't a simple cheaper scalable barbell set do the job for you alongside the KB you already have?

3. Nachi

Don't hate on kettlebells! :D

I get your point, but that is not the way I want to take. Two of the main exercises I want to do are TGU and swings, both of which are tailored for kettlebell nad even if they could be adjusted for a barbell, it wouldn't be ideal. Could you actually even swing a barbell?
    So I guess even if one weight isn't perfect for everything, I'd still choose a kettlebell :) It also takes less space. And I just like to work with those.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Dumbbell swings were originally one of the main competition lifts in the days before powerlifting.
    Powercleans work the same muscles as swings and can also effect the aerobic system the same way.
    If you really want a KB work out what you want it for and go from there.
    Muscular endurance or strength endurance whichever you pick will decide the weight for you.
    For max strength with they aren't a good tool unless you are very very weak

hewho likes this.
  5. Nachi

Were they? I had no idea. I don't know that much about lifting...
    Hmmm, ok, I don't know about muscular vs. strenght endurance either :D Haha, that is embarassing. :oops:
    From the type of work-out we do, I suppose it is not for max strenght. Well, there are barbells for heavier deadlifts, squats, etc., but I am not there, yet. For my home work-out, I wouldn't want to go completely for my max, though. My thoughts are to do an exercise with heavy enough weight that is a good work out and helps improve strenght within not too many reps so that is doesn't turn into cardio. Something quick and efficient. Like what we do, which is perhaps 5 TGUs per side and 10x10 swings, or less, 5x5 deadlifts or squats. Which is how I've been using the weights I mentioned and would like to continue to do so.

While I was pondering this, I also found that the gym - or a chain of gyms has a forum, too, so I asked there and will see if I get any help there, too. :oops:

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

As someone who, like Icefield, hated kettlebells - I totally understand them now.

They're fun and ergonomic. Will they have the same benefits as many alternate forms of strength training - no.

Are they overpriced and over hyped? Yes, get them second hand instead. Or a resistance band.

Are you likely to keep using kettlebells for the forseeable future cos it fun - probably and its more acceptable to carry a kettlebell to the park.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Hey I don't hate them, as I said they are a great door stop :)
    Over priced, over hyped and over marketed they are but then so much is in the fitness world, people are selling special tyres for flipping, or specially made hammers for hitting said tyres :mad::mad::mad:

axelb, hewho, Nachi and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Not a shake weight fan then?! Hahahaha

axelb, Grond and Mitch like this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The advantage of two kettlebells is to let you do things like The Armour Building Complex, cleans, overhead press and squats. The addition of the second bell to your swing, clean, press or squat obviously significantly increases the difficulty. You just can't work the same way with one very heavy bell.

There's also something to be said for symmetrical training; one handed swings can lead to all sorts of odd twisting movements if you're not careful, and a twist during an explosive movement is potentially problematic. Using two bells keeps your swing, clean or snatch symmetrical.

I think there's a genuine safety issue of very heavy TGUs, because you've got a big weight in an unstable position above you. I'm not convinced of the value of just adding weight in that movement.

A heavy bell is great for 2 handed swings, but beyond that is limited, and you could just use two instead :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Nachi and Grond like this.
  10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I got these instead

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I had the free weights and did not want to invest in kettlebells

Nachi likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'd get the 28kg one, and then an adjustable dumbell set.

That way your future proof, and can keep two doors open, even in a strong wind!

axelb and Nachi like this.
  12. Nachi

I am sorry for answering late, I was really busy and, ehm, forgot a bit.

I am looking at them in a sale, so I think the price is fairly good. Which is, honestly, right now the reason I am considering getting a second one :D
    I do like kettlebells. In fact, my partner has brought a small barbell home and we've had it for some time, but somehow, I am still inclined to use the kettlebell instead. The barbell... Idk, I feel that to use it well, I'd have to get more weights to put on it to be worth exchanging it for my kettlebell ^^ And that would already be too big, to much stuff, etc. And yeah, I am having fun with the kettlebells. Although I am not likely to carry it to a park. Ever. Too heavy to carry it anywhere :D I do have a yard, though, and it is indeed convenient to bring it there :)And sometimes I bring it to our family's summer house(cottage if I spend there a few weeks in the summer and go by car.

Good advise. Thank you. Today I had a class and I asked the instructor afterwards. This was her opinion as well. She said getting a 20 kg or something like that isn't worth it, she thought that wouldn't really be good for much. To get a 28 kg, she said I could, but it was too light for deadlifts and I am going to move the weight up in swings and squats. She said maybe it would be usefulf for one-handed swings and TGUs in a while, but... I kind of think that is an overestimation of my abilities a little. Or, at least that idea is a bit scary to me now. Especially the TGU. As you say, I am not convinced I really want to do heavy TGUs at home. And 28 kg is way beyond what I could do now.
    She thought that doing squats or swings with perhaps 2x16 kg would be nice. It would be a good weight overall and harder to do with two bells.

So this is definitely an option to consider. It is just my nagging inside voice telling me that it sounds really stupid to get two weights of the same size :D

Those are nice if you already have the weights and (or use them for something else). I don't really like these, though. I feel like something could go wrong while swinging and even the round kettlebell is a bit uncomfortable to hold for exercises like TGU. Much less something with free weight and its relatively sharp edges. I believe these would be great and practical for something, but I don't really want to go this way. It just looks too plastic :oops:

Yeah, I wrote above what advice I got from the instructor, but the 28 sounds good to me still. It feels like a really good weight for me for swings and squats. I guess I could manage squats iwth something heavier, but... I don't really need to go to my absolute max at home.

:)

Mitch and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

They are good if you already have the weights, and you should go with what you want and feel comfortable with. But for the record, they are rated by weight, as to what they can handle

Nachi likes this.
  14. Nachi

And just for the record, I mentioned I found a forum related to the gym I go to and I asked there. However, although the forum has been running for years, about a couple of hours later it became unnaccessible before I was able to get any tip and has been ever since. Maybe my question was so stupid that it crashed the forum, hahaha :D

That is good to hear that they are scaled. I am, however, still used to working witht eh iron ones in one piece and I am familiar and comfortable with the grip, weight distribution and everything, so I would prefer to stick with those. But yes, it is a good tip and looks very useful for adjusting hte weight to one's needs :)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  15. Nachi

So I looked into the 16 kg kettlebell. Unfortunately, since this was a sale, selling last kettelbells as there is a newer design from this brand, the most universally used like 12,16 or 32 were already sold out. And I wanted a kettlebell, since they would be of the same weight and used simultaneously, that is as similar as possible to the one I already have (maybe a bit of OCD playing part, too). But this is where I found out this type of kettlebell would be of a very similar price to the discounted 28 kg. And in the end I decided to go with the 28 kg, keeping an eye out for a cheaper 16 kg.

Since 28 kg is rather heavy to work with at home and I was worried about the floor, I also got 10 gym floor puzzle pieces. One piece weighing nearly 4 kg :eek:
    Today the courrier arrived. I live in a place where you can't drive right to the building, but have to either walk a distance of 150 m or go into a underground garage that can take you right to the entrance. The courrier arrived in a van, which was too big to fit in the garage :eek: I didn't account for that possibility.
    Luckily one of his other deliveries was a sack truck, which he didn't hesitate to use for even a moment. The total weight of the two packages was around 80 kg, after all...
    I apologized a few times, offered to carry at least the kettlebell package, but he said he'd manage. But his smile disappeared right after the inicial tiny hill, he stopped talking soon after and when he dropped the two packages at my door, I thanked him again, but he didn't wait to hear it, turned on his heel and was gone without a word before I finished my apology. Out of breath and probably not very happy. I think he'll never deliver to me again :oops: But hey, at least there were no stairs! :D

But I am looking forward to trying the kettlebell out. Probably on Thursday :)

Grond, Mitch, Dead_pool and 1 other person like this.
  16. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Ah, the guilt of ordering heavy kit!! Enjoy the KB!

Nachi likes this.