Thinking about Aikido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Music Man, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Why do most quit mma after 6 weeks?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Because whereas most martial arts say they train hard, MMA gyms are too exhausted from all the hard training to say anything at all.

3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

So its because they train too hard?

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's easier to play a violin with a strained and fractured arm than it is to play violin with a concussion.

Do bjj.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Because they find out you actually have to "eat the bitter" and it is nothing like they have seen on televison

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Some girl I just started talking to said her brother meets up with his mates and they basically just fight. I sent her a couple of my videos and she showed him and apparently I'm a crap fighter :rolleyes:

7. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

It's true. I have done it for two months now. It is very painful

8. Hannibal

Hollow vessels make the most noise....

....except me - I am noisy AND awesome

9. Hannibal

It gets worse, you just learn to push through it :)

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^ Sig worthy. :happy:

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Try classes at both, then decide and train!

12. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

I know. I can't wait for 30 minute long bjj rolling sessions. That will be a blast

13. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

I've actually decided to study Aikido after all. After realizing that boxing would be too hard on my right hand I've returned to the style that I'm most interested in. I hope to start next month!

14. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

LOL! Thing is, a regular person doesn't know what fighting is. Not a clue. I don't know how to fight either (yet?) but I do know what good fighting actually entails. It's not easy to learn - to learn how to fight, you actually have to fight and its hard and scary. You must be tempted to arrange a hard sparring session with them? I've seen two of your fights on here :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  15. Dead_pool

Have you tried any dojo yet?

16. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

Yes. The only dojo in my area is Aikido in Fredericksburg (Virginia). There are dojos in northern Virginia that are also iwama style (to my knowledge). And I just found a yoshinkan aikido school in D.C. Northern Virginia is about 1 hour from my house and D.C. is about and hour and a half.

I had a few people here tell me to pass on aikido in Fredericksburg. But, I spoke with my old karate teacher and he recommend the school. But the schools up north look interesting. But it is a bit of a drive.

17. Dead_pool

Its better to train something good often, then it is to train something excellent rarely.

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Those videos on that Fredericksburg website are horrible. That's not a martial art. And importantly, it does not look like Iwama aikido, to me! Yuck!

Iwama-style is supposed to be exactly what O'Sensei was doing at that point in time. Saito's claim to fame is that he changed nothing. He taught aikido exactly, precisely as it was taught to him -- forever. Saito did everything exactly the way O'Sensei did it for the rest of his life. And Saito was a bad-ass. But that's not what the videos on that website are showing. Not at all. :dunno:

19. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

20. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

You might also consider looking around Richmond, depending on where you are in Fredericksburg.
    E.g., a quick search turned up several:
    http://www.aikidorva.com/
    www.aikido.searchofpeace.com (their website says they are Iwama)
    http://www.brandermillaikido.org/
    http://www.rivercityaikido.com/
    http://www.aikidoofrichmond.com/

(I haven't researched any of these places, and am not endorsing any of them, its just what I pulled off a quick google maps search.)

You could also check local universities and see if any have an Aikido program and allow non-university students to participate.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016