Thinking about changing from Aikido to Ju Jitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by dsm, Feb 15, 2013.

1. dsm

dsm New Member

I've been practising Aikido for about 6 months now and while I've enjoyed the training, I find myself getting a bit frustrated at the lack of striking and sparring involved. I just noticed that there is a Ju Jitsu place nearby so I'm planning on checking it out, but I'm wondering if I can use some of what I've learned in my Aikido training as I hear they are quite similar styles?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Should do, although as far as I'm aware Jujutsu is a much harder style than Aikido.

Out of interest, what style is the Aikido, and what style is the Jujutsu?

3. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Aikido is a style of Ju Jistu. Some of it will probably transfer, some of it won't. Depends on the styles. But if you are not happy then go check it out. Hope you find what you are looking for.

4. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Aikido is a complex system and it takes time to understand the principles and concepts, Is this your first martial art? I would IMO generally recommend Aikido as a second MA after gaining a foundation in another system.

You have only been training for six months which is only a drop in the ocean and not anough time to fully learn the fundamentals, It depends on what you want to get out of it.

The Ju-jutsu depending on what system would most likely be easier to learn and get efficent in. Try it out and see if it suits and get a base then you can try out the Aikido at a later stage in your development.

Osu!

Dan93

5. hext

hext Valued Member

Check it out, see how it 'fits'

It'll be worth checking out a couple of jujitsu schools, do you have any info on them?

6. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

Not all ju-jitsu styles have sparring and some have sparring that is of a very low quality. You need to check out different styles and classes first. Judo and Brazilian Jujitsu can provide a good base as they are competitive with lots of sparring and resistance training.

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Daito-ryu may be more up your back alley!

It’s Aikido predecessor but a tad more hurty – for want of a better expression.

Gary

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

I went from Aikido to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and never looked back (with some other stuff in between) every person is different though, so try them both and look for your own path!

9. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Aikido is more of a martial way than a martial art. The techniques taught in the Aikido are most always derived from the Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu so it probably won't be much of a change.

10. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

I still train in Aikido and really enjoy it but like you felt I needed to push/test myself more through a more "resistive" art. I started training in BJJ also a few months ago and can honestly say it's the best thing I have ever done and it now takes up more of my time than Aikido. I really didn't appreciate how crap I was at fighting until I started BJJ :cry: . I don't think training in JJJ would be that much different to Aikido in terms of resistance (from seminars I've been to, which granted are different from actual class training).

I would say BJJ training has helped my reaction time and fitness, which has helped with Aikido...not so much help the other way round (yet) though.

11. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

BJJ is great for wrestling on the ground (or so I've heard) - defenitely a good weapon to have!

12. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

Aikido

There are different forms of Jjj some are more alive than others. Bjj is a fine art well suited for self defense (depending on how it's taught) and I suggest my students take it up if they can as our school has a limited Newaza set. Bjj comes from Judo, Judo is Jjj just like Aikido is a form of Jjj. I actually suggest to people if they want to take up Aiki arts it should be later in life and after they have studied some other form of Jujutsu/Judo for a decent amount of time. Many high ranking Aikido people I have met have high ranks in Judo/Bjj/Jujutsu first then begin to studied Aikido later.

13. Elitistjester73

Elitistjester73 Valued Member

Depends on what you want out of your training

I trained in Aikido for couple of years after getting mugged initially impressed however as I progressed I began to consider its limitations IMO the nature of Aikido requires lots of space as there are lots of big circular movements which is great in a dojo but real life situations don't always permit ie a situation on a bus or other tight spaced scenario. I subsequently changed to Jujitsu (traditional not BJJ) and it too has limitations as do most things but is far more suited to practical defence bearing in mind it's a traditional Japanese martial art. In conclusion if its a traditional art you want with some effective self defence then I'd go with JJ if its purely effective self defence then I'd consider Krav Maga.

Before everyone gives me a kicking - these are just MY opinions/experience

14. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

To the poster who said that Jujutsu is harder than Aikido, I totally disagree. Aikido is highly technical, relies on changes of direction, levels, speed and requires great timing. It takes years to master. Jujutsu is a much simpler martial.

Elitistjester73 is dead on in his comment about Aikido's real life application. Self defense techniques should be

1) Easy to learn
    2) They should allow you to target your opponent quickly and directly (straight lines)
    3) They should rely on basic moves. In a highly adrenalized state, the overwhelming majority of people are limited to gross motor skills.

Aikido strikes out.

Jujutsu is much more direct in its approach and does incorporate hand strikes, kicks (no higher than the groin in most schools - if you want the same art with high kicks, try Hapkido), throws, ground work and joint locks / submissions. Some schools deal with weapons (knives, guns, sticks...). That said, many jujutsu schools only spar lightly so do your homework, but in a vacuum Jujutsu is a much better art for self defense than Aikido. As a matter of fact, I would recommend Aikido as a stand-alone to anyone wanting to learn self-defense.

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Go and see if its what you wantfrom your martial arts journey. ?

Smurf;)

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

A) He meant "harder" as in physicality not in terms of learning

B) Ju Jitsu is every bit as difficult as Aikido - and in most cases they are pretty much the same art just with different flavours. What lets aikido down is training method not the art; what makes BJJ/Judo work is the opposite

17. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I am comparing Aikido and JJJ here, not BJJ. If OP meant BJJ, that's a different story altogether. That said:

A. Point taken.

B. Still disagree. Aikido is much more technical that JJJ. More technicality means higher learning curve every time and no matter how you slice it. It's not a coincidence if - training time put in and quality of instructions being equal - it takes more time to climb through the ranks in soft martial arts than hard arts. And even within the two categories, there are different levels of technicality required to master the techniques.

That's my opinion, at least.

18. Hannibal

How long to gain black belt in Aikido? Estimates seem to be 4-7 years
    How long in BJJ? Estimates seem to be 7-10

So which is more sophisticated by your measure?

How many JJ systems have you actually trained in?

Aikido is just another art - it offers the same concepts as JJ just tarted up a bit for training.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  19. Hannibal

As an example here is me doing a pressure drill (I.e. the guy is trying to punch me at about 75%)

http://youtu.be/hQKtRZXNetE

Notice that it LOOKS like Aikido - so much so it actually received positive responses in the "cool aikido videos" thread on MAP (p.10) but it is entirely Ju Jitsu in origin (well as entirely as anything in my entirely bastardized approach to scrapping is)

20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Dude you need to start reading more carefully...