Things that shouldn't have worked... but did!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jim, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Ever found yourself in a confrontation (serious or not) and done something that just shouldn't have worked but it did?

One that springs to mind is when I was about 17 and was at a party and had too much to drink (yeah, I know but it happened) when this guy I knew came up and wanted to spar me. I said that I didn't do that kind of MA but he wanted to mess around a bit and before I knew it smacked me pretty hard in the head.

I knew it was just mucking around so instead of getting all serious I did a jump kick and laid him out! (That was the short version... I haven't got much time at the mo but this post had been on my mind for a while).

Anyone else got any?

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I think one of my favorites was watching a classmate flaten a couple of "what you gonna do karate man" types.

Unfortunetly for them, they stood in perfect alignment to each other to block his path. He intended to knock out the biggest one with a spinning heel kick, but got both with the same kick. Looked like something out of movie. One kick and both baddies drop like stones.

Needless to say the challenges and the "hiiyaa's" as you walked through school stopped coming after that. :D

3. Ryoko

Ryoko New Member

thats kul. unfortunately, i hafta hold back in those kinds of situations (and by that i mean not fight at all) and not beat down the people (like i want to) because my senseis would be less-than-happy about it. but im always glad to hear a story like that. :) :D

4. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Always at parties...
    This happened a few years back. Was a at party, enjoying a cold drink and the company of some pretty girls when a drunk/jerk comes up to me. He had heard "You do karate or kung fu or some cr__, right? Show me sumpin". Now not wanting to ruin a good party ( or mood ) I politely declined. Did you know, it's hard to decline the request of a drunk? They just keep on....
    I turned to walk away, he grabbed my shoulder (hard) and tried to turn me around with the ususal "Don't walk away when I'm talking to you!". So, I did a back kick to the bottom of his drink glass, popped the ice cubes out of it and that kinda settled things. He figured if I could pop the ice out with out splashing it all over hte place, I was not one to mess with.

I tried it later, under controlled circumstances. Could never duplicate it. :D