Thinking about Aikido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Music Man, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

honestly, i think i'm the least likely to get hurt in bjj than i would have been in any of the other arts i've been in. and it's not even close. that's just my experience though. i feel that because of compliance, i am more likely to get hurt in an art like aikido than bjj.

2. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

I do need to do a martial art. I feel drawn to it. I have for many years. It's something I feel I need in my life.

I know that tai chi was recommended. I know if taught well it can be effective. But no one in my area teaches it as a martial art. It's taught as an exercise form. That's not what I'm looking for.

It seems that boxing is my best choice given what I'm looking for (practical self defense skills). I am still looking to see if anything else jumps out at me though. That's why I have continued to ask questions.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Then our advice is to just get started already. You're being indecisive over nothing tbh.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The standard BJJ approach is to avoid street fights, if you do end up in a 1 vs 1, control the clinch, control the takedown, (so they end up on the concrete) and work from there.

If its more then 1 vs 1, then running or a weapon is literally the only reliable alternative.

Obviously you may disagree with those points.

Also as already said, If you like boxing, you should go boxing.

5. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

I do like boxing the best out of the classes I've taken. I have never really taken a bjj class though to be honest. So I'm not sure how it would effect my injuries. Just out of curiosity would it be easier or harder on my wrists, back and knee then boxing or not as hard as boxing on these areas?

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Honesty if you wanted practical why were you looking at aikido you were probably have more luck finding good tai chi than useful aikido .

For self defence bjj would teach you to control an opponent and escape, boxing to knock them out, both good options but since as already mentioned the chances of getting in a actual fight are so remote just pick something you actually enjoy doing and go for it

7. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

IMHO, best martial art for a street confrontation scenario is Muay Thai (I've only been doing boxing for about a year so not biased!). I've done a lot of thinking and analysis and Muay thai is pure awesomeness. And it looks good too man!

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

And it makes for great movies, too. :D
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVOQX56a9oQ"]Ong Bak - first fight (high quality video / original thai audio) - YouTube[/ame]

9. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

10. Pretty In Pink

11. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

I like the boxing class that I took a lot. But, one of my best friends teaches bjj so I'm thinking about taking a class at his school before I make my final decision. He said he believes that bjj is way easier on the body then boxing. How do you all feel about that?

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I say if it's taught by a person you know and trust then go there and give it a try. People are always going to be biased in favour of their chosen arts,hence some of the comments here, so your best bet is to stop posting and start trying. Make up your own mind!

13. Pretty In Pink

I feel like you should just start training. Training is only as hard as you make it. I can train light in any class and go every day or I can beast it twice a week. Get going already.

14. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

It's a little off topic, but, why do the people that give aikido so much crap respect Japanese jujitsu? Since aikido derives from Japanese jujitsu I would think that more people would respect it in the same way.

15. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

To make this short
    -lots of hyperbole
    -little resistance
    -limited skillset
    -trying to be modern and traditional at the same time
    -failing at both
    -loud mouths and low levels of demonstrated skill
    -and Steven Seagal who also fits into the previous category.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

A) Aikido is derived from Daito Ryu entirely based on theory and philosophy.
    B) Koryu Jujitsu systems don't really make any claims of efficacy, they just are (Koryu is a little odd)
    C) Gendai Jujitsu systems are typically viewed with suspicion on here. There are a few people doing good stuff, but there's a ton of dross.

17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Wow, I wasn't aware that there is great respect for Jap JJ these days. I've heard a lot of bad talk about it, and seen a lot of bad JJJ advertisements. I hope there is a lot of good JJJ that I've just been missing, because I'm fond of JJ. :) But to get to your point -- the hippies overran aikido a while back, and now it's hard to find the real deal.

By all accounts O'Sensei was a tough and nasty fighter, and so were his first generation students. They were not people to mess with. A huge percentage of the original aikido students were already very good at judo and/or kendo, so they knew how to move and throw and hit. Karate students then mixed in with aikido. Aikido as taught by O'Sensei could stand up to all of these martial arts -- karate punches and kicks, the swift blows of kendo guys, the grabs and off-balancing of a judoka.

But then ... O'Sensei got very, very spiritual in his old age, and a new generation of students came in who didn't have prior training, and they were captivated by his spiritual message. Their aikido is technically correct, but it lacks the "martial" content. For the most part, those people taught the current generation of teachers. Aikido teachers have no background in fighting anymore, because they never had any interest in fighting. They're into aikido just for exercise and the "love and harmony" hippie message. (As in inside joke we call them "aiki bunnies," because they're so soft and gentle, like rabbits.)

Fortunately there are a few hard schools still around, but those schools are by far the exception. :cry:

18. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

Ok guys, I have one final question on the "which style should I take" issue. I'm signing up for lessons at 1 of 2 places at the beginning of next month. Considering all that I have asked about self defense and considering my preexisting injuries, wrists low back and knee, and my profession as a musician, should I study boxing at this school http://www.staffordvapersonaltrainer.com

Or jiu jitsu at this school
    https://m.facebook.com/darciolirabjjdcva

Between boxing and jiu jitsu which one am I most likely to be injured in in training? Which am I most likely to be injured in in real life use? Which will be harder on my body to learn? Which can I stick with for life?

I have taken a lesson at the boxing school and I really liked it. The jiu jitsu school is run by one of my best friends who I used to play in a band with.

I will be signing up for lessons at one of these places. I ask for your help and advice on this topic one last time. I will not bother anyone any more on this issue after this last time. Thanks for your help and patience!

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Mmm I wasn't away people thought any more highly on JJJ than aikido :eek::bang::evil:

People respect judo, and BJJ for the same reasons and they tend to stay away from aikido and JJJ

20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

People give jjj crap the same way they give crap to Aikido and for good reason: most of their schools suffer from the compliant / pressure untested training method syndrome. The fact that aikido branched off jj has nothing to do with it. So did judo and bjj. On top of that western jjj's bad rap comes from the fact that it has become a mish-mash of techniques borrowed from various arts. Nothing wrong with it per se but it's just only in part jj.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016