Thinking about Aikido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Music Man, Dec 7, 2015.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Well, I'm biased. I do martial arts to hit and get hit, or to throw and get thrown, a little bit every week. I have a desk job that requires a brain and ten fingers so I do not want a full-on "Fight Club," but I expect to feel a little nervous on the mat, like if I don't get out of the way you really will hit me. With that bias, I am quite leery of that Ki Aikido school. It sounds like it's not a place where I might get hit if I don't move out of the way.

The ASU one, I don't know. My old aikido school was (and still is) affiliated with that same organization. I quit because the instructors were too "soft." I was not in danger of getting hit. But that doesn't mean that this place, on the other side of the country, is bad. I simply cannot tell from this website.

2. aikiMac

Assuming the locations are suitable, RVA is the one I would visit first. I like how they talk about training with a self-defense mindset. My second visit would be Aikido of Richmond because their videos don't suck. Some of the attacks looks unstable, yes, but the nages have good posture and good connection and good flow.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  3. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

Sadly Richmond is too far away on a regular basis. That leaves the one school in northern Virginia. If that school does not work then I guess I have no choice but to choose another style.

4. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

These 2 places are in my area as possible alternatives. Japanese jujitsu or judo. I'm not sure how both styles will be on my low back, knee and wrists. What do you all think? And what do you all think about these schools?

http://www.shin-dojo.com

http://w2wma.com

5. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've trained JJJ & (for only 2 trial classes) Judo.

Depends on how they train.
    If the JJJ place doesn't spar and doesn't do any sort of randori, it will likely be easier on your body than Judo. Though I can say that practicing wrist locks for a whole class can leave your wrists pretty sore.

Judo will probably have a higher injury chance (unless the JJJ place spars with full contact/does randori).

6. aikiMac

Come on MM, think a little! Think! You come here and say, "Yo, guys, I have a bad back! What up?" And then in the next breath you say, "Yo, guys, do you think I should take hard falls?"

:rolleyes: Seriously, man, think before you type.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Judo is great, but is really really hard on the body, try the JJJ place.

8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Although the jujutsu place has you falling on wooden floors and getting wrist locked all day long so it's a bit of a lottery between which will injure him first. Or cause the most long-term damage.

I can't imagine wrist damage/tendonitis is a good thing for a drummer (think the op plays drums), where as knees tend to bother judoka the most if I'm not mistaken.

9. Dead_pool

I didnt see the wooden floors bit, its a hakko ryu derivative so it'll be aikido like....

If your heart is set on aikido, itll maybe be acceptable.....

have you tried the bjj yet?

10. Dead_pool

11. Knee Rider

BJJ for you Music Man, no arguing. Off you go. If it's good enough for Maynard Keenan it'll be good enough for you ;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

one of the aikido places i trained at had 1 layer of canvas on top of the wood floor. this was "the mat". it was incumbent on the aikidoka training there to learn to fall without getting hurt.

13. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I was lucky when training JJJ that the place had a fully-sprung floor (shared space with a gymnastics studio). It was such a gentle surface to fall onto.

The Aikido place I trained at a while back had a Tatami mat which was also pretty nice to fall on (not as nice as the fully sprung floor though).

I tried a few Judo classes at a place that just had regular mats; falling wasn't horrible on them, but it was a lot worse than falling on the sprung floor. (The 6" thick crash pads, on the other hand, were quite nice to fall onto. But you don't use those during Randori, they only brought them out when we were drilling throws a lot.)

14. aikiMac

Aye, there certainly are hard falls in aikido, but you can do quite a lot in aikido taking just rolls instead of falls. For a beginner who hasn't quite figured how to roll out of a technique, it'd be enough to just go until he starts to lose his balance.

15. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

16. Dead_pool

17. Knee Rider