Things that make you go GRRRRR.... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhea, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

LILOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lily likes this.
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

things that make me go grrr....well...currently... the Chinese

3. Lily

Lily Valued Member

What exactly do you mean Xue Sheng?

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I love my dog, but his "fun", jumping at my Mom or me and biting a little.
    I'm pretty sure it's a "puppy problem", but boy, it's still annoying.

Luckily he is nice and sweet overall.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Try a high pitched yelp or squeal. It's the noise dogs make when play gets too rough for them and they want it to stop. You have to ignore them as best you can too, so that they know play time is over.

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

1/2 my family is Chinese...nuff said

Lily likes this.
  7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I actually do that a lot.
    The problem is: Sometimes it works like a charm and he behaves.
    The other times he thinks it's funny and it gets worse.

And before the question comes (because it's the normal thing to ask, so it's not meant in a bad way!): Yes, I do mean it, when I squeak.
    It's not hard to pretend, because it annoys me so much, that I don't have to pretend, so to speak :D

At times, it's a ever so slightly nibbling; I let him do that.
    When it gets a bit rougher I tell him "no" and he let's go.
    Then there's the point, where I notice, he would start to get obsessed; than I would grab him and calm him down (just calling him to me, hold him a bit by the chest and pet him, so he would breath again).
    And than there's times where he just goes nut and won't listen anymore. At the moment I grab him and take him under my arm (ignoring isn't really an option there; and if he only grabs a pants leg and starts gnawing and tucking on that), carry him a few meters and put him down again - most of the times, that works.

And than there's the times where you out with him, keep walking and he jumps you from behind.
    Usually only once, so ignoring is my way to go there; I couldn'd be fast enough to do anything anyway, and I can hardly punish him in any way, when he comes back, sitting in front of me.

According to the dog school it's all normal; he's being a puppy.
    Which includes being a puppy, that needs a little longer to calm down again, than the others that are there, due to the breeds, which are in it.

Most of the times he's great, behaves good and is very obedient already, giving his age (not sure how good that is, but when he is playing, alone or with another dog, and I can call him over to me already, when there is a short break; in school they were impressed, so I hope it really is good :D ) and I love him and having him around; even though he's gnawing in everything. I go and take my shoes back now...

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Honestly I'd go no tolerance for laying on of teeth at all.
    Give him a toy to chew so he knows teeth are for food and toys and not people.

Isolate him I'd say. Leave the room, shut him somewhere safe. Show him that fun and games happen on your terms and when he breaks those terms the fun stops.
    IIRC he's a border collie type thing? That means he will need plenty of stimulation, plenty of outlets for that energy and intelligence.

Latikos and David Harrison like this.
  9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I really think that collies have too much energy. It's great if they're out working in the fields for hours every day, but all the ones I've known that are just pets seem to go nuts.

Latikos likes this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah...as you say though...go 5 hours out herding sheep in hill country and make them run 30km and they have just the right energy. :)

David Harrison likes this.
  11. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I spend over six hours at the Airport yesterday waiting for a delayed flight. By the time I arrived at the half-way point to my destination, I had missed my connection. The airline was kind enough to put me up "overnight" for a two-hour nap in a hotel and pay for breakfast. I understand that this sort of thing happens, and I'm not upset with the airline. However, lack of sleep and large crowds make me grumpy.

What causes someone to be so self-absorbed that they feel that it's fine to talk on their phone while they're using a urinal? Like what's so important that you can't wait less than two minutes? I saw this twice today!

What kind of society do we live in where adults feel that it's acceptable to wear pyjamas when they fly? I'm not an old-fashioned "Flying is an occasion! Wear a suit!" guy, but have some standards!

Sorry for the rant. I hate flying as it is, and I'm extra-miserable today. :D

axelb likes this.
  12. hewho

hewho Valued Member

People who used to come into the shops I worked in in pyjamas got my goat :mad: If you want to be comfy, throw on some shorts/trackies and a Tshirt, don't wander through my shop in your carpet slippers and onesie!

Thing currently making me go grr is that despite the company I work for recently opening a gym, some family stuff means I've not done a 'proper' workout in ages, and car insurance going out next month means limited grappling training, and probably not competing in the Shuai Jiao nationals this year. Bye Bye title :(

axelb likes this.
  13. Chimpcheng

Hayfever... Hayfever has got me bad this year. I wake up (if I get any sleep that is), unable to open my eyes properly as they are glued shut by sleepy dust, and my nose is all bunged up. I'll sit up/stand up/go the toilet, and my bunged nose takes it as a cue to start leaking - I'm sure I'm losing weight via the medium of mucus. Add that to the watery, itchy eyes, that feel like utter bliss when I rub them, but feel like I've rubbed vodka into my eyeballs the moment I stop.

Stupid hayfever, can't believe flowers and grass are laying waste to me... :mad:

14. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I can come over and vacuum your carpets, wash your sheets and throw out that vodka you keep dipping your fingers in :p

15. Chimpcheng

It's a date. Though, you should leave the vodka alone...

Lily likes this.
  16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

A bit late, I'm not much online lately.

The dog school says, that this ever so slight nibbling is okay.
    And he has toys!
    Everytime he bites in something he's not supposed to, I put him his toy in the mouth.

It has also gotten better a bit.
    Much space to get even better, but I also need to keep in mind his age.
    He's a puppy, puppies use teeth and chew on everything and I won't strangle him, even though he keeps gnawing on cables.
    We work through it in the end, I am sure, but boy, it can still be annoying :D

Can't do that.
    My flat has only door within it: To the bathroom. And in that is the litter box of the cats.

I put his mouth off my hands and ignore him, which works rather well.
    The problem situations are those, when he just gets crazy and has his five minutes.
    I've been assured that all puppies have these moments at least ;)

Yeah, dad is an Australian Shepher, Mom is a Border Collie/ Labrador (even though I have no idea, where she could hide the Labrador; I would see some long haired and smaller breed, but not a Labrador :D ).

He usually is a quick study indeed and we already take longer (very slow!) walks with him, then a puppy should.
    I make certain to walk very slow, so he can chose how fast he wants to go.

I chose to do this, because if I only went for ten minutes, he would roam the flat - and that he would do, while walking faster and jumping.
    So I decided to take longer walks, but slowly.
    I think in the end, that works better for his joints and mind, than going nuts in the flat and jumping on and off the couch a lot.

I read an interesting article, that tries to remind people, that Border Collies aren't always herding, but have time where there is nothing to do.
    Depending on the ranch or whatever that might even be entire days.

It also says, that lots of Border Collies in "normal" hands have the problem, that the owners are actually doing *too much* with them: They run to Agility and Obedience ever day, before that work the head for hours in turns with tons of games and fun - so that these dogs don't get to learn to just relax and do nothing.

Which apparently leads to lots of problems.

At the moment I regard myself lucky: The dog school I go to, is actually a bit above my budget, but both trainers own Border Collies themselves, and they don't seem to be nuts :D
    My little one played with one of them last week, and the BC was great with the puppy (putting him in place all the time; I could have kissed her! :cool: ), she behaves or does right away was she was told - and when no one was there (we were on the meadow next to the area she was in), she would just lay down, relax, roll around a little... knew how to take a break.

It's also something they make sure there: The puppies learn a bit, then get to play - and then learn: Break time.
    No playing anymore, but learn to relax, lie down and cool down.
    After that it's a short second learning session.

What also makes me go grr, not dog related (well, not directly anyway :D ): I decided to train less for the first three month.
    I don' regret it, as it has two nice side effects: I spent time with my nutcase.
    And I am more looking forward to train again.
    Both is great.
    Apparently I need(ed) the little break.

What is annoying: Now that I don't go train everyday, I'm having trouble with my stresslevels again.
    I go train and the next two days I could spent sleeping.

Within the last year I worked though it, and it only happened after seminars or gatherings/ celebrations and the such - I always sleep through at least 80% of the next day.

Now I have this, again, with regular training.
    So all the work is a bit for nothing right now :confused:

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh yeah absolutely. There are probably whole weeks and months in the winter where the sheep/cows are settled in one place where the dog will have nothing to do.
    But even then the dog will often go out on the rounds with the farmer, checking the stock, check the land, etc. And then certain days where the dog will be exhausted.
    It's more that the capacity to work is in certain breeds more than others and sometimes, without some outlet or accomodation it can cause problems.
    Most dogs (of all breeds), if walked enough (something many people neglect), given a routine and rules (something people are also slack about), given some stimulation (physical and mental) (many dogs don't get any), affection (many dogs get too much of this at the wrong times), regular food (many dogs get too many snacks) and a cozy bed (many dogs are shut out in the garden for hours or allowed to sleep with the humans and control the space) will be absolutely fine.
    I feel sorry for small terrier types that end up wearing bows and bonnets in some woman's handbag when they'd far rather be up to their elbows in mud killing rats under a chicken coop.

Frodocious and Latikos like this.
  18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I totally agree here.

Revan certainly will need to get out more then twice 30 minutes a day or whatever fantasies some people have.
    He already does and did so since he came here.
    We spent time in the garden or went for reallyyyyyy slow walks, because only in the flat he was bored (when he wasn't asleep or resting, which he luckily did and still does a lot).

I also made sure to show he as many new things as possible, so he will know them, when he gets older and has new stimuli, to learn.

When we're outside, I also make sure to call him back often, let him sit down and such - just to send him away, so he learns in simple ways to listen, behave and yet be allowed to go away again.

He gets time for himself; often he would leave the room I am in and sleep a bit in the bathroom (I think it's the coolest floor in the flat), so I don't stalk him all the time to pet or entertain him; in the contrary, I think it's good, when he goes to another room at times.

We are working on the rules ;)
    I *know* what I want or don't want him to do, but at times he has another idea, so I spend some time, taking away my socks, pants, shoes, bottles, ... ;)
    But I'm sure, we'll get there, as I am as stubborn as he is :cool:

I also hope to do some Agility or Obedience with him, but only once or twice a week. If it fits with my training hours, but here seem to be many school, so that I should find something.
    Either way, I will make sure, that he has something to do and won't die from boredom and forced stupidity - after all, that's why I chose this mix.

I do admit though: He is allowed on the couch. Just as my cats are.
    They are allowed on my bed too, but since I have a high bed, that might be a problem for the dog :D

The dog school seems to be okay with the way, he behaves, so I guess I didn't make too many mistakes (I hope so, at least).
    Now he only needs to get to grow up :p ;)

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sounds like you're being a great dog owner. Dogs are still developing until 1/2 years old anyway. With consistency I'm sure he'll be a great dog.
    One thing I took from Cesar Milan (who is a controversial figure) was the properly structured walk. So many people get their dog excited, put them straight in the car, get to a park or field and let their dog run wild for 20 mins and think that the dog has been exercised.
    I like to get a dog on a lead and walk with no stops or distractions for 15 minutes before any sort of off lead stuff or too much sniffing and exploring. "On patrol" I used to call it when I had dogs. Get them focused, calm and following me. Like wolves walking as a pack. Me controlling where went and when we stopped. Then they get to sniff, explore, run, play etc. Then another calm structured walk home.
    Too many people let their dog take them for a walk rather than the other way round!

Latikos likes this.
  20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thanks, I honestly hope so.
    I think I did a very decent job with my cats, and hope it will also work with the dog (yes, I know, they're different ;) :D )

Otherwise I will have him stuffed and put him on a shelf ;)
    I'm more than willing to take up on help, so I think, when things might hairy after all, we will both profit from that.

I watched a couple of his shows here; I think there is worst out there, but again, it was only two episodes, one of which not even whole.

Well, I don't have a driver license, so that won't be a problem.
    ;)

On a more serious note: I get him outside and usually we *have* to walk a bit, to get to some place where he can run without a leash.
    It's not necessarily 15 minutes and I let him sniff around though; he pretty much decides how fast/ slow we go, unless he starts pulling too much - then I usually walk especially slow.

I will go and pick up an advice from the school trainer, who owns the Border Collie, he played with once: When he wears his harness, he can walk around and sniff (he won't get to overdo with pulling though, as I find that incredibly annoying myself), and once the leash gets clipped on his collar, he will have to behave (she called it "primaballeria-time" so to speak :D ) and walk properly, without any pulling.

Of course he will have to learn this, but he picked it up on the harness (where we started with, despite the plan) rather well, I think.

Now he has this quirk, where he keeps sitting or lying down, when I call him over; sometimes even sitting down, after I called him.
    Little *******.

I could shake my head, when I see people getting pulled behind, just because the dog wants to go fast.
    I mean - there is pulling and pulling; and getting dragged behind - let's just say, that's no fun.
    A friend of mine had a nice dog - who drag one past him; it was *so* annoying.

What makes mo go Grrr right now: The World Cup.
    I don't care, that Germany is out of it now.
    But when it happened, some parents wrote about it in the Jitsu-Whatsapp-group and some got riled up, that they dare to write non-JJ-stuff in the group.
    Gosh, that was annoying.
    After(!) I had written, that it had to stop and that I will open a second group for fun, the other coach finally decided to write something as well.
    Seriously - she could just as well have kept her mouth closed at that point; as soon as there is conflict, she usually shuts up anyway.
    I am a bad person, but this woman is driving me crazy.